Looking for the right match

spidervalve100

Aug 15, 2013
Utah
Hi all,

New member here looking for some good advice on what type of parrot I would be best for. I have experience with conures. About 4 years ago I adopted a pineapple green cheek conure who recently passed away after (rest in peace Stan). He was the sweetest cuddle buddy anyone could ask for. The house is just too quite without his little chirps and kisses.

I work from 9-5, but im home for about 30 minutes at noon for lunch. I have a yellow lab who absolutely loved my Stan. She would follow him, howl with him, share her water bowl and even share her bone with him (her just liked perching on it). I am married with no children (and none in the planning for a decade or so). I have a house and have my cage right between the living room and kitchen. I have had experience with rehabilitating 3 conures (my parents 2 sun conures) and my Stan who were all from poor homes and were incredibly territorial. I know I can dedicate over 3 hours of out of cage time:at least 1 hour of training and one on one play time, and the rest either hanging out with me or just on the cage or play pin time. I usually dont cage while home.

My biggest problem I had come across on the web is all the conflicting information (and the local breeders and pet stores I spoke with just want to sell me on a bird). For instance, I have been particularly interested in an African gray for years. Online says 3 hours out of cage time. I dont believe for one second a bird that intelligent only needs 3 hours. Thats why I would like some of your input.

I have been looking into a few species: B&G Macaw, Solomon Island Eclectus, Bf Amazon (I am concerned about the aggressiveness of these guys), Hahns Macaw, Severe Macaw, and African Grey. Unfortunately I dont think I do another conure (reminds me of Stan) and I would like to look into a larger bird anyway. I would like a bird that can be cuddly, affectionate, easy going, calm, and talkative. I also want to make sure I have more than enough time for the parrot I chose.

Also, my wife is a bit skittish with some of the larger parrots, or overly aggressive birds. I know I can handle them but im not sure if she will be able to. Should I stick with a smaller breed such as a Hahns Macaw or Quaker? Is there anything else I should consider? I am in no hurry because I want to do all the research I can before making any decisions. Thanks again in advance for all your help.

Pajarita

Banned
Banned
Jul 11, 2013
I don't think that smaller species are less bitey than larger ones. If that is the case, it's certainly not my experience with them - my nastiest birds have always been on the smaller side: Senegal, quakers, sun conures, I also have large ones that are aggressive but they are either wild-caught or abused male amazons while the mean smaller ones were all hand-fed.

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo
Three hours doesn't seem like enough to keep a bird emotionally satisfied to me - I try to aim for six if not a little more, although I don't aim to be hands on with her all the time. She's quite happy hanging out on a play stand or java tree with people around for company for some of that.

I've no experience of bigger birds in terms of handling but even my little galah needs a huge cage and lots of toys to give her enough to keep her occupied whilst I'm in work, so bear in mind with eclectus or B&G macaws they take up a lot of space relative to a conure!

OP
S

spidervalve100

Aug 15, 2013
Utah
Three hours doesn't seem like enough to keep a bird emotionally satisfied to me - I try to aim for six if not a little more, although I don't aim to be hands on with her all the time. She's quite happy hanging out on a play stand or java tree with people around for company for some of that.

I know 3 hours didnt sit well with me either. These are smart animals who need alot of stimulation. Like I said I can give 3+, 3 would be those days where I get caught up late at work or something (even then my wife should be home). 4-5 hours would probably be the norm for me if I count mornings, lunch, and after work. And weekends Im always home (bird out all day). My house is pretty good size with plenty of room for a LARGE cage. My biggest fear is not being able to spend enough time with the parrot. Thats why I dont think even considering an african grey in my situation would be fair to the bird, im just not sure which information is right on the net.

Karigan

Jul 3, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Kitoko: Female Senegal Parrot, born 2002
Talia: Female CAG, born 2008
Mateo: Female CAG, born 2008
I sometimes only have 3 hours or so to give my CAGs out of cage time, so I make sure to fill their cage with more toys than they know what to do with. More out time is better, but you make do with what you can give. The bigger the cage, the more toys that can fit comforably. If your schedule keeps consistent, you could manage a grey in your home.

TreeBee

Jul 13, 2013
Media
Crestview Florida
Parrots
Goffin Cockatoo (Silas)
Congo African Grey (Banjo)
Yellow Naped Amazon (Aurora)
B & G Macaw ( Marley )
Scarlet Macaw ( Phoenix )
We have a Goffin Cockatoo and he's my first bird that I have had. Silus is a great bird. He loves to cuddle,and he's likes to just hangout also.He's almost 6 months old and already is being talkative. Won my heart over from the first time we seen him.

That's him after a shower LOL

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
Welcome! I don't know where you live, but where I live we have no less than 3 bird stores. If you have a bird store, why not go there with your wife and see first hand what some of these birds are like. I love both the Gray's and the Hahn's, but my circumstances wouldn't allow me to have either. I looked into the Poi's and fell in love with the Senegal's. I now have a Senegal hen named Rio. She is the center of my world, along with my family of course. :)

Of you don't have a bird store available, maybe a local breeder of several species might be helpful to you. And of course when you make a decision, by all means possible do your research. This is a great place to start, and a great bunch of people with a vast amount of knowledge.

