MBS Risk....it's real....

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
I live in a smallish house. We are in the country, our section is large and the closest neighbour has a cockatoo so I don't have anything to worry about in the noise department. That being said, with the size of our lounge, and the only place for the parrots being the lounge, two birds is plenty enough. We have a 'tiel and a ringneck, and whilst they have a decent play area with large enough cages, they don't over power the room the way it would if I was set up for two too's, or two greys for example.

I believe this. 99% of the time.

Thing is, the neighbours cockatoo is at my place now. I'm bird sitting. He's a Sulfur Crested.
His cage fits into the room well enough.

This morning, I woke up to this conversation:
Henry, IRN: "Peek a boo!"
Creighton, Cockatoo: "Hello darling."
Henry: "Whatya doing?"
Creighton: "Bein' good boy."

Cue heart melt, with sudden desire for another parrot.

Must remember not all birds talk.

Must remember we buy birds not expecting a talker.

Must remember I promised the husband I'd stick to two. Only two.

Must remember I can have a 'too fix whenever I want it.

But argh, so much fun, so much cuteness, so much love....

Last edited:

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
It is an incurable condition, only managed by bird sitting and purchasing ore fids. Treatment studies proved that MBS is indeed incurable.

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
I have 24 bird :)

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
We had two "perfect" birds and now we have 4, plus the finches and linnies. We've removed all the furniture we can, so we're at our limit :)

witchbaby

Feb 4, 2014
Virginia
Parrots
cinnamon turquoise gcc - luna,
pineapple gcc - drago,
galah/rose breasted cockatoo - merlin,
timneh african grey - jasper,
pied cockatiel - picasso,
blue & gold macaw - mia
The struggle is real.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
My name is Terry, and I also have MBS.
We started with a single free Zebra finch, and now have over 70 birds.
It is contagious, as my husband obviously caught it too.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I hear you... I used to have mad MBS too. I think I'm pretty well under control for now. I'll tell you why. First, I have to give tons of credit to those who can and do put in many hours per day just for cleaning and feeding of 20,40,60+ birds!

I do not let things get dirty and messy here, and feel like I'm constantly doing cleaning chores, but I tell you some days it is such a struggle with 5!! I'm also trying to keep Mink tame (handfed English budgie), and make her more comfortable with handling since she's still a baby. We're not making any fast progress because some days I don't have time. The birds are mine, not Don's, and the bird chores fall onto me solely.

Then the vet bills with my luck... Unfortunately, Raven had an accident very early in life that messed up the shape and function of his sinuses and nares, and because of it, he will be more prone to allergies and infections all his life (and are fighting it right now) regardless of how clean things are kept. This treatment is very expensive and ongoing. Then regular vet checks, Robin's sugery last year, etc. and well.... you get the picture.

Sure, there are a couple more dream birds that I'd love to have (more Pois and Pi's, and English budgies) but it would be really impractical for us here personally, for the foreseeable future. It is that reality that keeps my MBS in check. Also hard because it's not only birds... By nature, I like multiples of anything I like (whether animal or inanimate) lol.

Last edited:
OP
itchyfeet

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
That's exactly it RavensGryf. I handle these two really, really well. Now Creighton is here, I know I'm a lot my spread between the three. My IRN is awesome because of the time I give him, and it's going to take time to maintain that. To add now would be irresponsible.
It's only day two with Creighton, by the time he goes home my niggle might have passed lol :)

OP
itchyfeet

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots

Love this thread, don't know how I missed it! Thank you :)

Thought I was well cured when I woke up with a horrific head cold/sinus infection this morning and the 'too was having a good old screaming fit.

Apparently, I just passed it on to someone else instead. The husband is currently overseas in Taiwan and met a cute and cuddly Quaker today......

:green2:

Most Reactions