Looking for new addition

Kimfaith1

Feb 26, 2024
Parrots
2 cockatiels and one Budgie
In search of a small to medium parrot that can talk. Age or sex doesn't matter. I'm located in New Jersey. Not interested in having my new bird shipped. No scammers please

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Friend Kim, no parrot or parrot species is guaranteed to talk. Much has to do with the individual parrot. Lots of Greys don't ever say a word, some conurs talk a lot. Talking is not something that should be on the list of "Must Haves" because it may just not happen.

OP
K

Kimfaith1

Feb 26, 2024
Parrots
I do understand that. That's why age is not important. Many that have to rehome their birds know if they have some sort of vocabulary. I will just keep searching til the right one comes along.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I am not sure of your experience with parrots. May I ask if you already have experience with parrots? They are so much work. I adore my parrots but I never recommend them as pets. Shelters are full of parrots. I used to volunteer at one. The reasons I often heard for rehoming were because the parrot is too loud, they are mean, they are messy, and that there wasn’t enough time. All of the above is true! Parrots can be this way, and it’s in their nature. Yes distractions like toys can help with some of the above but birds will be birds. If you are just taking on a parrot I myself would steer most away.

If you already have parrots, love them, and know exactly what they are like… I would tell you to call around to your local shelters. That way you can meet the parrots, and see which one picks you. Parrots have a funny way of picking their owners, and letting those who aren’t suitable know that the relationship won’t be working out. Parrots can also be picky, and if they don’t like you they may never like you. A shelter would give you the opportunity to get to know a parrot before fully committing to a situation that may not work out.

OP
K

Kimfaith1

Feb 26, 2024
Parrots
I have two 3 year old cockatiels and a parakeet. I work for family and have a indoor and a large outdoor cage my father built that tunnels frim my office to the outside. During warmer weather I take turns taking the cockatiels to work with me. My parakeet is bonded with both cockatiels so she's never left by herself. Now I'm just searching for a new addition.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
That’s good that you already have experience with some parrots. What kind of parrot are you looking for? I know you said small to medium. Medium can be considered an African grey, or some may consider a conure a mid sized parrot. That way we can give advice based upon that. The larger the parrot obviously the larger the cage. Do you care about noise levels?

Most Reactions