Look At Who Came Out Of His t All On His Own!

Fae88

Oct 10, 2013
Ohio
Parrots
Bruno (male Grey Cockatiel, under a year old)
So I was sitting in front of Bruno's cage talking and singing to him as usual. I opened up the smallest door and left it open. I did it mainly so I could place my hand in his cage.

He was pretty content with my hand and didn't hiss or spook. I removed my hand and continued to talk to him. Then he went to get a drink of water. On his way back across the cage, he decided to climb out!

At first he was content to eat seed, that had been spilled outside his cage. I guided him slightly with my hands, so he would'nt go to far. Then out of nowhere he hopped up on my hand!!!!!

We sat together for about 30 min. He moved from arm to arm and even ate seed and veggies from my hands and lap! He was especially mystified by my freckles and arm hairs lol.

I sang to him and that made him climb on my chest and play with my necklace and preen my hair.

He wanted on my shoulder but so many people told me, it's not a good idea to let young untrained on your shoulder. He probley would have been fine but when I asked him to "step up", he decided that meant fly around my room.

Needless to say me having to catch him spooked him a little. I put him back in his cage and he went to his "security corner". I hope it's not a set back. Right now I am in another room giving him space.

Either way I am so proud of my brave bird today!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1383244527897.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1383244527897.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 271
  • uploadfromtaptalk1383244541349.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1383244541349.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 219
OP
Fae88

Fae88

Oct 10, 2013
Ohio
Parrots
Sorry about the title mistake. It drives me crazy typing out posts on my iphone.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
that is awesome!!! you just never know when they decide your 'ok', lol

it's ok to have cockatiels on your shoulder, just not large parrots.

don't worry about him being spooked, I'd go back and do the exact same thing again, and see if he comes out again. let him fly around, just try to entice him with millet or something he REALLY likes when you need to get him back into his cage....remember don't rush and take your time, and oh one more thing,,remember to breath, lol.

OP
Fae88

Fae88

Oct 10, 2013
Ohio
Parrots
Thanks Crimson and good to know about the shoulder deal! Lol I don't think I took a breath for a few minutes when he first hopped on me. All I could think was "OMG OMG OMG I can't believe it! OMG AWESOME!" lol.

Right now I am back in his room and he is being just as curious and into me, as he was prior to flying around the room. Now that I know it is cool for him to be on my shoulder, I will definitely open the door again later and see if he wants to venture out. If not that's fine. But if he willingly comes to me again, I will be so psyched!! :)

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
I know how exactly that feels!!. it's amazing, and your right all you think about is OMG, OMG, ha ha.

just remember they get spooked very easily with quick movements.

one of the best ways to relax is lie on the bed, you will automatically relax, and he will enjoy spending that time with you, and trust you a little more as well.

I had a similar experience today with my Jardine --Willow....you just never know when you're going to say OMG, haha.
I posted it on here today :)

chasy

Nov 5, 2013
NH
Parrots
Tango, cockatiel (Affectionately referred to as "Tango-bird", "birdy-guy", and more!)
Oh my goodness!!! I love your post, Fae88!!! I haven't gotten my tiel to come out of his cage yet, but 1) I haven't tried and 2) he's only been with us a week so I'm not sure if I SHOULD be trying. But I'm so excited to read about your experience because I know my guy will have one of his own exactly when he's ready!! (And I plan to try soon-ish.)

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts