Lost my green cheeked conure last night

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Accidents happen. You did something that had been safe before, and maybe there was just something different about this time, or maybe it was a coincidence. Getting ready to sell a house usually involves lots of changes like painting, cleaning, things that can affect a delicate bird. And maybe there was another hidden health issue. You can't be SURE it was the oven. You CAN be sure you loved Eebee and gave her the best life you could. It was never in your power to keep her alive forever. It was only in your power to love and care, and you did love and care for her. It's hard to go on with a little green- cheeked hole in the world....see if you can gently let go of beating yourself up. There's nothing you could have done differently...we all make choices based on our information and experience, and your experience told you it was safe. I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend, and I hope you will find comfort in the company of fellow sufferers and in the happy memories of the time you shared.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
I am so sorry for your loss. You obviously loved her a lot.

Please have a look at the stickies in this section of our forum for help with what is OK and not OK for parrots.

General Parrot Information - Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community

The best you can do for her memory and yourself is to make sure that you are informed better for your next feathered baby.

Your thread will hopefully help and remind others who use this forum.

She brought so much joy to my life. I acquired her when I retired 7 years ago and she was with me everyday. She was my first bird and I did a ton of research on having a pet bird before I got her.. I knew all about toxic fumes being harmful. I consulted an avian vet the week I got her to make sure I could keep her safe. I had used the self cleaning oven feature several times over the course of her life with no ill affects. Not sure why it hurt her this time it wasn't even that dirty was just cleaning it because we are trying to sell the house. I never expected to become so attached to a little bird she was my best friend kept me company every day. Should of could of would of..

Remember her, keep a place in your heart for her but don't beat yourself up please? You have been brave and come on here and told many people of the risks that an oven clean can pose. If it only gets one person to stop and think and potentially save a parrot then all good in my book. So thank you. Now be brave, concentrate on selling the house and when the time is right go out and look for another feathered baby. You have experienced something very special in being so attached to a little bird, something a lot of people just do not get, their loss IMO. In time, please be open to bringing another companion into your life! As David has said "There are many many needy parrots that are really in need of a good caring home!" Where better than yours? :)

PS Oh one thing, don't forget to pop on here now and again, love to hear from you.

Last edited:
OP
S

seshat97

Jun 9, 2017
Accidents happen. You did something that had been safe before, and maybe there was just something different about this time, or maybe it was a coincidence. Getting ready to sell a house usually involves lots of changes like painting, cleaning, things that can affect a delicate bird. And maybe there was another hidden health issue. You can't be SURE it was the oven. You CAN be sure you loved Eebee and gave her the best life you could. It was never in your power to keep her alive forever. It was only in your power to love and care, and you did love and care for her. It's hard to go on with a little green- cheeked hole in the world....see if you can gently let go of beating yourself up. There's nothing you could have done differently...we all make choices based on our information and experience, and your experience told you it was safe. I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend, and I hope you will find comfort in the company of fellow sufferers and in the happy memories of the time you shared.

Thank you so much for your kind words. I have received a lot of support on this forum and it is helping me get through this. I'm not sure when I will be ready to adopt another feathered best friend but I assure you I will NEVER make this mistake again. I have learned my lesson (the hard way). Its hard not to beat oneself up but I am trying. Thanks again for your kind words.

OP
S

seshat97

Jun 9, 2017
Our sincerest condolences. You never meant to hurt Gabby, I am so glad you kept feathers. Sending you great big huge hugs.

My baby's name was Eeebee and thank you for your kind words and hugs. I appreciate it!

OP
S

seshat97

Jun 9, 2017
It is so hard when an accident like this happens! Little over a year ago, something was spilled in my oven and I didn't know it, turning the oven on, the house quickly filled up with heavy smoke! I opened the doors, windows and turned on the fans! When the smoke got worse, I tried to move JoJo from his indoor cage to his outdoor cage to get him out of the house! He slipped out of my hands and flew straight out the door! Fortunately I have him visit my neighbors often, and that was where he went! But I still cried like a baby for over an hour!
What you were doing, you had done many times before and felt it was completely safe! Do not blame yourself!
In time, please be open to bringing another companion into your life! There are many many needy parrots that are really in need of a good caring home!

