Male or female? Parrotlets

Doliver20044

Oct 2, 2013
Media
I bought two parrotlets they said yellow was boy green/blue was female? Can someone tell what they think they are? Please

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 4,185

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
, a male parrotlet should have distinctive blue markings near his eyes, on his rump, and on his wings. Females should be a solid colour. But I have no idea...

And a few others. How accurate they are, I'm not sure... hopefully someone who knows about parrotlets can tell you :)

Edit: my post somehow got butchered... I had linked a few posts and had more in there. Oops!

Last edited:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
If the male is yellow, it looks like a Lutino mutation where they don't have blue. You'd have to get a DNA test to tell for sure if you don't trust what the breeder said. The American Yellow males have blue.

Edit: forgot to say how gorgeous I think they are!! I really love yellow and blue in birds.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Yellow parrotlets might be able to be sexed via using a black light.... I think a male would light up more vibrantly than a female would.

This does not work with blue birds, though.

Never done this, so I don't know how accurate it is... but I recall a breeder trying this method on his birds and it seemed to work for him.

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
The yellow one could be a lutino, but my hen's father was a lutino with ruby red eyes. Usually males are more vocal then the females. Hence why I have a female and not a male. With pacific greens the males have a distinctive blue stripe behind the eyes compared to the females. You can have them DNA tested tobe 100% sure.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Didn't you know, all animals have their private parts hanging out??? It's pretty obvious if you flip them over! :p

Came across someone who had (has?) a sick, older cockatiel and worried about her being egg bound - even though she's never laid an egg in her life. There's no doubt that she's a hen cause she doesn't got them dangly parts down thur.... funny, cause she looks like a "he" to me!

*scratches head and walks off*

Most Reactions