Mating??? I think

Facex2

Nov 25, 2010
I have my mothers 20+ year old male amazon that for lack of a better word is getting it on with his perch a paper towl roll and I am not sure why or what to do if anything I only have the one bird so why is he doing this should I stop him the first time I thoight something was wrong but now I think I know what he is doing but why

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
What he is doing is normal male sexual behavior. If he starts masterbating with your hand or arm then just quietly put him back in his cage. Do not stimulate him more by petting him beyond the neck area. He does not need a female bird to do this behavior. Perhaps reading up on the care of thest birds would help you. There is so much to know. If you can get the book Parrots for Dummies it would help you out. We usually suggest this to new parrot people. Good luck and do not worry he is ok. There are several videos on you tube.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNZKygDzeXY[/ame]

Last edited:
OP
Facex2

Facex2

Nov 25, 2010
I have the book but the sounds he makes is what threw me off th efirst time he did it I thought he was choking on somthing so just let him do his thing he has never done it when he is on me he hangs on to the side of his cage and puts one leg on each side of his perch and well you know. So he is just horney and let him do his thing?? I never mess too much with his body he loves his head rubbed and I do touch his feet but not a fan of anyone touching his body or wings but he did do very well for the vet...

I can say I never in a millon years would say I want a bird and now I have him you could never take him from me he is my new best friend:green2:

dragonlady2

Oct 3, 2010
Canada
Parrots
Eclectus-Willy, Alexandrine-Oliver, Two Barrabands -Joey and Peewee, Plumhead-Peanut, Senegal-Mookie, Australian King-Bella, Peachfront conure-Peachygirl, Crimson belly conure-Pepper, Parrotlette
I have 2 Alex's right now getting it on with their perch and bell. They both like to hear the bell tinkle. I can always tell when they are getting it on by the rhythmic sound of the bells. My other Alex will call out to Oliver and say Hi, while another Alex asks "whatyadoing?" Too funny. The first time I saw them doing it I thought they were having a seizure or something, I couldn't even get their attention. Soon figured out what was going on though. LOL

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Mwahahahaha!!!!! I couldn't stop laughing reading this. I have a male cockatiel that is very self-absorbed that he would hump his perch while looking at himself in the mirror... ROFLMAO..... we've gotta quit here, its getting deep....lol

Most Reactions

Latest posts