Lost my green cheeked conure last night

Ladyhawk

Apr 30, 2017
Parrots
Kizzy - (most likely) female blue-fronted Amazon, hatched on May 1, 2017; Gabby - Male double yellowheaded Amazon, hatched, April 1, 1986; died February 22, 2017
Likewise, I sprayed air freshener in the front hallway away from my parrot's room, but maybe it got to him? He passed on 2/16 at 19 years old. But it may be a few minor insults from possible toxins I wasn't aware of got to his liver over time. It might be it wasn't his liver at all. You're are a grieving soul, a loving soul and an honest soul for us here on this forum. I think you have a huge personality and character and were chosen to be Eeebee's warrior parent. It is very solid information you have provided us and we thank you. Clearly Eeebee benefit from a powerful love. I'm so sorry. I read a column by an experienced parrot ownder who has lost more than one parrot and made mistakes and she admitted it was difficult to even write the column because it brought that up. We all make them. In the love and fun of having a parrot you get into a mode that maybe doesn't engender carefulness and watchfulness at every single moment because the mood is so wonderful. Well I've paid my 2 cents. Thinking of you.

Not knowing what caused organ failure can make you crazy. I've come up with tons of scenarios, but I don't know what caused Gabby's kidneys to fail. I will never know. Sounds like you're in the same boat. In a way it's easier because I don't know for sure whether I made a mistake. In a way it's harder because I can't learn from a mistake if I made one. Also, it came out of left field. I was totally unprepared...not that any of us is prepared.

My mother was saying today that memories of Gabby are starting to fade for her. :( I don't want to forget him. Not ever. I wish I had taken more movies toward the end of his life, but I always thought I could get to it later. I did learn from one mistake: Never take a loved one for granted.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
This thread has been so helpful to me. I forget the name of the syndrome...there is a tendency for people to become complacent about dangers when a long time has passed without incident. Out west we always went to town putting together kits after earthquakes and then forgot to restock them. All the times I've done something around the birds that was safe and figured I had it under control...that's just lazy on my part. I hope I will remember these lessons and stay vigilant. Thank you all for sharing..

OP
S

seshat97

Jun 9, 2017
Likewise, I sprayed air freshener in the front hallway away from my parrot's room, but maybe it got to him? He passed on 2/16 at 19 years old. But it may be a few minor insults from possible toxins I wasn't aware of got to his liver over time. It might be it wasn't his liver at all. You're are a grieving soul, a loving soul and an honest soul for us here on this forum. I think you have a huge personality and character and were chosen to be Eeebee's warrior parent. It is very solid information you have provided us and we thank you. Clearly Eeebee benefit from a powerful love. I'm so sorry. I read a column by an experienced parrot ownder who has lost more than one parrot and made mistakes and she admitted it was difficult to even write the column because it brought that up. We all make them. In the love and fun of having a parrot you get into a mode that maybe doesn't engender carefulness and watchfulness at every single moment because the mood is so wonderful. Well I've paid my 2 cents. Thinking of you.

Not knowing what caused organ failure can make you crazy. I've come up with tons of scenarios, but I don't know what caused Gabby's kidneys to fail. I will never know. Sounds like you're in the same boat. In a way it's easier because I don't know for sure whether I made a mistake. In a way it's harder because I can't learn from a mistake if I made one. Also, it came out of left field. I was totally unprepared...not that any of us is prepared.

My mother was saying today that memories of Gabby are starting to fade for her. :( I don't want to forget him. Not ever. I wish I had taken more movies toward the end of his life, but I always thought I could get to it later. I did learn from one mistake: Never take a loved one for granted.

Thank you LadeyHawke. I am feeling better with each passing day and trying hard to forgive myself. For future reference, do you know what cleaners, if any are safe for birds? Are cleaners that contain oil like Orange Glo furniture polish, safe to use around parrots? I now realize I have more learning to do before I adopt another feathered best friend and I want to be better informed. If somebody offered a class about taking care of parrots I would take it

OP
S

seshat97

Jun 9, 2017
This thread has been so helpful to me. I forget the name of the syndrome...there is a tendency for people to become complacent about dangers when a long time has passed without incident. Out west we always went to town putting together kits after earthquakes and then forgot to restock them. All the times I've done something around the birds that was safe and figured I had it under control...that's just lazy on my part. I hope I will remember these lessons and stay vigilant. Thank you all for sharing..

Kentucky this is exactly what happened with me. At the beginning with EEEbee I was hyper viligent about her care and potential hazards. I had her for 7 years without a single health issue with an annual check up with an avian vet. I thought I knew everything there is to know about taking care of a parrot. So I became complacent and probably a bit arrogant too. I know better now.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
I've made so many mistakes over the decades. Neither the Rickeybird nor I have any idea how many "bullets" we've "dodged". I could tell you such tales...

Over time, I have gotten educated, and I consider myself to be a pretty savvy parront.
That said, a few weeks ago, I walked (Rb on shoulder) into a room with the ceiling fan on full speed. I grabbed him and retreated, and all was well.

Please forgive yourself. There's another little darling out there who needs you.

Most Reactions

Latest posts