Macaw sites

negb

Mar 15, 2011
Any good macaw sites? Information, diet, behavior, anything really.

Thanks!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Same goes for macaws as I mentioned on your Cockatoo post. Macaw's beak can do some major damage if your not careful! Try to be around all different types of birds so you have exposure not just from internet posting or reading from a book. An actual in person visit is different!

patterson

Nov 3, 2010
belfast, northern ireland
Parrots
vincent-b/g macaw archie-alexandrine and coming in june greenwing macaw and millitary macaw this year too fingers crossed
Yea macaws are big chewers I buy bout 30 pounds worth toys every other week they don't last long

OP
N

negb

Mar 15, 2011
What macaw would you say is best? I was thinking blue and gold or green wing. Scarlets are beautiful but I've heard they're a bit aggressive.

I know blue and gold is a pretty good bird and is smaller, but I'm talking about temperament.

patterson

Nov 3, 2010
belfast, northern ireland
Parrots
vincent-b/g macaw archie-alexandrine and coming in june greenwing macaw and millitary macaw this year too fingers crossed
well our blue gold is bout 10 months, hes like big baby. greenwings are alot larger but suppose be gentle gaints we have greenwing comming in june getting raised atm

OP
N

negb

Mar 15, 2011
Ok, let me know how the green wings are!

Lesleybird

Banned
Banned
Mar 10, 2011
Houston
Parrots
Three amazons, Moluccan cockatoo, Umbrella cockatoo, Harlequin macaw.
Hi, We just got a new baby Harlequin a month ago and she is a cross between a Greenwing and a Blue and Gold. She has a green head, blue wings that are gold on the underside and her chest is bright orange. She has the little black feathers on her white face like a B&G and a row of little black feathers around the bottom of her beak. I never thought of a B&G because I thought that they look too common. I was going to get a Greenwing but the ones that I saw were about 35% larger than the Harlequin and they were just too big for my tastes. My husband was the one that did the research on the Harlequin. Lesley :red1:

OP
N

negb

Mar 15, 2011
Could you post a picture please? How is she so far?

Lesleybird

Banned
Banned
Mar 10, 2011
Houston
Parrots
Three amazons, Moluccan cockatoo, Umbrella cockatoo, Harlequin macaw.
Could you post a picture please? How is she so far?
Hi, I am don't really know how to post a picture at this time. If you google Harlequin macaw and click on images you can get some images of one. Mine had a blue and gold father so she is a lot smaller than a green wing but bigger than most blue and golds. She is very sweet. At first she was nippy until I got her out of her cage but she has never caused any damage from a bite and has never broken the skin. I learned that almost all macaws bite at the bars like a wild dog when you stick your hand near their cage....mine still does this after having her for two months (she is 10 months old now). I found out that when I stick my wrist in front of her and ask her to step up she will put her beak on the wrist and grab it before stepping up. This does not hurt. If one pulls their arm away when a macaw that is known to be hand fed and tame does this then the bird will not trust your arm enough to step up on it because they thing you will pull it away when they go to step up.

My Harlequin Marley is now trust worthy enough that I can stick my hands or fingers in her beak and she just nibbles on them. She has learned how hard she can bear down on them and has not drawn blood on me or my husband since bringing her home. Still don't let her on the shoulder because can grab at the face.

Today I flipped her over on her back while I was slumped down in a chair. Laid her back on my chest and she was holding on to my hand with her feet while I rubbed her chest. She let me do this for a few minutes.
Hope you find a great macaw. Go handle a lot of babies at your local bird shops before you pick one out. Also, If you go to youtube and put in the word macaw or the specific type of bird you can see lots of video of people interacting with their birds. Lesley

Last edited:

Mike

Mar 15, 2011
Media
Albums
Atlanta, GA USA
Parrots
A Greenwing, a Sun Conure, and a Hahn's Macaw
Here's a site which specializes in hybrids. You can see what the parents of each hybird are and you can see pictures.

Hybrid Macaw Parrots, Names and Definitions With Photos of Hybrid Macaws

Important to remember that hybrids (eg. Ruby, Harlequin, etc) are not base species (eg. Scarlet, Greenwing, etc). This means that no two will have the same characteristics. Two Ruby Macaws, for example, may have different markings. Base species, on the other hand, will always have the same characteristic markings--always.

I've attach a pdf file I made from this hybrid website which shows the parents/hybrid intersections. Notice that some hybrids are combinations of other hybrids. I had to zip the pdf file because this forum has file size limitations which the pdf exceeded.

Attachments

• Macaw hybrid table 110403.zip
    26.1 KB · Views: 76

Mondos Parents

Jan 21, 2011
Media
Louisville, KY
Parrots
YC x YN Amazon "Mondo" ,Green Wing Macaw "Bob" & Catablue Macaw "Jake"
What macaw would you say is best?

Mine!! Bob is a 8 year old Green Wing Macaw. His last Parront said he had never bit him, he has never bit me. He is very Personable, Lovable, and large! About 34" Head to Tail.
Had great fear of him when he came home with us, but now, he is just a big Baby! Wouldn't trade him for anything! You can see the Love in his eyes when I rub his face! :) One note, there beaks are large, but they are slower to move than Amazons! LOL

Attachments

• Friday 016.jpg
    Friday 016.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 142
OP
N

negb

Mar 15, 2011
Mike, Thanks for the sites.

I saw the Harlequins but personally think the Green Wings are more striking. I've heard many good thing about them as well.

Mondos Parents, Bob is very handsome. :)

Most Reactions