Lorikeet or Conure ?

rapso

Feb 11, 2015
Montreal, Canada
Hi everyone,
I have never owned a bird before (kept a few budgies and a lovebird for friends on vacation) but I never had a bird for a long period of time.

I would really like to buy my first bird and I'm not sure weather to go with a conure (probably the green cheek or the half moon) or a Lori...

I work from monday to friday and i'm not home those day between 7am to 5:30-6pm...

What do you think would be the best choice? (Price is not a factor)

Thanks so much everyone :) !!!

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
The halfmoon would be the quietest & be the most even tempered of the conures, but the lorikeet would probably be the most difficult to care for.....

Unlike most parrots, lories have a specialized liquid diet...they don't eat seed like most parrots, though they can dine on fresh veggies; but most lori owners usually are cleaning walls & cage surroundings on a daily basis, because their diet is pretty much liquid, so is their poop...they are squirters, often hanging on cage sides to let fly...walls, carpet, linoleum, cage, etc......

Good luck.....

Last edited:

EdgesofTwilight

Sep 2, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Parrots
Cosmo - Hahn's Macaw
Unlike most parrots, lories have a specialized liquid diet...they don't eat seed like most parrots, though they can dine on fresh veggies; but most lori owners usually are cleaning walls & cage surroundings on a daily basis, because their diet is pretty much liquid, so is their poop...they are squirters, often hanging on cage sides to let fly...walls, carpet, linoleum, cage, etc...

I love loris, especially rainbow lories. But that is what deterred me from getting one.

OP
R

rapso

Feb 11, 2015
Montreal, Canada
Oh wow! I never thought that about their poop... Well I can Abdel a certain level of mess but this is just way to much... Guess I'm gonna go with a Conure than! I'm going to try and feed a half moon breeder since I read online they are the most cuddly and friendly / social!..

Thank you so much everyone :)

Most Reactions