Mac & the Vet

azdesertrhino

Oct 29, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
A few weeks ago Mac, our 9 month old B&G Macaw fell off his play perch and chipped his beak. I came here asking questions and got excellent advice.

We had to take him to the vet on a Saturday and while there asked that his nails and wings be trimmed.

Mac's beak healed up great but his nails were like hypodermic needles and the wing trimming was a little rough.:mad:

Long story short, I believe, due to the way his wings were trimmed, 2 feathers were left too long in the middle of the wing. He broke one of these feathers and was bleeding from the shaft.

We went back to the same facility but made absolutely sure we got an Avian Vet. He had to remove the shaft and trimmed the other feather that was left too long because it was "susceptible to injury".

We also got his nails cleaned up.

I learned the importance of making sure an Avian vet in taking care of Mac. This is Mac, the picture is a little older but was easiest to get loaded.

SirStinky.jpg

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Makes a big difference when you happy with a trustworthy avian vet.
Glad that Mac's wings and nails were dealt with correctly and the beak self mended.
Mac is a handsome little boy
Thanks for sharing

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I learned somthing valuable today at a Phoenix Landing class. Some vets are advising bird people to give their birds Tums for calcuim. This is no longer appropriate because of the toxic aluminum-hydroxide in the tums. Also that we should not be feeding our birds egg shells because it is in the shell that e choli is sometimes found.

Last edited:

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I learned somthing valuable today at a Phoenix Landing class. Some vets are advising bird people to give their birds Tums for calcuim. This is no longer appropriate because of the toxic aluminum-hydroxide in the tums. Also that we should not be feeding our birds egg shells because it is in the shell that e choli is sometimes found.

OMG and I feed Mishka eggs and the shells today. What are we supposed to replace the egg shells with?

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
The E choli in eggs has been an issue here in the USA. I do not kow about Africia. Instead we feed calcium rich foods such as unhulled sesame seeds. Also learned it is not recommended to give the birds cuttlebone, oyster shells or mineral blocks as they are inefficient, unnatural and their sources are often polluted.

Most Reactions

Latest posts