Linoleum, sunlamps and snuggle huts!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
So, since we decided the custom stainless cage we *really* want is simply out of budget at the moment, we are going to get another powder coat for Kiwi in a larger size than his current cage, but the same dimensions we will likely want for a custom stainless in the future. The new cage will be a 32X24X61, which I think will suit Kiwi well. Since the cage is significantly cheaper than a 'cheap' stainless one, I have some 'left over' money to add a full spectrum lamp. Also going to replace the rug under his cage with linoleum, get him a large stainless swing for inside the cage and make him a new snuggle hut +custom fitted cage cover+new liners due to the bigger tray and I'm devising a system to make waterproof-backed covers for the seed guards too to prevent rust (can we all ssy S-P-O-I-L-E-D??? lol :green:). Few questions-

The linoleum will be on carpet. His cage 'puckers' the rug due to the weight and plushness of the carpet underneath. Will it 'pucker' the linoleum too, or is there a way to prevent that? I'm just getting one of those big rolls of it, nothing fancy. Perhaps a sheet of plywood underneath (though I would like to NOT do that if at all possible)?

I am looking at a featherbrite lamp. Anyone use these, and if so, how does you bird like it? I know the actual 'health' benefits on these lamps is questionable, but as an AZ native, Kiwi did seem sad up here in OR last winter, and LOVES my SAD lamp (which I keep in the kitchen). If nothing else, I think he would enjoy a bright lamp on his cage! Also curious how to protect the cord? That arm thing isn't going to protect it when he's out of his cage!

What is the best shape IYO for a snuggle hut? I am aware of the 'controversial' points of them, but Kiwi doesn't chew on his, he sleeps in it. His has been washed so many times over the years, some of the stitching is falling out and it's just time to make a new one. I made his like a 'tent' but I saw some *super cute* ones shaped like an upside-down basket with a hole in the front that are a bit more 'cave-like'. Any opinions on whether to try the same style or perhaps a new shape?

Last edited:

Aphios

Mar 13, 2014
I live in the mountains on a farm. It is so much
Parrots
I have 2 conures. One is a Sun named Mango who is my little gymnast and he is two years old. Kiwi, a mischievous little Green Cheek is one and a half.
In regard to the snuggle hut shape it really just depends on your bird, my conures prefer square shaped. I believe I posted some instructions about a DIY snuggle hut. I will search for the instructions if you are interested in making your own.

Hope your parrot renovations are going well!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I have 2 featherbrite swag lamps/lights and my birds LOVE them. :)

Granted, the birdroom has changed since this photo was taken, but the lamps are still there.

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
I made him the one he uses now, but that was about 6 years ago! I managed to delete all my photos off photo bucket, but somehow it's still my 'profile picture' of him in his current hut. This is the style I thought would be super cute for him, only with an arched opening and no bottom (so it could go over a perch)-

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Hammock-Hanging-Hamster-Ferret-Chinchilla/dp/B00MTFY5XM/ref=sr_1_218?ie=UTF8&qid=1417284782&sr=8-218&keywords=bird+hut"]Amazon.com : Pink Hammock Hanging Bed Nest House for Rat Hamster Ferret Rabbit Chinchilla XL : Pet Supplies[/ame]

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Aphios- I thought it was too, but with Kiwi's size bird, he's not going to sit in something with a fabric bottom (his big butt would rip the seams! lololol).

Wendy- How many hours a day do you keep those lamps on? Also, how often to those pricey bulbs go out? Are the like the UVA/UVB reptile bulbs that last a few years or do they go out frequently.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Wendy- How many hours a day do you keep those lamps on? Also, how often to those pricey bulbs go out? Are the like the UVA/UVB reptile bulbs that last a few years or do they go out frequently.

I actually buy the bulbs at Lowe's, and they last well over a year. I started off using the expensive bulbs:
Brite107-15W Featherbrite Full Spectrum Spiral 15 Watt Bulb - FULL SPECTRUM LIGHTING

But found that these work just as well.
Shop Utilitech 4-Pack 13-Watt (60W) T3 Medium Base Natural Daylight CFL Bulbs ENERGY STAR at Lowes.com=

Mine are on timers. They come on at 8AM sharp. Then they go off at 11AM (because I let them out). Back on again from 2PM-6PM.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Do you have an idea yet where you're getting the cage? Or the brand or style? It will be nice I'm sure :).

I've never used a hut, I call a certain perch their "bed" Lol. Griffin has a small seagrass mat that is hung like a (square) hammock, and he loves it. He uses it as his daytime bed. It's so cute. :)

I may also be interested in the lamps in the future. I hear that the negative is that you don't know at what point the "full" spectrum has run out, and is just basically a light. I guess they must have a guideline, and you could just estimate your hours used?

I admit my guys can really use it. Outdoor Poicephalus parrots get black eye rings (skin)... I wonder if it would happen with the lamps, or if it wouldn't unless there was many hours of exposure everyday. *rhetorical question*

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
The linoleum will be on carpet. His cage 'puckers' the rug due to the weight and plushness of the carpet underneath. Will it 'pucker' the linoleum too, or is there a way to prevent that? I'm just getting one of those big rolls of it, nothing fancy. Perhaps a sheet of plywood underneath (though I would like to NOT do that if at all possible)?

