Losing hope to own a larger parrot

BrookeB

May 22, 2012
California
Parrots
8 cockatiels
1 sun conure
So.. I was hoping that one of the dozen unwanted macaws or cockatoos would find me during my search for them.. And I know 4 months doesn't seem like long but I'm starting to lose hope... I have seen a few 100 scams, and even came so close as to have the adoption money in my hand but all of these birds seem to pass through my hands like sand... Some people get offered more others didn't want to wait and some of the times I was late to make the offer... I have the money then I put it away then I need it, then it's too late... So I finally thought ok, well I tried buying an older unwanted bird, why not see if I can go through an actual rescue. (Honestly hate rescues for my own personal reasons) so I filled out applications to the 3 closets bird rescues in my area... I went through a phone interview for all three..

First One told me my son was too young to be around a large bird and that I owned to many dogs to safely care for a macaw or cockatoo.

The second told me that they had no volunteers close enough to do a home check and that they couldn't adopt without one.

And the last one told me that they also couldn't preform a home check and that my location was too far from an avian vet, they also told me that even if these where not problems that I would need to take 4- day long classes, sat and Sunday in order to just get a home check... These classes are 4 hours from my home... And they cost a fare amount of money.

It's just becoming difficult to be optimistic about me getting one of these wonderful animals...

Everyday I walk by a very very large brand new empty cage.. I continue to make and buy toys for birds much bigger than my own... My son who is turning 2 soon looked at the cage this morning and says "all gone?" "Why?" "What do momma?" I practically started to cry...

He loves my little birds, he watches them all day... Tells them "petty bird" "upppy" "bids" he knows not to put his hands in or on the cages because we have other animals that are not safe for him at all..

I live in the middle of no where because I honestly don't like people but because of where I live I can't get a rescue to adopt to me. I'm going to keep looking and trying but it's just hard... When I see birds who could benefit from a home like mine but I am not given the opportunity to have one.

I really don't believe in buying a animal when sooo many are in need... I have worked in rescues and actually still rehabilitate abused animals often.. but it may just come down to me buying a bird just because I can't seem to find another way...

Please someone just tell me to wait or something... I need reassurance that I won't have to wait 4 more years... Lie to me if you have too! I have wanted a macaw or cockatoo for over 6 years but I have just been waiting and I'm so tired of waiting...

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
So.. I was hoping that one of the dozen unwanted macaws or cockatoos would find me during my search for them.. And I know 4 months doesn't seem like long but I'm starting to lose hope... I have seen a few 100 scams, and even came so close as to have the adoption money in my hand but all of these birds seem to pass through my hands like sand... Some people get offered more others didn't want to wait and some of the times I was late to make the offer... I have the money then I put it away then I need it, then it's too late... So I finally thought ok, well I tried buying an older unwanted bird, why not see if I can go through an actual rescue. (Honestly hate rescues for my own personal reasons) so I filled out applications to the 3 closets bird rescues in my area... I went through a phone interview for all three..

First One told me my son was too young to be around a large bird and that I owned to many dogs to safely care for a macaw or cockatoo.

The second told me that they had no volunteers close enough to do a home check and that they couldn't adopt without one.

And the last one told me that they also couldn't preform a home check and that my location was too far from an avian vet, they also told me that even if these where not problems that I would need to take 4- day long classes, sat and Sunday in order to just get a home check... These classes are 4 hours from my home... And they cost a fare amount of money.

It's just becoming difficult to be optimistic about me getting one of these wonderful animals...

Everyday I walk by a very very large brand new empty cage.. I continue to make and buy toys for birds much bigger than my own... My son who is turning 2 soon looked at the cage this morning and says "all gone?" "Why?" "What do momma?" I practically started to cry...

He loves my little birds, he watches them all day... Tells them "petty bird" "upppy" "bids" he knows not to put his hands in or on the cages because we have other animals that are not safe for him at all..

I live in the middle of no where because I honestly don't like people but because of where I live I can't get a rescue to adopt to me. I'm going to keep looking and trying but it's just hard... When I see birds who could benefit from a home like mine but I am not given the opportunity to have one.

I really don't believe in buying a animal when sooo many are in need... I have worked in rescues and actually still rehabilitate abused animals often.. but it may just come down to me buying a bird just because I can't seem to find another way...

Please someone just tell me to wait or something... I need reassurance that I won't have to wait 4 more years... Lie to me if you have too! I have wanted a macaw or cockatoo for over 6 years but I have just been waiting and I'm so tired of waiting...

Hi BrookeB, I'm so sorry reading your text I can feel your pain and disappointment and send a hug.

Have you heard the song "Whatever will be, will be, (Que Sera, Sera)" and sometimes it really is no matter how hard you push and push or want and want something it doesn't happen. So big breath, relax.

I am curious that you say you don't like people - you are talking to people here? However tempting it is to closet yourself away it is still good to go out and mix. Is there anyway of getting to know people locally who have birds, is FB any good to research this for example? Try setting a group up?
My point is there are probably people out there with birds and a potential opportunity may arise. It certainly sounds like the rescue route is a hard one. You say you make toys for birds, why not make and sell? Is it possible to do a boot or stall sale anytime? My point, try and get to know like minded people.

I feel you should maybe be open to other birds not just the two breeds you mention IMHO. No one can reassure you how long you will have to wait, honestly.

I hope you will get suggestions to come to help you with the knitty gritty of buying or obtaining a bird in your country. But please, please be careful re scammers OK? Again big hug :)

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Brook I feel your pain! But something doesn't add up for me. Not sure what it is, but you sound awfully desperate for some reason. I don't say that to be mean at all, but the thing I'm sensing is really sticking out and bugging me. If I knew what was bothering me so I might be able to give you some really good advise.

I suppose it's really because you're so upset about not getting a free large macaw after such a short time. Maybe I'm reading something of a sense of entitlement where there's only just upset at not finding what your heart desires, which I get. Or maybe it's a fixation on the large macaws (I shrink back what someone says "I want a large macaw"...makes them sound like a newbie who doesn't actually know what they are asking. This is no judgement on you as I've not read your posts or know you or background. This is merely my own personal pet peeve)

I know you say your against buying, but it sounds like free/adoption is not an option. People who wind up with free macaws being thrown at them are people who established themselves as "the bird person", many may even be part of a parrot club. This is how my grandma went from having no birds to having a large collection including an Amazon, a cockatoo, a severe macaw, IRN, lovebirds and a couple conures. All in the span of 2-3 years.

You can still get one, you're just going to have to buy it.

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
I rescued my Mac and it was not free. Oh and the after cost sure is not free. UPS delivery yesterday of $120.00 worth of Parrot needs . Not free. Trip to Grocery store on way home just for Fresh veggies/ fruit Not free.

I am curious why you are set on a Macaw. I was not even looking for a Bird when I came across BB.

And this is just my opinion but I would not allow a rescue around a 2 year old for a long time. I have had BB for over a year and would not trust him around little fingers.

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw

So you have access to a rescue you use to work at and they will not help Hmm ?

No one here is going to lie to you.

OP
B

BrookeB

May 22, 2012
California
Parrots
8 cockatiels
1 sun conure
Wow first off... Can anyone, at all, tell me where in my post I implied that I was looking for a free bird? Or even a cheap one? Maybe I'm not seeing my words clearly? The rescue I work for helps dogs,cats and farm animals.. Where I live parrots are very uncommon pets. Now if I where looking to save a chicken, goat, horse, dog, or cat I would be without any issue.... I can afford to buy one from a breeder but I wanted to help one not increase the issue of supply and demand...

As for why I have narrowed my search to a macaw or cockatoo is simply because these are the two species I favor, the ones I can see spending my life with.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I honestly don't know where you are looking. There's lots of macaws out there that need homes.

They don't come bonded. Usually there is a great deal of behavior mods involved with those sorts of birds. But they are out there, and they need good homes. Often times those birds won't even let you near them at first...

Be patient. When the one that's meant to be comes along, it will be.

What you've been dealing with are the ones that weren't meant to be...

Yours is out there somewhere. Be patient. You'll find him/her.

DexMom

Jul 18, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Dexter, SI Eclectus
I know 4 months can feel like a lifetime when you're yearning for something. But, when it comes to crossing paths with the perfect lifetime companion bird, it's really not that long. I'm not a religious person, but I do believe that everything happens for a reason. There is some karmic nature to the universe. The reason you haven't found your big bird yet is that the one you are meant to be with is still traveling down the path towards you. Don't try to force things forward or take in just any bird in order to fulfill your desire to have one right now. Open yourself, wait for it to be right, and everything will fall naturally into place. Then, you can name your bird "Destiny."

OP
B

BrookeB

May 22, 2012
California
Parrots
8 cockatiels
1 sun conure
Seriously though I'm kinda bothered by the implication that a rescue means free? I even spoke of the money I have had in my hand, and then have to put back in savings because the bird adoption fell through.. And even a 501c3 rescue has many fees, on top of the donation for the bird... So please can someone tell me where my wording might be interpreted as me seeking a free bird? Also in my whole life not once have I ever ever seen a truly free animal.. Ever.. They all cost money, vet, food, care, training, habitats, and loads of time... My horse... A 16 hand 2 year old TB was a "free horse" 400lbs underweight... Bad teeth bad legs, bad hoofs.. Joint problems... And that's just the medical issues not the mental ones from 2+ years of abuse and neglect. It took me 4 years just to get him heathy enough to saddle.. I spent well over 10000 in vet, food and training over the years... So a animal isn't free ever.

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
Please find hope again. Please keep looking. Your bird will come along...it just isn't time yet. (Like others have said.)

You never said that you were looking for a free bird. Sometimes we just misread things.

When your bird finds you - you will be glad that you waited. I know it is so disappointing but hang in there...and maybe your bird is a young bird. Go to the pet stores and go to the breeders. And sometimes four days seems like a long time.

Rescues are hard but you tried and it didn't work out. Don't give up because of them. Learn what you can and move on.

We will all be excited for you when you finally get your bird.

OP
B

BrookeB

May 22, 2012
California
Parrots
8 cockatiels
1 sun conure
And for those of you that took what I said and gave me encouragement instead of picking at my faults or the way I worded the post, truly thank you.. I guess that's all I was hoping for and it did really make me feel better.

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
Don't be afraid to look farther than California. Some people will ship. I know you have to be careful of the scams but it sounds like the money isn't the issue. Getting the right bird is the issue. It will happen.

Mallory

Jul 31, 2015
Media
Parrots
YNA hen "Greenleaf", Black Capped x Green Cheek Hybrid "Eva", CAG (hatched 1/1/2016), European Starling "Koda"
I know how you feel! As the "husky lady" I constantly help people navigate the scams to find real huskies available from breeders and rescues. I also give a lot of advice, much of it discouraging, about owning snow dogs...but anyway.

If you are this sure you want a macaw I trust that you know what they are like, how challenging and expensive they can be. Sometimes navigating rescues is impossible for people with good homes, I see it here with people trying to adopt dogs all the time. Rescues try so hard to protect their animals that they prefer to find "perfect" situations even if someone in an imperfect situation - like you owning a 2 year old and dogs - has the right heart and brain. We deal with the same thing owning huskies in an apartment even though our dogs get more love and exercise than most we know. Some people can manage these situations but the majority don't work out so the rescues don't feel comfortable with the risk involved.

I may step on a few toes here but please look into breeders. Responsible parrot breeders are working hard to raise healthy, adaptable babies and find good homes for them. I know it's tempting to want to save a parrot in need but supporting a good breeder is also helping captive parrots. Some of us believe that parrots should not be in captivity. I think captive wildlife has a place in educating the public and parrots do make wonderful pets for the right person and situation. If we don't encourage responsible breeding we will never see happier, healthier, and more adaptable parrots and we will certainly never move towards domestication. The breeders that produce a few well socialized birds per year, take time to screen homes and take their birds back at any point are not (in my opinion) responsible for parrot overpopulation in the US. Purchasing one of these birds is supporting someone who cares about parrots and ensuring that bird never needs rescuing.

Again, just my opinion. Sometimes waiting for the perfect adoption just isn't worth it. If you know exactly what you want, a breeder can help you get that bird with a good start and a blank canvas. I hope you get your bird soon, and when you do I hope you're up for the challenge!

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Brook I do owe you an apology. I swear up, down, left, right, and center I saw the word free when I first read your post, which was when I had just woken up. Rereading, I quite clearly misread because nowhere do you say free.

But my concern I was expressing stands, and "free wasn't" really the crux of it. It was the seeming desperation over the short term and fixation on a "big macaw". I'm not focusing on your faults, I'm focusing on your perspective. This isn't something to be impatient and "woe is me" about. you have plenty of time, and you're on a great journey to find the perfect companion for you. Enjoy it, don't lament it.

As everyone has said, your guy is out there. He may not be what you expected, or come exactly how you wanted, but he's out there if you're open to it.

I hope you take my post in the kindhearted and concerned spirit it was given. I'm not out to get you or make you feel bad.

Last edited:

Surfincr

Nov 13, 2013
CT
Parrots
Ziggy (African Grey) and Elvis B&G
So i dont know if you have tried it or not, but with my grey i put up a craigslist want ad up , in the ad i explained my background etc.. and actually the next day someone contacted me. the one thing that is nice is you arent "competing" with other people to meet the bird and such. Some people arent even sure if they want to rehome their bird, i actually wound up counseling a few people. BUT keep in mind there are still folks that will contact you that are scams, so if its too good to be true walk away

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I just did a random search for macaws available in Southern California, and must say I can't pick my jaw off the ground. :11: Plenty of ads, but over 95% were SCAMS! :eek: Never seen anything like it. :(

dhraiden

Jul 14, 2015
Queens NY
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Mochi)
Gold Capped Conure (Mango)
Just think of it this way, the legitimate ones know there are plenty of scams out there, and being concerned, loving people, they want to make sure they're rehoming into a safe setting, same as if you were their shoes. The right fit will come along, with your demonstrated persistence, how can it not?

OP
B

BrookeB

May 22, 2012
California
Parrots
8 cockatiels
1 sun conure
I know how you feel! As the "husky lady" I constantly help people navigate the scams to find real huskies available from breeders and rescues. I also give a lot of advice, much of it discouraging, about owning snow dogs...but anyway.

If you are this sure you want a macaw I trust that you know what they are like, how challenging and expensive they can be. Sometimes navigating rescues is impossible for people with good homes, I see it here with people trying to adopt dogs all the time. Rescues try so hard to protect their animals that they prefer to find "perfect" situations even if someone in an imperfect situation - like you owning a 2 year old and dogs - has the right heart and brain. We deal with the same thing owning huskies in an apartment even though our dogs get more love and exercise than most we know. Some people can manage these situations but the majority don't work out so the rescues don't feel comfortable with the risk involved.

I may step on a few toes here but please look into breeders. Responsible parrot breeders are working hard to raise healthy, adaptable babies and find good homes for them. I know it's tempting to want to save a parrot in need but supporting a good breeder is also helping captive parrots. Some of us believe that parrots should not be in captivity. I think captive wildlife has a place in educating the public and parrots do make wonderful pets for the right person and situation. If we don't encourage responsible breeding we will never see happier, healthier, and more adaptable parrots and we will certainly never move towards domestication. The breeders that produce a few well socialized birds per year, take time to screen homes and take their birds back at any point are not (in my opinion) responsible for parrot overpopulation in the US.
I honestly already thought about this option because like you I work with rescues and have seen how they can be with potential adopters.. Sp thank you for your sound advice.

OP
B

BrookeB

May 22, 2012
California
Parrots
8 cockatiels
1 sun conure
Brook I do owe you an apology. I swear up, down, left, right, and center I saw the word free when I first read your post, which was when I had just woken up. Rereading, I quite clearly misread because nowhere do you say free.

But my concern I was expressing stands, and "free wasn't" really the crux of it. It was the seeming desperation over the short term and fixation on a "big macaw". I'm not focusing on your faults, I'm focusing on your perspective. This isn't something to be impatient and "woe is me" about. you have plenty of time, and you're on a great journey to find the perfect companion for you. Enjoy it, don't lament it.

As everyone has said, your guy is out there. He may not be what you expected, or come exactly how you wanted, but he's out there if you're open to it.

I hope you take my post in the kindhearted and concerned spirit it was given. I'm not out to get you or make you feel bad.

In all truth it dosnt seem kindhearted or concerned to reply in the manner that you did. I don't particularly like feeling judged and my seeming desperate might be because I'm a bit sad. I am aware that it takes time. As for me saying "big" macaw well I'm not looking to buy or adopt a mini macaw, or one of the smaller species of cockatoo. I'm looking for a green-wing or b&g macaw or a Mullican or umbrella cockatoo... Now non of these birds land even remotely on a small species. It's frustrating and discouraging that on this fourm everyone is quick to judge and slow to listen. I'm either not specific enough or too specific. It's hard to ever be I the right here unless you already have the bird.

So i dont know if you have tried it or not, but with my grey i put up a craigslist want ad up , in the ad i explained my background etc.. and actually the next day someone contacted me. the one thing that is nice is you arent "competing" with other people to meet the bird and such. Some people arent even sure if they want to rehome their bird, i actually wound up counseling a few people. BUT keep in mind there are still folks that will contact you that are scams, so if its too good to be true walk away

I honestly hadn't thought of that but it seems like a wonderful idea! Thank you

I just did a random search for macaws available in Southern California, and must say I can't pick my jaw off the ground. :11: Plenty of ads, but over 95% were SCAMS! :eek: Never seen anything like it. :(

Omg you have no idea, I have been scraping through those posts all year...

Sorry for the late reply I had a bridal shower to throw

Rroberds

Mar 4, 2016
Mesa, Arizona
Parrots
Searching for my feathered companion.
Sorry that your having a hard time. Check with your local bird groups and see if anyone knows of anyone that needs to rehome a bird. I see your in California, California has a lot of bird breeders so there should be lots of birds out there. Also check craigslist just be sure to be cautious but there are a lot of people that post ads needing to rehome birds as sad as it is. If the person is serious they should have no problem with taking it to a vet to have it health checked at your expense. I admire that you want to rescue one instead of just going and buy one from a breeder/store. Take your time and find the brid that picks you and try not to focus on the time it takes to get there. The right bird will come along and In the future the time you spent now will be well worth it. Good luck :)

Last edited:

Most Reactions