Like a bat

JamesC

Sep 3, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Parrots
Blue Crown Conures: Tootsie and Rosco.
Senegal Parrot: Sidney.

Feathers of the past:
Budgies: Sunshine, Digit, Kiwi, and Yahto.
Senegal Parrot: Kelly.
"Fly free, little ones. Love and miss you."
My senegal Sidney has an interesting way of protesting something he does not like. He hangs upside down and swings back and forth. Sometimes 15 - 20 minutes or more. So he is with me now after the 2nd leg of a 3 day road trip. Sleepily perched on my shoulder grinding his beak. Definitely ready for sleep but I'm letting the blue crowns have some mutual preening time before I put everyone to bed and turn out the lights.

Sid did something really funny the first night of the trip. It started getting dark and he didn't like still moving, rattling and shaking when he wanted to sleep. So inverted he went and started rocking. Thinking that it would help him relax a little, I mostly covered his cage and put the map light on so he would have a night light like he is used to. The drive continues and he seems to settle down so I lift the blanket to peek at him expecting to find him with his butt planted in his food bowl like he has been doing for a lot of the trip. Nope, instead he is fast asleep hanging upside down. Eyes closed and dead to the world.

It was really cute. Wish I could have gotten a picture of it. Anyone ever have their birds sleep while hanging?

Ok, the blue crowns are starting to get a little contentious so I think that grumpy birds need some sleep. And so do I.

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
hahah that is adorable!!!! i know a lot of birds that love hanging upside down, but never one that actually sleeps like that :p

Zuzu

Sep 24, 2012
Media
Sloan,NY
Parrots
Sengal Parrot
I have seen it, our Zeus does it while on a clothsline outside or while inside his main cage, those big bendable ropes, he'll hang upside down and just chill, or look around or if something catches his eye on the bottom of cage

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
Aww, cute! Puck would fall asleep leaning against and holding on to the side of his cage, when he were in a moving car.

OP
JamesC

JamesC

Sep 3, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Parrots
Blue Crown Conures: Tootsie and Rosco.
Senegal Parrot: Sidney.

Feathers of the past:
Budgies: Sunshine, Digit, Kiwi, and Yahto.
Senegal Parrot: Kelly.
"Fly free, little ones. Love and miss you."
Well, the trip is over and Sidney did it again for the last portion of the trip. Wisconsin roads can be rough sometimes so I suppose it was partly his way of absorbing the bumps and shakes. He is contentedly snuggled up to my neck now grinding his beak.

Glad that is done. Hated subjecting the three birds to all that fuss and hassle moving up here. Especially with the cold weather settled in. But was something that I needed to do. Still, would rather have moved in June when the days are long and warm.

Most Reactions