Looking for advice...Biting conure, among other crazy antics.

Chel_C

Aug 4, 2011
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
2 Black capped conures
Hi Everyone! New here and I am looking for some advice. I have two Black capped conure brothers, 8 months old, flighted. Weā€™ve had them for 4 months. They are real sweet hearts and we love them to bits, but there are some issues that seem to be getting worse as time goes by and Iā€™d like some feedback. Their set up is in the kitchen, so they can see us come home, in the living room etcā€¦

When ever we just get home, or have been MIA for a while and come up to their cage, they of course get all excited and crazyā€¦.but in the frenzy Rambo (who I assume is the ā€˜alphaā€™) will always attack the other brother Shade very roughly. Without thinking I have yelled stop or something along those lines several timesā€¦possibly encouraging the behavior. Other than in these moments of excitement, when they havenā€™t seen us in a while, the boys get along awesome and are inseparable. Not sure how I can prevent this from happeningā€¦should I completely ignore itā€¦should I walk away when it starts ā€¦?? Is this a jealously thing, or him claiming me and letting Shade know? Like I said, it only happens when they are super excited. Which is daily...when we get home and go over to say hi after being gone for hours.

The other problem, and it may be relatedā€¦is Shade. He wants to bite hands and fingersā€¦and earsā€¦ necksā€¦basically SKIN. When they were younger the bites werenā€™t so hard, and we would either ignore it or try and get him interested in something else. A few times we have lost control and yelped ā€“ but mostly we would ignore it, or say no bite, give him a dirty look and move his attention to something else. He is at a point now where if you go to pet his head or have your fingers vulnerable he will 9 times out of 10 go for them. When I have them out I am constantly watching him and trying to work with it so he may get me once in a half hour or so. Sometimes you could be just sitting there minding your own business and he come over just to bite you. (More so with my boyfriend than me) But he doesnt act angry or upset, or excited/playful...he's calm, cool..and then bites.

Clearly I am doing or have done something wrong and I would really like to correct it! Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Most Reactions

Latest posts