Male and female Budgies

ginagirl916

Aug 6, 2013
CT
Parrots
Female Parakeet- Skye
Male Parakeet- Tommy Pete
Hi, I am very new here.

I have a female parakeet and just took in a male last night. A friend of mine found him in her backyard and kept him for about 6 months but really didn't want him so I took him in.

Can I eventually put them in the same cage without them breeding? I am not interested in doing so.

Also, will this make them less interactive with us and more into each other?

what are the pros and cons of putting them together?

Thanks for all your feedback11

Pajarita

Banned
Banned
Jul 11, 2013
If they like each other, they will benefit greatly from living together because parrots are highly social and need constant company to be happy. Whether this affects your relationship with the bird you already have depends on you, the individual birds and the relationship. I've had and still have birds that have mates of their own and their relationship with me never changed. As a matter of fact, I actively look for companion for all my birds because I think it's best for them both from a physical as well as an emotional point of view.

sherlockwatson

Aug 7, 2013
Orlando
Parrots
2 Budgies, Sherlock and Watson
No, they won't bred unless you put a nesting box in there.

Yes and no. It will be harder to tame both (if you haven't done so). When I got my first budgie, Sherlock, I wasn't sure whether or not to get another. Alas, Sherlock was missing his Watson ;). So, I hand tamed Sherlock. I went through the whole process of introducing Sherlock and Watson. After everything was done and said, Sherlock still stepped up. Though he didn't want to go to far from Watson. Watson on the other hand, was being stubborn. She actually calmed down when I had Sherlock in my hand and eventually stepped up. Sherlock let her know that the big monster wasn't going to eat her :09:

There is always the possibility of them not wanting to spend time with you anymore, but you just have to spend more time with them and be patient.

Do you know how to properly introduce them?

OP
G

ginagirl916

Aug 6, 2013
CT
Parrots
Female Parakeet- Skye
Male Parakeet- Tommy Pete
Thanks for the feedback. I am still unsure if I want to put them together. Right now I have the cages very close to each other so they can see and hear each other. The rescue seems to be doing ok. he does like to come out and hang on the playscape I have for them. and hang with me for a few. I think he is getting used to us nicely.

Any other suggestions would be great, I have never had 2 at the same time.

Most Reactions

Latest posts