Leg Ring Help

jaquiscorpio82

Nov 12, 2009
Hebden Bridge, West Yorkshire, UK
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Just wondering if anyone could give me any ideas on how to find out more about my CAG thru his ring its a strange ring he has, with numbers on it i will attach pics bellow and maybe and hopefully someone can advise me on how i go about finding out more info about my CAG as i am 3rd owner and have no idea where he/she came from and when he she was hatched. i only have a guesstimate :/
Any info much appreciated
Cheers Jaqui
Image028-1.jpg
Image031-1.jpg
Image033-1.jpg

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
I'm not sure how it works there in the UK, it will be different per nation. Here in the US closed bands like the one in the picture are for birds bred in captivity while open bands are for wild caught birds. I suspect this grey is bred in captivity for similar reasons: a closed band can't be put on a grown bird.

Other than that you'd have to check with the government agency that issues the bands - most likely the same agency that issues permits for hunting or catching animals.

In principle one could look up who the band was issued to and for what year through such an agency, but in practice that is often easier said than done. There have occasionally been websites set up to look up this information, but they seem to come and go and not be entirely reliable. You could google around looking for one, but honestly getting info from a leg band can be a lot of work - the year issued (which is almost always the year hatched) would be the easiest to get.

Most Reactions