Lovebird

Lovie

Feb 8, 2014
America~
Parrots
Birdie, my Lutino lovebird.
Hello,
I'm sorry for the late reply, but in case you were still wondering...
1. It might take more than just putting a dish out to get Peaches to eat fresh fruit. Try freezing them, warming them (a little), mashing them, blending them, eating them with her, and so on. My bird still won't eat fresh fruits or veggies, so it could definitely take a while.
2. About molting, if the fuzzy little feathers are white, it's probably what they call "fluff" feathers. These usually come off, and unless there are a TON of them, it most likely isn't molting. If the feathers match the top layers of Peaches' feather color, she's probably molting. Sometimes, when they molt, they get itchy, so make sure you offer her a bath or some aloe vera sap. They don't need molting seeds, but they usually eat a little more at this time, since their metabolisms are up.
3. Gravel pretty much isn't necessary.
4. Some birds just have smaller frames. If she seems to have an appetite, you shouldn't worry too much.
5. You can also try to slowly incorporate the pellets. Make recipes, or just mix them up with the seeds. You can also try to feed the pellets to her by hand.
6. Don't give her too much millet. It is a treat for birds and is basically like bird candy. Some people only give it to their birds twice a week or so. Seeds, pellets, and fresh foods are much better for your bird.
7. I'm glad that she's finally getting a little more tame. Congratulations. :)

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Please remove the sandpaper covers! These can cause more harm than good and no bird owner should use these! Birds can get foot sores if they are on the sandy perches for too long, and these can get worse if the bird is on a poor diet.

As far as getting her to try new foods, please, check out this thread!
http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-...7-converting-parrots-healthier-diet-tips.html

Peaches may benefit from more toys to chew up and destroy, although hopefully nothing she can make a nest out of! Thin wooden toys might be up her ally!

And as far as training goes.... here's an article to try and put your training regime into perspective. That is, is the relationship with your bird 'trust building' or 'trust destroying'?
Does your Parrot have a Trust account?

OP
Irishgal60

Irishgal60

Mar 19, 2014
Ocala, Florida USA
Parrots
"Peaches"
Rosy Face Love Bird
Here's "Peaches" :rainbow1: photo of her Vet visit on April 12th, 2014.
The vet finally sent it to me....
She looks scared, but she was such a good girl...:)
I was pretty proud of her!!!

Attachments

• Petimage Peaches.jpg
    Petimage Peaches.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 70

bridget503

Oct 7, 2011
Media
LaGrange, Il
Parrots
Baby Blue Budgie, Indy, Tic Tac, Freeway, Misty, Nipper, Kiwi, Evan, Sidney, 4 new ones not yet named, RIP Elbee, the lovebird
My lovie's beak needs to be trimmed every 3 months because it grows freakishly long. We've tried everything, he just doesn't like to chew on things the way my keets do. It gets hard for him to eat after a while. Just make sure it's not so long to interfere with his eating.

jugoya

Mar 7, 2013
Shreveport, La USA
Parrots
Porter (Broto); Fuggles(Budgie)
I'd remove the mirrors.

Sometimes birds will bond with the mirror and it prompts broodie behavior.

Replace it with something somewhat shiny instead that doesn't really cast a reflection.

OP
Irishgal60

Irishgal60

Mar 19, 2014
Ocala, Florida USA
Parrots
"Peaches"
Rosy Face Love Bird
This is cool!!!!
I want to build one now....
Thought I'd share...

[ame=http://youtu.be/_JyZ7myKU9I]Peach Face Lovebirds Demonstrate their new tunnel - YouTube[/ame]

OP
Irishgal60

Irishgal60

Mar 19, 2014
Ocala, Florida USA
Parrots
"Peaches"
Rosy Face Love Bird
"Peaches" :rainbow1: got a new perch....
She's still getting used to it....
But I think she likes it.
I moved her cage over to this window, and I place a board
from her cage to the perch.
She climbs the board, but won't go to the perch yet....
She flies back to the very top of her cage....then sings and dances...
Like she's mocking me...na na na na na...
She's a clown...

Attachments

• CIMG5603.jpg
    CIMG5603.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

Most Reactions