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Your talking about Charlotte my Hawkhead !! Great pet ,sweet ,likes everyone ,talks clear ,not a picky eater ,can hang out and not eat your laptop [zippers are bad though] snuggles with me every night under my chin.
pinkbirdy-albums-belly-picture7586-charlotte-023.jpg

Billy29

Jul 26, 2013
Parrots
Yellow Shouldered Amazon
Quaker parrot
My experience had been with Cockatiels and a sun Conure. I just bought a baby Yellow Shouldered Amazon Parrot, so be will be my first bigger bird. I considered a African Grey and a Rose Breasted cockatoo. There is A little Senegal, at my local bird store who is so sweet. Very tempting to bring him home too.

Karigan

Jul 3, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Kitoko: Female Senegal Parrot, born 2002
Talia: Female CAG, born 2008
Mateo: Female CAG, born 2008
Sennies are so much fun! I just came back from a bike ride with mine and she loved it! Stepped up for strangers, didn't do her business on me... She even clicked and whistled in my ear as we went. They're not always the most snuggly birds, but they have their moments and I find mine doesn't need as much attention as my CAGs and is very content to amuse herself for most of the day inside her cage, whether it's open or not.

OP
S

spidervalve100

Aug 15, 2013
Utah
Thank you for all your advice. I love all of your birds. There is just something about birds that just hit me in the soft spot. I would really love a Senegal, but there are NO breeder/stores/people in my area who have them. I plan on getting the biggest cage possible, and I WILL upgrade (Im the guy who thought a 32 x 32 x 60 cage was too small for my green cheek). I can weld so I might just make one the size of a whole wall. (but where to get the pain/coating?). Im in utah so we have a good selection of breeders and a few good stores. Ill start checking them out this week with my wife. Billy I hope you have a good experience with your yellow shoulder. Pinkybirdy, Charlotte is gorgeous! Ill look into hawk heads! Thanks again everyone, you've been a huge help!

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
Sennies are so much fun! I just came back from a bike ride with mine and she loved it! Stepped up for strangers, didn't do her business on me... She even clicked and whistled in my ear as we went. They're not always the most snuggly birds, but they have their moments and I find mine doesn't need as much attention as my CAGs and is very content to amuse herself for most of the day inside her cage, whether it's open or not.

Wow that is so awesome! I would love to do something like that, but that would require a harness. We're not ready to introduce one again. Not yet. :) Sennies are great. I am looking forward to many many years with mine. Right now she is only 6 months old.

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
Thank you for all your advice. I love all of your birds. There is just something about birds that just hit me in the soft spot. I would really love a Senegal, but there are NO breeder/stores/people in my area who have them. I plan on getting the biggest cage possible, and I WILL upgrade (Im the guy who thought a 32 x 32 x 60 cage was too small for my green cheek). I can weld so I might just make one the size of a whole wall. (but where to get the pain/coating?). Im in utah so we have a good selection of breeders and a few good stores. Ill start checking them out this week with my wife. Billy I hope you have a good experience with your yellow shoulder. Pinkybirdy, Charlotte is gorgeous! Ill look into hawk heads! Thanks again everyone, you've been a huge help!

32x32x60 is definitely big enough for a green cheek. LOL . Right now I don't think that any one really has a baby Sennie, because this is not the breeding season for them. But try again towards the end of the year, unless you decide on something else. What about a rescue? Or an older bird?

Luke252

Aug 6, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
Parrots
Bluey - Opaline Blue Budgie, Larry - Greater Sulphur Crested Cockatoo, Charlie - Samueli Red Tailed Black Cockatoo, Max - Eastern Long Billed Corella
I'd definitely say Cockatoos (for obvious reasons) but of course, I understand they're a little pricey over where you are. Senegal's are definitely great if that what your considering, but great alternative may include things like Amazons, Quakers and Conures. If your looking for larger birds than like Kian2attari said, Amazons and Macaws are great to have. Of course for me its the Cockatoos, just love em :)

OP
S

spidervalve100

Aug 15, 2013
Utah
Well thanks for all your help everyone. I'm sorry I havent posted back in a while, been busy with my new little guy Marshall. He's a military macaw I happened to run across and fall in love with while looking at breeders and pet stores. I do kinda regret not going to Best friends as we've worked with them at my work. Ronies For The Love Of Birds is another great parrot rescue. He is supposedly 7 1/2 weeks old now (most recent photo), and just the sweetest little guy (or girl). Not sure if the breeder was lying on the age, or if he was stunted (he's been growing VERY well since I got him and is healthy) but he looks a few weeks behind in growth. His sibling was even small than this guy at only a day later hatching. But that's for another thread in the proper section. What matter is he is doing great right now.
20130817_000252_zps0a9ffd9d.jpg

20130821_190944_zps45701af9.jpg

20130826_193809_zps6f172b3e.jpg

Most Reactions