I'm happy to hear you avoided disaster with your JoJo. I always thought I was hyper vigilant with my bird, I would not allow anything near her that I thought even posed a slight risk to her health. I expected her to live a nice long life..

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
My deepest condolences for your loss of Eebee. I hope in time the wonderful memories will become more vivid than profound sadness.

The untimely passing of a beloved companion is devastating and leaves us with an array of guilt and shame. Eebee knew she was dearly loved, please be kind to yourself and allow the grieving process to continue.

Our birds do not come with an owners manual; much of our knowledge is piecemeal and shared through a variety of sources. The necropsy (autopsy) may contain additional helpful clues. Thank you for sharing this most difficult experience, it may save many lives.

We are always here for you!

OP
S

seshat97

Jun 9, 2017
Hello Everybody I am new to this forum. Last night I found my 8 year old green cheeked conure lying face down at the bottom of her cage. She had just been to the avian vet less than a month ago for her annual check up and she had been given a 100% clean bill of health. I rushed her to the avian vet but they were unable to save her even though she was alert and still breathing when I brought her in. I am totally devastated and at a loss of how this happened and why. The only thing that happened out of the usual routine that day was that I put my oven on a self cleaning cycle. Everything was removed from the oven including the racks and the oven liner before I started the cycle. The oven was not that dirty and it did not emit any smoke or fumes during the clean cycle that I could detect. The oven is around the corner from the living room where I kept my bird's cage. I had the ceiling fan on in the living room just in case to circulate air. I have cleaned the oven just like this before on at least two occasions with no issues to my bird. I am heartbroken and guilt ridden that I was unable to keep my bird safe. Please help.

UPDATE: The vet just called and gave me the results of the autopsy. Eeebee was healthy with the exception of her lungs that were red and inflamed. The doctor believes it was the oven cleaning that killed her. Why it hurt her this time and not any of the other times I cleaned my oven remains a mystery. For anybody reading this please learn from my mistake and do not use the self cleaning function of your oven if you have a bird. If it saves a bird's life at least Eeebee did not die just because her owner is an idiot. Thank you.:(

Sherbert.the.Bird

May 12, 2017
California
Parrots
Lutino Bourke's Parakeet
I'm deeply sorry for your loss. We all know you cared deeply for Eebee and they will be very missed. As a new bird owner, I appreciate the honesty and forwardness of your post. It's most definitely a sad situation, but educating the public on the dangers of common things people might not think about will do worlds of good in the future. It's through forums like this, that new bird owners can learn the dangers and know what to look out for when keeping a feathered friend. Hopefully, this knowledge leads to longer lives for all of our fids.

Katu

May 27, 2017
GTA, ON
Parrots
Male blue budgie!
Seshat97, I have learned from this thread. Thank you for sharing your story about Eebee so that new members like myself can learn about these dangers. I shared your story with my husband last night. We don't even have a bird yet, and we're so sorry for your loss. :(

OP
S

seshat97

Jun 9, 2017
I'm deeply sorry for your loss. We all know you cared deeply for Eebee and they will be very missed. As a new bird owner, I appreciate the honesty and forwardness of your post. It's most definitely a sad situation, but educating the public on the dangers of common things people might not think about will do worlds of good in the future. It's through forums like this, that new bird owners can learn the dangers and know what to look out for when keeping a feathered friend. Hopefully, this knowledge leads to longer lives for all of our fids.

Thank you. My Eeebee brought me so much joy to my life. I have had pets my entire life (dogs, cats, fish, squirrels) but this was my very first bird and I have never felt so spiritually connected to an animal before. I tell everybody that parrots are messy, noisy, and temperamental but they are SO WORTH IT. It was a true labor of love taking care of my little girl I just wish I had been better at it.

OP
S

seshat97

Jun 9, 2017
My deepest condolences for your loss of Eebee. I hope in time the wonderful memories will become more vivid than profound sadness.

The untimely passing of a beloved companion is devastating and leaves us with an array of guilt and shame. Eebee knew she was dearly loved, please be kind to yourself and allow the grieving process to continue.

