Light Bulb Question

skypros

Jan 18, 2014
Bend, Oregon
Parrots
Conure, Cinnamon Green Cheek "Shasta"
I have read: PROPER LIGHTING TO SUPPORT AVIAN VISION

and understand that birds need uva and uvb..... But trying to find "reasonable" priced bulbs is most challenging. I purchased a clamp on cage that uses the standard screw in base (will accept a compact florescent light "cfl").
Clamp Lamp and Incandescent Spot Lights at Drs. Foster and Smith: Portable lighting for pet birds

I have found the following "FeatherBright" CFL.... that I am sure is what I want.... But at $20 + $6 to ship..... It is really way more than I want to spend.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002JOYMO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=25O4LK0G75LAC&coliid=I4MQ4D7VD4XVP"]Amazon.com: FeatherBrite 15 Watt Full-Spectrum Bulb: Pet Supplies[/ame]

This Bulb "Bird Cage Full Spectrum Light Bulb 25 W" also says it is for birds.... But it really does not give specifications. Someone asked a question, and the seller answered.... But again no specifics. This bulb is more powerful than the FeatherBright.... and cheaper.... $13 + $6 ship
Do you folks think it will be good????
Bird Light | Bird Full Spectrum Light | Full Spectrum Bird light

I ruled out the Zoo Med.... because of the odd shape (long) and I didn't want their floor lamp that is used with the bulb.... also, I don't know what base is on it (screw in... Like a cfl ?)

Any responses will be much appreciated :green:

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
I'm not an expert in this question, but I've read some stuff about this and came to a conclusion that these lamps are a waste of money unless you keep your bird in a room without windows. I keep my parrot in the living room which has one HUGE and one regular window, and he gets plenty of light. But as I said I'm not an expert and the situations can be different… there were also threads about these lamps before so you could read them.

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
Many members will chime in and request you research the topic on the threads. Based on research that some members have done, there's a consensus that full spectrum lighting really doesn't do anything for our birds.

To effectively use a full spectrum light, it has to be kept no where beyond a distance of 24" from the cage. Positioning is also important, because at the wrong position it can cause blindness or damage the skin if it's too powerful. There is also the concern of long term effects, such as cancer.

Moreso than reasonably price bulbs, I would suggest natural light if at all possible. While windows are good, the rays that birds need from the sun are filtered out by them. Ultimately, they need a minimum of 15 minutes a week in direct, natural sunlight.

Some members swear by them, others swear they're useless. And personally, I don't feel they make a difference. If I was placed in a room with no windows but was provided with a full spectrum light, I highly doubt I'd receive the same benefits as actual sunlight. Artificially produced bulbs are normally made to compliment rather than replace.

Before making a purchase, I would highly suggest researching both pros and cons and try to find solid evidence (as in scientifically published and peer reviewed articles, not just blog posts or "parrot info" sources).

Most Reactions