OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
BEAUTIFUL girl there. Very stunning. I always feel the Eclectus parrots are head turners. Everyone notices when an Eclectus is brought into the room.

Love the name of the thread. I was thinking maybe you were introducing Bill Bixby's wife. LOL.

In your picture she looks like she is settling in nicely.

Thank you, Rebecca! I'm a huge fan of ekkies, myself! (Obviously. Lol) There's just something about the hairlike quality of their head, neck and torso feathers that just grabs you! And those colors! Yep, definite fan. ;)

Haha! Yes, Bill Bixby did my favorite rendition of the Hulk's mild-mannered alter-ego, (respectful nods to Norton and Ruffalo, but NO ONE did it like Bill!) which is why my rampaging green flying machine was named after him.

She continues to settle in nicely. We're actually bonding surprisingly quickly. yesterday she started calling out after me whenever I left the room. Nothing crazy, just a few sounds of protest. And she now uses her whistle as her contact call to me when I'm out of sight. I'm definitely crushing on Miss Maya!

Saaayyyy whhhhhhhaaatttt?!?!? Oh Bixby is one lucky dude!!!! Look at GORGEOUS Miss Maya!!!

I'm sure HE'll be the one whistling once he sees HER!! Haha

Hahaha! Thanks, Shirre! We're all feeling rather lucky over here!

And as for Bixby's reaction to seeing her, he did spot her from across the house and looked about ready to fly straight to her! So now I do his flight drills on an entirely different floor! Can't have Bixby paying any impromptu visits just yet! Lol!

I am SO HAPPY for you and for Bixby....and the Mrs. ;) That's excellent news. I'm glad you took her.

Thanks, Patti! It's been a non-stop party over here since she arrived!

This makes me smile you don't even know, glad I was able to find her a great home!!! And if you haven't noticed yet sometimes when she whistles she whistles I love you lol..

Thanks, John! I'm glad that you decided that this would be a great home for her! I haven't heard her whistle "I love you," yet, but we have been rather amused by her ability to say "hello" in THREE distinctly different tones! One silky and feminine, one deeper and masculine, and one gravelly enough to give Wolverine himself a run for his money! Hahaha! High comedy!

Last edited:
OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
WOW! I'm thrilled for all of you!!! BreakinNews, I'm sorry you had to give up your beautiful girl, I always admire people who make the hard decisions and put the pets best interest first. It's easy to see she has had excellent care and I know that will continue.

Bixby, look at you, Buddy!!! What a lucky boy!

Stephen, what a gorgeous pair of Ekkies. Give Bixby a little time and I'll bet he'll be whistling at or with his new friend!

Thank you, Allee! Yes, I agree. It really is admirable when people are able to put the best interests of their pets ahead of their own. And judging from the beautiful quality of her plumage and sweet disposition, I also agree that she must have received excellent care in John's hands.

Haha! Bixby whistling?!? I suppose it's possible. Stranger, less likely things have at least been reportedly witnessed... Of course, most of those involve sightings of a yetti or flying, magical unicorns, but still... Hahaha!

Maya is beautiful! I think once she's done with her quarantine, you'll have a hard time keeping Bixby away;)

Thank you, April!

Lol! I actually already have a hard time keeping Bixby away from her! Ha!

Stephen, Maya is gorgeous! I am so excited for you all:)
BreakinNews, I am so sorry you had to give up this beautiful; girl, but hope it helps that she has gone to such a fantastic new home:)

Thank you, Terr! We're pretty excited over here, ourselves!

Hello Anansi, Maya is beautiful. Who knows? maybe she will teach Bixby to Whistle. :)

Thank you, MrsKay! Hmmm. There seems to be a lot of confidence around here that Maya will be able to convert Bixby from his whistle-hating ways. Hahaha! Perhaps Bixby has indeed met his match! If it does happen, know that I will IMMEDIATELY post it here! Lol!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
So how is Bixby acting around her now? Is he starting to get used to her and the whistling yet? Is he smitten?

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Congrats! Wow she is soooooooooooo beautiful! :D

Thanks, kq_fan! Yeah, she pretty much floored me the instant I laid eyes on her!

Very beautiful! Mango said if Mr . Bixby don't take a liking to her, give him a call!
Never saw a parrot drooling like he is right now, :32:.
Congrats on the purrrty burrrdy:D!

Thank you, Mango121913!

Hahahahahahaha! I'll make sure to convey Mango's sentiments to Bixby! Though, given the way he keeps calling out to her, (despite her whistling! Hahaha!) I doubt he'll be making that call! Sorry Mango! Lol!

AWWWW she's so cute! :D Congratulations! She looks exactly like my old Solomon Island Eckie, Sai (R.I.P.)

Haha poor poor Bixby.. ;)

Thank you, Kinny! And my belated condolences for the loss of Sai. Do you have any pics of her? I'd love to see what she looked like.

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
AWWWW she's so cute! :D Congratulations! She looks exactly like my old Solomon Island Eckie, Sai (R.I.P.)

Haha poor poor Bixby.. ;)

Thank you, Kinny! And my belated condolences for the loss of Sai. Do you have any pics of her? I'd love to see what she looked like.

^^ I keep looking at her photos..she's just too pretty!
Thank you <3 I do have one.. somewhere... I know I posted it on a website somewhere.. so I have to go digging. *sets out on a mission*

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
So how is Bixby acting around her now? Is he starting to get used to her and the whistling yet? Is he smitten?

Very much smitten, Terry! And he still protests the whistling, though nowhere near so much or often as he did before she began her patented desensitization process. Hahaha!

He does get rather upset whenever he hears us interacting with her while he's back in his cage. And this despite my making sure to ALWAYS give him his out time first. Hopefully things will smooth out once she gets the all clear and they can both be out at once.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I am not surprised he is smitten, she is so gorgeous!
I can't wait til they can be out together to see how they interact.
Does she seem interested in him as well?

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
I am not surprised he is smitten, she is so gorgeous!
I can't wait til they can be out together to see how they interact.
Does she seem interested in him as well?
Very! She's not yet comfortable with flying, so at one point I thought I could take Bixby out for flight drills while she was on her stand on the other side of the house.

I thought wrong! Hahaha! When Bixby started showing some interest in her, I chanced a look her way... and saw her psyching herself up to fly to him!

Well, that put an end to that. Haha!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Sounds like you have a love story in the making going on there...we can get updates, it will be like our own birdie soap opera...
Maybe "All My Eclectus"?
"The Young and The Feathered"?
"General Aviary"?
Or perhaps "The Spoiled and the Beautiful"?
:)

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Sounds like you have a love story in the making going on there...we can get updates, it will be like our own birdie soap opera...
Maybe "All My Eclectus"?
"General Aviary"?
Hahahahahaha! High comedy! Every single one! Just to add to your already impressive mix, how about "As the Bird Preens"? Lol!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Maybe "All My Eclectus"?
"General Aviary"?

"Days of our Eclectus." :54::54:

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Quick update! As of last night's training session, Maya has begun stepping up more consistently! And she allowed me to give a hug for the first time, too! (That's me hugging her against my chest, not that incredible macaw hug where they use their wings like arms and hug you! How amazing is that?!?)

Also, she confirmed her extreme sweetheart status, day before yesterday. At one point, while in the process of stepping up, she stepped awkwardly and she slipped off my hand. Her other foot was still on a branch of her tree stand, but it was the skinniest branch on the whole stand. More suitable for a cockatiel than an eclectus. So she wound up spinning into an upside down bat position! (Weirdest freak accident. Smh. Hard to even properly describe how it happened! Lol)

I reached out and cupped my hand beneath her back to catch her, just as she began the trademark ekky alarm shriek! Now, anyone with an ekky knows that when they are this alarmed, if you are not super-bonded, (heck, maybe even if you are!) putting your hand anywhere within beak's reach is a good way to get bitten. Hard!

As I caught her, I braced for the inevitable bite. She opened her mouth wide, put it over my thumb while still screaming bloody murder, and then.... gently nibbled? Hahaha! Love that bird!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Wow Stephen, that's amazing! I'd say Maya's sweetheart status is safe. I'm so happy Maya is already so happy and so cooperative. She's a beautiful girl inside and out.

Every time I see this thread and think of Bixby and Maya, I think of the lyrics to, "Do Wah Diddy", Manfred Mann wasn't it? Maybe Bixby could learn to sing it to her since he's so opposed to whistling.

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
She's a good bird, and she must feel pretty safe in her new home. That's the best news.

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
Wow! This is a phenomenal outcome for two members on our forums. I'm so happy for both of you - for you, Stephen, for welcoming a beautiful and wonderful bird into you life, and for you BreakinNewz for loving your bird so much and being willing to give her to an absolutely phenomenal home. I have no doubt in my mind that all of you will be very happy for a very long time :)

I can't wait until the Mrs. as Mr. can meet! I think the combination of Bixby's handsomeness and Maya's gorgeousness may cause any photographic device to explode ;)

witchbaby

Feb 4, 2014
Virginia
Parrots
cinnamon turquoise gcc - luna,
pineapple gcc - drago,
galah/rose breasted cockatoo - merlin,
timneh african grey - jasper,
pied cockatiel - picasso,
blue & gold macaw - mia
Congratulations! She's beautiful!

Most Reactions