My vet hugged me!

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
No Kidding! When I went to pick up Jingle last night my vet walked into the room and hugged me and told me I did a good job when I got this one. He said everything looked good (test results aren't in yet though). He said that once they finished the exam Jingle played with all of them and walked on their arms and up their shoulders. Evidently they liked him. :p

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Sounds like Jingle made a big impression on the vet! What a good boy! So glad you decided to get him and give him a good home:)

OP
Dopey

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
Thanks! Today he wanted a cracker and guess what...I went and got him a cracker. Then he did the usual Macaw thing and made a mess crunching it. :D

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
You deserved a hug from your vet! I'm glad Jingle enjoyed the visit to the clinic.

OP
Dopey

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
I called the store where I got him from (we are friends now) and gave them an update. I think people need to know when things turn out well.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Sounds like you got a good one!

Speaking from experience, angry severe's can be hard to deal with, but the really good ones love everyone, and want to play...

ALL macaws have the propensity to be mush macs (or biters!) and the difference is largely human!

OP
Dopey

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
I have felt his beak twice now and I'm not ready to feel it again ... this week at least. I approach him in his cage carefully. He doesn't come out very far right now. But he will let me pet his beak and get a quick scritch in on the forehead with his door open.

He is a smart bird. This morning I had to take some measurements inside the cage and in order to get them correct it was easier to open his water bowl door and measure from there. I forgot to close the door. I continued to talk with him and pretty soon he crawled out of his cage and walked over to the water bowl. He let me know I had left it open. Smart bird.

Mark - I really appreciate all the information that you share with us on the forum.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I have felt his beak twice now and I'm not ready to feel it again ...

I felt a severe macaw beak all the way down to exposed bone!!! Took three stitches to close the wound. (I got distracted and took my eyes off an angry biter.) And GOD are they ever fast!!!

He still had that point on his beak. I call it a scalpel...

OP
Dopey

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
I hope I always remember to keep my eye on them. They bite when you aren't paying attention and you have your fingers near them. :D

I don't want stitches so I will try to pay attention!

Most Reactions