Yes & it will probably punch through at every leg/wheel.....vinyl/linoleum is designed to be installed over solid/hard substrates.....

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
i agree with weco. The linoleum will need a backing of some type. Maybe something like "pegboard" would work, or even plexiglass. I've used linoleum in the birds rooms before (even up the walls) and it works great.Of course it might be cheaper to get a "chair mat" from walmart. (it goes under roll around office chairs).I've also use pieces of "pond liners" and rubber roofing material. About the snuggle hut,,, can't believe you use one with no issues. Can't believe he doesn't chew on it?? My zons would think "nest" in an instant. To be honest i have seen zons roost in shoe boxes and the alike. That wouldn't work around my house. The best "roost box" i've seen was used by the folks at the Oasis Parrot Sanctuary. They use a wooden box with perches inside that has no bottom to it. Mine are used to roosting on top or inside their cage. BTW i now have access to a TIG welder and SS parrot cages are coming soon.

Last edited:
OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Weco- I may just put a sheet of something solid under it then or cut holes around the wheels. I'm just tired of cleaning poop out of the rug I use to protect the carpet. Got a HUGE roll of linoleum for $25 at Home Depot, so even if I screw up one 'mat' I'll have more than enough to make another using a different method.

Henpecked- Kiwi just sleeps in his hut. There's no holes or anything from him chewing it, and I've had it in his cage since we got him. He likes it a lot. My moms zons have had those fuzzy "birdie buddies" for years too and neither of them have ever bothered them either. My moms female DYH has a HUGE wood nest box (I think maybe for a chicken or turkey or something lol, it's BIG) and will rip up paper towels and newspaper if you put it in there but she just cozies up in the snuggle hut in her cage. The male GCA doesn't bother his either.

I can't wait to see those cages BTW! You're going to be very busy making cages for your large flock of zons! We still ultimately want a stainless cage, but we want to wait to have a custom made one so it can be to our exact specifications instead of buying one that really isn't everything we wanted. But 4 grand at this time in life would be much better used towards a down payment on a home rather than a cage for Kiwi. He can 'suffer' in a $400 one for a few more years;)

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I think we can come up with a good cage for a lot less than that. Of course i need to practice on my own cages for awhile.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
I think you would be better served by using a piece of 1/2" plywood sized to accommodate the size of the cage, anything thinner would probably break through & poke through the vinyl/linoleum.....you might want to re-think cutting holes, lest that's where the unforeseen buildup occurs.....then cut a piece of your vinyl to cover the plywood & allow a 3-4 inch overlap on the back & use stainless steel staples to attach it.....

Since you've found a good deal on vinyl, if you are going to eventually be cutting a lot of small pieces out of it, you might find a package of hook blades for a standard, retractable utility knife, much easier for cutting your vinyl than straight blades.....

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Good idea to use plywood or something stiff and supportive underneath. I have those plastic carpet protecter runners under mine, and the puckers and folds drive me nuts.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I've used sheet linoleum under my cages with no backing for five years now, and haven't had any problems with it punching through.

My biggest problem is a certain CAG and a certain LCA waddling around on the floor chewing up the corners of it. That's an expensive chew toy!

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
I think you would be better served by using a piece of 1/2" plywood sized to accommodate the size of the cage, anything thinner would probably break through & poke through the vinyl/linoleum.....you might want to re-think cutting holes, lest that's where the unforeseen buildup occurs.....then cut a piece of your vinyl to cover the plywood & allow a 3-4 inch overlap on the back & use stainless steel staples to attach it.....

Since you've found a good deal on vinyl, if you are going to eventually be cutting a lot of small pieces out of it, you might find a package of hook blades for a standard, retractable utility knife, much easier for cutting your vinyl than straight blades.....

It's a 6'X8' roll. Right now, I have a 3X5 rug under his current (smaller) cage and it just barely catches poop when he's sitting on the door. When the new cage arrives, I think I'm going to go for a 56X48" 'surface' for it to sit on (1' clearance on all sides). Kiwi isn't a major food flinger or anything (though bits of food do make their way out of his cage), but mostly he likes to sit on the door of his cage and poop:31: It's like he knows that's the only point he can poop off of and it will hit the floor instead of the seed guard:20: I don't have that kind of stapler, so I was going to glue it down and duct-tape around the edges (and replace the duct tape when needed). I have a steam cleaner now, so I don't need to move the cage outside anymore, so it won't be ripping up the duct tape. Hopefully, within a year or 2, we will be able to buy a house and then I can do a more 'permanent' solution for flooring around his cage. Right now, I just don't want him pooping on the carpet in a rented apartment!

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Sorry KB, I was reading your post as you were putting the cage on carpeting, which usually has at least a 3/8" foam pad pad under it & my replies were based on the thinking that you were laying the vinyl on the carpet, causing an unsuitable surface, so just disregard what I said regarding the vinyl/linoleum.....

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
No, you were correct that it will be on carpeting. Thick carpet too. I was thinking of gluing/duct taping it to the plywood sheet instead of stapling since I do not have a stapler.

Birdman- is your linoleum on carpet or a hard floor though?

Most Reactions