Looking to add an addition to the family

Mirlito

Feb 9, 2013
Costa del Sol, Andalucía, Spain
Parrots
Poppy - Crimson Bellied Conure
Hi all, I am looking into buying a baby lovebird. Are there many of you that have an individual lovebird? My fiance has experience raring them and other species.

Also I have a friend who acquired one and he is so loving and friendly.

We work Monday - Friday 7 - 2 and will have lots of time for our new family member
We are currently building our house it will be very bird friendly with a nice enclosed patio with pool (we will be careful we have purchased a harness)

Thanks a lot

S :green:

mistywaterwoman

Jan 25, 2013
New Orleans, LA
Parrots
2 Peach-faced lovebirds (1 SeaGreen)
Hi again, Sarah!

All the lovebird care sites I have read say that if you get just one lovebird, you can get it to bond with you; if you get two they will bond with each other.
That being said, it's also pretty important to get a hand-fed, tamed baby from the get-go that is used to being handled.
That was my intention initially, but I ended up getting one who was hand-fed and then spent over a month in a pet shop. So now he's skittish, and we are having to start from scratch. I'm pretty confident I can win him over eventually.

Peri watches us all day, and if I move out of his sight line, he chirps until I answer him back, lol. I'm taking that as a really good sign.

If you search on Youtube for "lovebird playing" you will find lots of videos from different people who have just one lovie as a pet, and both human and bird seem completely happy with that arrangement. ;)

OP
Mirlito

Mirlito

Feb 9, 2013
Costa del Sol, Andalucía, Spain
Parrots
Poppy - Crimson Bellied Conure
Hi, my fiance has hand rared lovebirds and quakers in the past. We know breeders but just wondering if there was more people out there with individual babies. My friends have a baby and he is really sociable and bonds with everyone.

They are also so cute. We may even get a baby quaker down the line.

cdnbirdlover

Aug 24, 2012
Canada
Parrots
Peach faced lovebird Basil
Basil came to us when he was one. He had not been hand raised and was not tame when I brought him home. In the 9 months that he's been with us, he has gone from being terrified of us (especially hands) to stepping up, doing tricks, sitting on my shoulder and spending time out of his cage. He is still not comfortable with hands (I can't scratch his neck) but he will sit on my finger and let me rub his little head and neck against my face. We've made incredible progress in a short time. So don't rule out a bird that hasn't been hand raised.

Most Reactions