Lovebird Aggression?

Sabatea

Dec 27, 2014
Georgia
Parrots
Ivory- Creamino Lovebird
I just joined here because I (finally) decided I might want to do something about my lovebird, Ivory's, aggression... I have had her for a little over two years now and she is a wonderful pet. However, she has a major aggression problem towards anyone but me. She will bite me occasionally but I will admit it is because I have been ignoring the signs of her getting angry and then she lashed out.

For a while I thought she was just a moody bird... I still wonder if she is. She hates for anyone but me to be in the room and she hates it when I talk in the room (Though it might be because she wants out. XD). She doesn't like for me to be distracted from her at all and will bite me to get my attention or try to steal or destroy whatever is keeping my attention from her. This usually results in a crapped-on or bitten book.

Her aggression towards other people is definitely not biased. She hates men and women the same. A few people have gotten her to like them, one by forcing himself on her until she gave up, and the other being as gentle as could be until Ivory decided she liked her and wanted to play. And then there's my two friends, who she randomly lashed out at and drew blood on one even though she hadn't touched her. Maybe it was because she hadn't touched her?

So, my questions are; Is this normal? Is there something I should do to fix this?

As a random note as well, I would try using treats to reward good behavior but she absolutely hates it when I hold anything out towards her. Whether it's her own food or some treat, she screeches and puffs up and bobs her head until I get rid of it. I've also tried holding it flat on my palm but she ignores it and just gets on my hand or throws it. What can I do about this?

EAI

Jul 25, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Parrots
Budgerigar: Arrow, Esther, Kratos, Cora, Ducky.

Lovebird: Izzy, Gizmo.
Sounds like some good old fashioned one-person bird syndrome!
I wouldn't say it's normal, but it does happen in birds when they get too over protective of one member of their "flock".

Some "early diagnosis and prevention" would have been socialization. Her being socialized could still be a possibility as long as you have some volunteers able to handle an angry female lovebird bite.

If you look up "how to deal with one person bird" or things similar you should be able to find a plethora of links relating to this type of behavioral issue. (I can't post a few links because they don't comply to this website's rules).

Most Reactions