Macaw breeder horror story

Arara

Jul 13, 2013
guadalajara
Parrots
A Shamrock macaw and a lilac crowned amazon
I hope this never happens to anyone here .
My dream bird has always been a macaw. And in my country it was quite hard to find a breeder .... Since I was studying far away from my hometown

So I found one in a webpage called" Mercado libre" that is like the eBay of our Country. I didn't want to buy a wildcaught so I thought that I was doing the right thing when I put the first deposit for my baby. Putting all my trust in that Idiot.

He told me that I needed to get the bird before it weaned because he thought I would have a better bond with it. Since it was the only guy out there who I knew that sold legal macaws I couldn't complain.

He sent me many pictures of my baby .... I was going trough a rough time and the bird gave me the hope I needed . My baby is a Shamrock macaw and has a lot of yellow in its head since I chose him before he developed it . One day he sent me pictures of another baby that wasn't mine and I grew suspicious of him ....

I fought with him for the baby I saw growing up and I thought I won when I put in his bank account the last deposit .And the baby was going to be sent the next week.

Summer break started and I was so happy to see my family and my baby but it wasn't going to be that easy

It took 3 weeks for the baby to arrive and even I don't know how it passed all the airport regulations because the box were it was sent was too small...

image.jpg

And the next day I took him to a breeder I found in my area because there are no avian vets in my hometown. The breeder told me that that guy who sent me the macaw wanted me to take care of the unweaned baby because it was less expensive and it was sent to die because it was also showing symptoms of malnutrition and was too weak.

I was heartbroken but thanks to him my baby is grownig stronger each day. And I feel bad because I could have bought him a bird but I didn't know he was there when I put the first deposit.

So now I am waiting my baby to grow stronger and wean to take him home
And hopefully that evil breeder will pay for what he did.

English is not my native language so forgive me if I have any grammar error.

:red1:

OP
A

Arara

Jul 13, 2013
guadalajara
Parrots
The image is flipped o_O I don't know why

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
That breeder only wants money and he's probably got a lot of babies around. One less baby he have to care for. Always find out the reputation of a breeder to order from or view in person!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I am so very sorry this happened to you. :(

Your baby looks SO pretty, SO precious, and you did the right thing by handing him over to a breeder who can hopefully pep him right up for you. :)

Please don't worry about your English, it's just fine. :)

Best of luck with your Shamrock baby. Please keep us updated on how he's doing. Also, what is his name???

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
That is really terrible that you were taken advantage of like that. Sometimes it's not always easy to know how to find a good breeder for the baby you want. Unfortunately, you got stuck with a bad one. But I am so glad you found a good breeder willing to help rehabilitate your baby. Good luck and keep us posted. I can't wait to see more pics of your beautiful Shamrock Macaw. I have my fingers crossed he recovers completely from this ordeal and so do you, for that matter. ;)

OP
A

Arara

Jul 13, 2013
guadalajara
Parrots
Hi! everyone thanks for all your support.
My baby's name is Cesar
Here he is hugging his mommy image.jpg

My actual breeder told me that he is getting stronger each day and hopefully by sunday I will be able to visit him.

I didnt have make up in that picture and my hair was messy( I am quite shy xD)

Even though he was really nervous when we opened the box he was sent in. He was all cuddles . I know the reputation Scarlets and Military macaws have. And he was just so sweet . I want to hugh him so much ;_; He even said his first word that day.... and it was No!( I dont know why)

Karigan

Jul 3, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Kitoko: Female Senegal Parrot, born 2002
Talia: Female CAG, born 2008
Mateo: Female CAG, born 2008
He seems like a sweetie. Our prayers are with you, we look forward to his welcome home post :)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
That picture where Cesar is hugging you is worth a thousand words! BEAUTIFUL!! And so heart warming. :)

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
It's good you can find breeders in Mexico now. Nice they are taking the loads off of wild caught birds. Looking forward to many more pictures and stories.

OP
A

Arara

Jul 13, 2013
guadalajara
Parrots
Yes I am also happy that there are more breeders !
The only bad thing is that the laws protecting the parrots of my country are terrible because you can' t breed any national species. Unless you have hybrids or ilegal pets. And that only results in aggraviating the illegal pet trade :( .
And most breeders aren't as updated as you guys are.
So it is hard to find good ones. But there are also kind hearted ones that treat the parrots with love like my current breeder whose name is Said.
Also I would be a bad person if I didn't mention Aldo another breeder that lives close to the evil breeder(his name is Jaime) that only wanted my money. Aldo helped me to put pressure on Jaime to give me my bird since I had paid in advance and almost a month passed and there was no bird.

And he recommended me how to take care of him and helped me a lot without being his client or anything

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
Your Shamrock Macaw is very pretty. Thank you for posting your story. I am glad that you found a breeder to help you keep your baby from starving. You will have to keep us updated. In America our neighboring parrots from conures, Amazons, and Macaws are found in the pet trade. However, I would like to know more about breeders in Mexico and even wonder if there are breeders in South American countries.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
BEAUTIFUL baby, that yellow on his head is incredible.

Thank you for sharing your story, I'm so happy you have a local breeder who is so kind.

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
He probably bit the bad bad breeder many times :D and he taught him to say no. Hahaha it's possible. I don't believe in karma per se', but you mess with creation, eventually your gonna bit.

OP
A

Arara

Jul 13, 2013
guadalajara
Parrots
I hope he bit him hahaha but I don't think that he even knows how to bit people ... He is too sweet for his own good .
I think that he says No because my old evil breeder told me that he always wanted to be with his brother and he sent me a video where he is playing with his brother :3 .
He wil be comming home soon :D
:green1::red1:

Most Reactions