Malibu is so eager...me not so much

Sulphiria

Banned
Banned
Mar 12, 2012
Deltona, Florida
Malibu has been great with us. He's letting both of us pick him up and give him treats, and his bites have become a lot less painful. The problem I'm having now is everytime he gets on my hand, he wants to go to my shoulder. Last night he was sitting on the perch next to me eating treats and when i looked away for 2 mins, he got close enough to grab a hold of my shirt and run up to my shoulder. I ducked my head and bent over to get him back on the perch. With his habit of biting, I'm afraid to have him anywhere near my face, but at the same time, i want him to be close to me! Am i just going to have to trust him and see if he bites? Do they make birdie muzzles? :D

Last edited:
OP
Sulphiria

Sulphiria

Banned
Banned
Mar 12, 2012
Deltona, Florida
So i picked him up and he turned around on my finger and leaned into me. I put him against my chest and he snuggled into me. I did that with him a few times over about an hour before he ditched my finger and latched onto my shirt. When he tried to climb up to my shoulder, i blocked him with my hand and he bit me, not too bad, no blood. Then he refused to step up! I took a few nips getting him up and back to his perch.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Of course your best bet is not to let him up there in the first place. Conures are pretty good at sneaking up there though. Each time, I would remove him and tell him "Don't" or "no" and he will get it after a few times.

Kokihi

Aug 11, 2010
Santa Barbara county, California
Parrots
One Green Cheek Conure: Tori
My GCC Tori always wants to be on my boyfriend's shoulder. My boyfriend doesn't like him to be there too long because he doesn't like poop on him. It used to be an ordeal getting Tori to step up for me off of my boyfriend's shoulder; or even off of my shoulder, because shoulders are his favorite place to be. Giving him treats and lots of love when hes on my hand has seemed to cure him of his addiction to shoulders, though. He isn't so eager to go straight to my shoulder, and I'm able to put him back on his cage more easily now.

Hope that helps you at least a little. :)

jewels04

Feb 4, 2012
Parrots
JJ-sun conure hatched roughly 1/16/2012

Cinderella-white and blue female budgie hatched 4/08/12

Rigby-white and blue male budgie hatched 5/05/2012
Mine I just got yesterday does the same thing, gets on my hand than instantly tries for the shoulder. That is one thing I am trying to keep her from doing. Hope you get some good advice, I worry about bites too which is why no shoulders for our bird.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I admit it's easier to keep big birds from going up there. If I keep my upper arm straight down, they can't seem to do it. Conures though go right up anyway. Rowdy can get very bossy if she is on my shoulder or head so I very rarely allow her up there. I probably never should as I'm sure by allowing it once in awhile I'm giving her mixed messages about what is ok, and what isn't. She does so much love to preen hair though.

Most Reactions

Latest posts