Making veggie more appealing.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I find most birds crave fat. I use a small amount of butter on new veggies. some veggies they like partially cooked (warm, soft) some fresh and crunchy. Don't give up if they don't eat it on the first try. Avoid feeding them their favorites too often, they may not try new things because they know their favorite is coming.

GreyG

Jul 26, 2013
Virginia Beach, VA
Parrots
Cleo (Meyer's)
Bailey (Coral Billed Pionus)
Zoey (African Grey)
I consider it a BIG success if I find that a new food I've offered is uneaten on the bottom of the cage....that means that the bird actually picked the food out of the bowl and tossed it! After a while, those tidbits on the bottom of the cage have a nibble outta them, then there is only half down there.....before long, I only find a peel or skin. It does take time, but eventually, you get there. I've offered some foods every morning for literally MONTHS before that first step occurs....

Luke252

Aug 6, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
Parrots
Bluey - Opaline Blue Budgie, Larry - Greater Sulphur Crested Cockatoo, Charlie - Samueli Red Tailed Black Cockatoo, Max - Eastern Long Billed Corella
With some birds it can take time. The methods above are definitely great and should be followed. You can also try taking a bite yourself, then offering it to your bird. This makes the bird feel more comfortable that the food is safe to eat.

Most Reactions