Lindsey's new Parrotlet

Minzer84

Mar 14, 2007
Massachusetts
Parrots
Iggy- YCA
You think that would be exciting enough for him? I just don't want him getting bored sitting on a basket, but I wouldn't want to overwhelm him with a really busy play gym either...what do you do with him now?

OP
Deanna

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Mojo the magnificent Maximillian Pionus; Cecil the clowny Senegal; and, Timothy the shy, fearful Parrotlet
You think that would be exciting enough for him? I just don't want him getting bored sitting on a basket, but I wouldn't want to overwhelm him with a really busy play gym either...what do you do with him now?

He gets the master bedroom bed to play on. He can scamper here and there (hides in the pillows) (with foot toys and millet strewn about) ... very unimaginative, actually :( ... I doubt he would get bored with a basket prettied up with toys.

Minzer84

Mar 14, 2007
Massachusetts
Parrots
Iggy- YCA
very unimaginative, actually

Don't say that!! I bet that he thinks that's a giant field to frolick in!! I let Iggy run around on the couch with toys sometimes and he has a lot more fun on there than he does on his play gym most of the time. I think he likes that I'm playing WITH him and that he can go any which direction he wants :D So I think running around on the bed is great. I was just thinking if we're eating or doing something else at the moment, he could have somewhere in whatever room we're in to occupy himself when he's not on us. I can't find any natural material baskets though, I was thinking I could accessorize it myself, but I'll keep looking...

OP
Deanna

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Mojo the magnificent Maximillian Pionus; Cecil the clowny Senegal; and, Timothy the shy, fearful Parrotlet
Don't say that!! I bet that he thinks that's a giant field to frolick in!! I let Iggy run around on the couch with toys sometimes and he has a lot more fun on there than he does on his play gym most of the time. I think he likes that I'm playing WITH him and that he can go any which direction he wants :D So I think running around on the bed is great. I was just thinking if we're eating or doing something else at the moment, he could have somewhere in whatever room we're in to occupy himself when he's not on us. I can't find any natural material baskets though, I was thinking I could accessorize it myself, but I'll keep looking...

Would a hobby store have natural material baskets? I bet they would...for fairly inexpensively.

Timothy likes to play hide and seek ... he hides and you CHASE and seek. Be mindful with Timothy that chasing is not a positive thing (remember being chased at his old home?). I try to head him off at the pass and monitor his directional movements ... making human contact as positive as possible. Try playing peek-a-boo with a washcloth or small light towel. Something he can run under and hide, but you still have control without chasing him.

But, yes, a simple interactive playstand to be in the room where you are at is a good idea. He doesn't have one now :(

Minzer84

Mar 14, 2007
Massachusetts
Parrots
Iggy- YCA
Yea, I'll keep looking for a basket in shops around here, I have some time to find one. And I'll be sure never to chase him! Iggy loves peek a boo, but he covers his beak/face with his foot, lol. We'll have to get a little peek a boo washcloth :) Stop making those sad faces, there's no reason for them! Sounds like you interact with him a lot rather than putting him on a gym and not paying any attention to him! Silly Anna, no more :( .... only :D from now on!

OP
Deanna

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Yea, I'll keep looking for a basket in shops around here, I have some time to find one. And I'll be sure never to chase him! Iggy loves peek a boo, but he covers his beak/face with his foot, lol. We'll have to get a little peek a boo washcloth :) Stop making those sad faces, there's no reason for them! Sounds like you interact with him a lot rather than putting him on a gym and not paying any attention to him! Silly Anna, no more :( .... only :D from now on!

Ok kiddo ... :D from here on out!

(My :( are more at my own recognition that I brought Timothy into my family before I was ready ... my :D are because of knowing he is going to the most terrific home a person could wish for). :60:

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
wow this is sooo coool - Parot Forums success story :) looks like everyones going to be happy!

hey Minz you don't happen to want to take in an obsessive egg laying cockatiel too do you?

OP
Deanna

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Pictures!!!! :35: :D :35:

http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x315/getyourmojoon/Parrots/Timothy/

There are two pics that show Chase how to hold lil Timothy ;) (very easy :D), one pic of Boo on Timothy's cage being a guardian angel when he was sick, one pic of Timothy's cobalt blue underwing ... one pic of Timothy by himself in all his cuteness ... and one pic of me & Timothy.

Enjoy!

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
|Cockatiels:Tara and Shylo|
Budgies:Fresca and Domino|
Senegal Parrot: Kayto|
Oh, yes, very nice cage. Does this have an access door on BOTH top and bottom or just bottom (I can't tell by the pic). (Looks like just bottom).

Minz, the bar spacing on this one is fine for Timothy. I am just wondering about hand access...I'd personally prefer top and bottom if available.

Yes, it has two big doors on the front, as well as two smaller doors on the upper left and right side which are meant for breeding boxes, but i call em' fire exits. :D.... since right now i don't think I'll be buying my tiels boy friends/hubbies.
here's picture which may outline the doors better

birdsandme015.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Deanna

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Timothy did terrific during our photoshoot today! We played step-up ladder and I exhausted him (in fun) with about 25 step-ups! Then he tired of my game and made a bee-line up my arm and nestled into my hair. Minz...he's gonna make a nest in that beautiful hair of yours!

Right now, he's just 'hangin' on the side of his cage (that is his favorite way of perching) ... a cool little dude just hangin'! LOL :D

Minzer84

Mar 14, 2007
Massachusetts
Parrots
Iggy- YCA
hey Minz you don't happen to want to take in an obsessive egg laying cockatiel too do you?

I'll trade you for an angry screaming Amazon ;)

Minz...he's gonna make a nest in that beautiful hair of yours!

Hahaha, I was telling a doctor that I work with that parrotlets like to nest in your hair, and he alluded to what else they'll do in your hair while they are there...I just smiled and said I would make sure not to let him in my hair before a hot date or job interview :D

He's a very beautiful little birdy, Chase is still amazed at the size, but getting more and more excited about having him here...it's very cute, lol. Thanks again for taking/finding/uploading the pictures :)

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
OMG I missed the pics somehow, :eek: They are beautiful you have done a real good job with him and should be very proud of yourself.

Lindsey you are getting such a pretty little guy. CONGRATS again. :D

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
I missed them too as I was reading all the new posts!:eek:

I just came back and saw them!He is so tiny and adorable Deanna!:D

I loved them!:D

OP
Deanna

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
I missed them too as I was reading all the new posts!:eek:

I just came back and saw them!He is so tiny and adorable Deanna!:D

I loved them!:D

pheob ... Timothy is called a Pacific Parrotlet and P'lets are the smallest parrot in the world! :D

Timothy sends scritches and nibbles to all!

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
I and fids send back Timothy scritches and hugs!:60:

I think I'll go look up some things about them, they are really interesting tiny birds..:D

Most Reactions