Our birds do not come with an owners manual; much of our knowledge is piecemeal and shared through a variety of sources. The necropsy (autopsy) may contain additional helpful clues. Thank you for sharing this most difficult experience, it may save many lives.

The vet called today and told us that Eeebee's lungs were inflamed and red but the rest of her was perfectly healthy so he said the fumes from the oven probably killed her Why it never affected her before remains a mystery. Thank you everybody for being so compassionate and not critical. Besides nobody could ever be as hard on me as I am being on myself. I thought I knew everything about taking care of a parrot but have been schooled in the hardest way possible.

Thank you

Ladyhawk

Apr 30, 2017
Parrots
Kizzy - (most likely) female blue-fronted Amazon, hatched on May 1, 2017; Gabby - Male double yellowheaded Amazon, hatched, April 1, 1986; died February 22, 2017

The vet called today and told us that Eeebee's lungs were inflamed and red but the rest of her was perfectly healthy so he said the fumes from the oven probably killed her Why it never affected her before remains a mystery. Thank you everybody for being so compassionate and not critical. Besides nobody could ever be as hard on me as I am being on myself. I thought I knew everything about taking care of a parrot but have been schooled in the hardest way possible.

Thank you

I'm so sorry. I can imagine just how awful you're feeling, but I'm hoping you can let go of any guilt so you can heal. Knowing the truth must be hard. Not knowing has been hard on me. I've imagined a thousand ways I let Gabby down. :(

:40: for healing. :41: for better luck in the future.

Take care of yourself during your time of grief.

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope you can forgive yourself enough to let another feathered friend into your heart and family.one day.

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Our hearts hurt with yours. I hope you begin to feel a bit better. Eebee sounds like he/she was wonderful.

MySweetJess

Feb 17, 2017
Gloversville, NY
Likewise, I sprayed air freshener in the front hallway away from my parrot's room, but maybe it got to him? He passed on 2/16 at 19 years old. But it may be a few minor insults from possible toxins I wasn't aware of got to his liver over time. It might be it wasn't his liver at all. You're are a grieving soul, a loving soul and an honest soul for us here on this forum. I think you have a huge personality and character and were chosen to be Eeebee's warrior parent. It is very solid information you have provided us and we thank you. Clearly Eeebee benefit from a powerful love. I'm so sorry. I read a column by an experienced parrot ownder who has lost more than one parrot and made mistakes and she admitted it was difficult to even write the column because it brought that up. We all make them. In the love and fun of having a parrot you get into a mode that maybe doesn't engender carefulness and watchfulness at every single moment because the mood is so wonderful. Well I've paid my 2 cents. Thinking of you.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

Thank you

Allee the moderator is drafting a new "stickie" thread to concisely share the many hazards to our beloved birds. Many are obvious while most are arcane and not evident as they don't affect our traditional mammal companions. That self-cleaning ovens are an issue would never be a reasonable assumption without special knowledge.

OP
S

seshat97

Jun 9, 2017
Seshat97, I have learned from this thread. Thank you for sharing your story about Eebee so that new members like myself can learn about these dangers. I shared your story with my husband last night. We don't even have a bird yet, and we're so sorry for your loss. :(

I'm happy that my tragic mistake will educate other bird parents like yourself. Don't learn the hard way like I did.

OP
S

seshat97

Jun 9, 2017

Thank you

Allee the moderator is drafting a new "stickie" thread to concisely share the many hazards to our beloved birds. Many are obvious while most are arcane and not evident as they don't affect our traditional mammal companions. That self-cleaning ovens are an issue would never be a reasonable assumption without special knowledge.

Please use my unfortunate experience to educate others on the dangers that can be fatal to our beloved feathered friends. I am a scientist by profession and worked for 23 years in one of the world's largest pharmaceutical companies. So Perhaps I was guilty of arrogance when I believed that I knew everything about keeping my Eeebee safe; clearly I did not. My experience shows that nobody is exempt from making a fatal mistake due to ignorance. 20130331_120331.jpg

Most Reactions

Latest posts