Macaw with aspergillosis

dielectricunion

Jan 11, 2015
Our Macaw was sneezing a lot last week and sounded congested so we took her in to see a vet as soon as they opened.

They did an x Ray, blood test, and a sample of mucous. The vet said it looked like a fungal infection in the upper respiratory system, most likely aspergillus.

We got a prescription for an anti fungal medication and have been using warm water in a sprayer to try to clean her nares.

She was seeming a lot better this past week but this morning, she was sneezing and sounds more congested again.

No vets are in since it's Sunday so I can't call to ask for advice today.

Anyone have tips for helping relieve this congestion?

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
I just finished a round of anti fungals with my OWA who has aspergilliosis in her air sacs.

Try a shower and getting her face/head wet. Running a humidifier for a few hours helps a lot.

Keep the temperature in the room she spends her time in WARM, I mean like 72 to 74 degrees, especially when she is wet from a shower or misting.

Zilla would have occasional breathing issues while on the medication, and these things really helped her until we could get back in to see the vet as needed.

I would definitely call your vet as soon as you can, even get her back in if she seems to continue having problems.

Good luck!

Ltygress

Jan 6, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Parrots
Blue and Gold Macaw named Stewie, Blue and Gold Macaw named Bazinga, Male Eclectus named Nicholas, Unknown Severe Macaw named Zander
While I agree with this for congestion relief, be careful with humidity with Aspergillosis. Think about fungus and where it likes to grow - warm, moist environments. Making her comfortable is important, but you really have to balance that with an environment that doesn't promote fungal growth. Unfortunately, that means dry air.

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Do not let your bird get chilled [ as said] . I have had sick birds and 2 ended up getting chilled which progressed things. Its SO IMORTANT to keep them warm . I do know that sometimes vets do not use strong enough medication to clear things up . That's where you need to be super vigilant on whats going on with him. Be able to get him right back into the vet [don't let them tell you ] you have to wait days .Ive lost birds because of this . You don't have a ton of time when birds are showing signs of illness.

OP
D

dielectricunion

Jan 11, 2015
I have been running a small humidifier in that room and did worry about creating a moist environment, but my humidistat says it's only 25%. It might not be accurate so I'm going to lay off the humidifier.

The thermostat has been at 62 this winter but I have a small Quartz heater in with the birds.

I really hope the medication is working and the condition isn't progressing. We're going to check up with the vet tomorrow.

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
All I can do is explain it like my vet explained it to me...I would definitely call your vet and ask them, but here is what I got from my vet...

What does mold do when it dries out? turns to dust. where is that dust gonna go? deeper into your birds air sacs...Zilla had it into her secondary air sacs. What is that dust? it's the mold spores looking for a nice place to "hatch"

If you are giving your bird the anti fungal medications you are killing the mold and making it harder for the spores to hatch, but you have to keep your bird comfortable, happy, and healthy in all the other ways you can. Diet plays a HUGE roll in the recovery also.

Also, if you think about it...where do our tropical parrots come from? Moist, humid rainforest environments. They need a more humid environment than we do, especially with the cold dry air of winter. You want him to breathe easier, you want his skin to be moist, not dry and itchy, you want him to be warm, no drafts etc...

Keep in mind this is just my OPINION and what my vet had me do for my Amazon. You and your vet have to decide what is right for you and your bird.

Most Reactions

Latest posts