Looking at a Golden Collard in the morning

PanZon

May 9, 2014
Tucson
Parrots
Military Macaw
Hello all, well it has happened, I have become so jealous of my wifes relationship with her Military that I am looking at getting my own mini Mac.
A 3 year old, DNA male.
I have done my online research, but I wanted to ask if anyone has personal experience with the Golden Collared Macaw/Yellow-Collared?

Tips/tricks/training advice? Do mini Macs go through as bad a hormonal stage as say my Pan 'zon?

EAI

Jul 25, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Parrots
Budgerigar: Arrow, Esther, Kratos, Cora, Ducky.

Lovebird: Izzy, Gizmo.
Don't have any advice, hopefully I can bump this up so some owners can see
but I hope everything comes out great!

OP
P

PanZon

May 9, 2014
Tucson
Parrots
Military Macaw
Thank you Lil, that was some good info! I did go and meet him, he is actually 7, a beautiful bird, much smaller than i was expecting. He is in wonderful feather.He is very energetic, jumped right on me, talked and danced all along my arms, he hopped right up on my wife when she put her hand up. He did not let me give him "scritchens" yet. I did turn my head to fast and he snapped at my glasses, he also screeched at the dogs barking. That wasnt nearly as loud as our Military. He talks A LOT! I would safely say he rambled nonstop for 20 minutes, with 50 different phrases and whistles, and when i stopped paying attention to him, he looked me right in the face and said (as loud as he could) WHAT!

I put a refundable deposit on him. I will visit him again in a week, and if i think it is still a good fit I will be bringing home a new buddy.

Last edited:
OP
P

PanZon

May 9, 2014
Tucson
Parrots
Military Macaw
Here is Tiki! I pick him up on Friday! So excited!

Last edited:

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I am excited for you! I can't see this picture for some reason though :(

OP
P

PanZon

May 9, 2014
Tucson
Parrots
Military Macaw
gaaaaaarrrrrgggg, im not using imageshack anymore, lol

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
NOW I CAN SEE IT! So so pretty! Congrats!

OP
P

PanZon

May 9, 2014
Tucson
Parrots
Military Macaw
one of the coolest/best parts is he is already flight harness trained!

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
That's fantastic! I love taking my birds outside :) And to the pet store :) Actually, anywhere!

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Lilac Crowned Amazon (Bacci- Forever on my shoulder, forever in my heart.)
Yellow Collared Macaw (Loki the Monkey Bird)
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
I am so excited for you, because I know, first hand, how AWESOME your life is about to become. I am the ridiculously proud Birdy Momma to a 1 year old Yellow Collared Female, named Loki. She is my baby, my love, my sweet little girl, and she puts a smile on my face every day. She is the smartest of our flock, by far. The most amenable to training, the most eager to try new things, the most adventurous eater, and an all around pleasure. I could seriously go on for AGES about how awesome this bird is. You are about to meet your best friend! I'm so happy for you!
If I have one word of caution, it would be to not let your YCM become a Velcro bird.MIT could easily happen. Mine loves being on me, more than anything. I have to train her, and be vigilant in keeping her in the right areas, other than my chest & shoulder, which are privilege areas, and she needs permission to be there.
Lokis flight feathers are growing in, and we safely practice recall in the house, and she is great in her harness. I can bring her anywhere.
If you have any YCM questions, or just want to talk to someone who is insanely passionate about their YCM, you can always contact me. Oh and there is a YCM page on Facebook.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

OP
P

PanZon

May 9, 2014
Tucson
Parrots
Military Macaw
@BirdyMomma, Tiki is already pretty much a velcro bird, no aggression to anyone, nor preference to sexes, but always wants to be one me. His previous owner kept him fully flighted all 7 years. I am in the mindset that it would be wrong of me now to take that away, however, it also means that Tiki can find me wherever I am!
He loves attention, loves dancing (almost to the point that it seems OCD), he just wants to be on my shoulder bobbing up and down and talking up a storm. He talks more than my 'zon!

OP
P

PanZon

May 9, 2014
Tucson
Parrots
Military Macaw
here some new pics and updates on Tiki. He has decided that HE must be the loudest in the house, and he actively tries to out call the others. If they get louder so does he, if they whistle he must screech, if they talk he must yell it!

IMAG0283.jpg

IMAG0284.jpg

IMAG0285.jpg

IMAG0288.jpg

IMAG0292.jpg

IMAG0294.jpg

Most Reactions