Lovebird and Parrotlet relationship

Melo7777

Jul 7, 2014
USA
Parrots
-peach faced lovebird
-pacific parrotlet
I let my lovebird and my parrotlet out of their cages. My parrotlet is a week new and my lovebird hasn't really been around other birds until now. The parrotlet was minding his own business and then the lovebird came to investigate. The lovebird was I want to say nibbling on the parrotlet's feathers as if it was grooming it. Afterwards the lovebird opened it beak horizontally and the parrotlet opened its beak vertically. I couldn't tell if they were sort of kissing each other or if the lovebird was about to bite off the parrotlet's beak off. I am only thinking this because I've read stories about lovebirds biting other birds' beaks off. It looked like the picture below. Please let me know what you think.

Attachments

• Macaw.jpg
    Macaw.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 269
OP
M

Melo7777

Jul 7, 2014
USA
Parrots
-peach faced lovebird
-pacific parrotlet
When I say my parrotlet is a week new I mean that I've had it for a week

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
Both species are known for their aggressiveness. Parrotlets tend to be the bullies, and are known to take on larger birds. My parrotlet, Kiwi has taken on my Senegal before. A few weeks ago my Senegal almost did some permanent damage. It was my fault, I had Kiwi with me and I approached my Senegal's outside cage. When I realized I was too close it was too late. My parrotlet jumped on to Rio's cage, and tried to attack Rio through the bars. Rio nailed her in the beak. It was a bad bite too. Kiwi is all healed and back to herself, would she do it again, no doubt in my mind. If your birds are not showing any real signs of aggresiveness (you will know) then that's great. I was hoping Rio and Kiwi would become friends, but for know I have to protect kiwi for her own good.

Most Reactions

Latest posts