Meet Mrs. Bixby!

drlisaort

Nov 3, 2012
Hollywood, Florida
Parrots
Oliver, Male (SI) Eclectus
What a beautiful story with a beautiful outcome for all! I can't imagine ever parting with Oliver but with life's unexpected twists and turns one never knows. I can say if that day ever came I most definitely would do exactly the same...give my precious bird to someone who would love him like I do. It seems this is exactly what happened here. Bravo for all! And....Mrs. Bixby has a very nice ring to it by the way...

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Wow Stephen, that's amazing! I'd say Maya's sweetheart status is safe. I'm so happy Maya is already so happy and so cooperative. She's a beautiful girl inside and out.

Every time I see this thread and think of Bixby and Maya, I think of the lyrics to, "Do Wah Diddy", Manfred Mann wasn't it? Maybe Bixby could learn to sing it to her since he's so opposed to whistling.

Allee, I'm overjoyed with how everything is turning out! And yes, she really is as beautiful inside as she is on the outside!

Hahaha! I think I'll start playing that song for them, just to see if one is able to pick it up! Would be interesting. Lol! And yes, it was Manfred Mann. (I had to look it up. ;p)

So happy to hear it Stephen!! :D great bird.

Thanks, Julie! She really is!

She's a good bird, and she must feel pretty safe in her new home. That's the best news.

Thanks, Patti! She is acclimating rather quickly to her new surroundings, though she does still sport that fidgety, ready to fly at a moment's notice, look whenever I walk around the house with her. But given that she's only been here since Monday, I think her rate of adjustment is probably ahead of the curve. Whoo-hoo!

Awwww!!!!! Such a sweetheart!!!! She obviously knew you were there to save her from her fall!

Thanks, Shirre! And yes! That she has already begun to trust me was really touching. I wouldn't have blamed her in the slightest if she'd chomped down with everything she had, given the scenario. (REALLY glad she didn't, though. Those beaks can deal some serious damage! Especially with those little vampire tooth serrations they have! Lol!)

Wow! This is a phenomenal outcome for two members on our forums. I'm so happy for both of you - for you, Stephen, for welcoming a beautiful and wonderful bird into you life, and for you BreakinNewz for loving your bird so much and being willing to give her to an absolutely phenomenal home. I have no doubt in my mind that all of you will be very happy for a very long time :)

I can't wait until the Mrs. as Mr. can meet! I think the combination of Bixby's handsomeness and Maya's gorgeousness may cause any photographic device to explode ;)

Thanks, Chantal! Hahaha! I'll make sure not to use my cell to take the pics of them together, then! Lol!

I can't wait until they meet, either! Aside from the excitement of the meeting itself, maintaining quarantine protocols gets tiring! Lol! Vet's appointment is this Monday!

What a beauty, congratulations on the new addition!

Thanks! Looking forward to some quality bonding time this weekend!

Congratulations! She's beautiful!

Thank you! Yeah, I do find myself rather mesmerized by her plumage whenever she's with me.

What a beautiful story with a beautiful outcome for all! I can't imagine ever parting with Oliver but with life's unexpected twists and turns one never knows. I can say if that day ever came I most definitely would do exactly the same...give my precious bird to someone who would love him like I do. It seems this is exactly what happened here. Bravo for all! And....Mrs. Bixby has a very nice ring to it by the way...

Thanks, Lisa! I know just what you mean. I can't imagine it either, but if that were ever to happen it would mean the world to me to know that they wound up in a home full of love for them.

And yes, I'm rather fond of the Mrs. Bixby moniker, myself. Lol! Once they get to meet, I reckon we'll truly learn whether that title is apropos. Lol!

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Well, now that Maya has spied Bixby doing flight drills with me from the other side of the house, she has gotten intensely curious about it... and has begun testing her own flight abilities. Haha!

Sometimes it's easy to forget how smart and observant our fids can be.

Now don't get me wrong. Those who know me know that I'd intended to flight train Maya same as Bixby, so her sudden interest in testing her wings isn't a bad thing in and of itself. (Especially since she appears to have an aptitude for it. Surprising, since she rarely flew in her prior home.)

But...

A bird that flies definitely makes quarantine a more... challenging proposition. Hahaha!

Her veterinary appointment can't come soon enough for me!

bonita

Aug 30, 2014
Pennslyvania
Parrots
Paddy male 8 yr.old GCC Cuddlebug, Emmy female parrotlet RIP Buddy 20 yr. blue headed conure adopted 10/23 Paddy RIP 10/23
A beautiful girl congratulations. Bonita :orange:

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
She is beautiful! Congratulations!

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Oh boy...those two are going to be best buds!!!

[emoji445]Maya and Bixby sittin in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G!!! [emoji445]

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
A beautiful girl congratulations. Bonita :orange:

She is beautiful! Congratulations!

Thank you Bonita, Blancaej!

Wish I'd gotten a good shot of her today after her first bath! (Well, since coming here at any rate.) Somehow, even while getting showered, she managed to maintain this elegant beauty, her head thrust up proudly, eyes half closed. It seemed almost regal. Hahaha!

Bixby, on the other hand, managed to maintain that charming, disheveled look that he has had since he was around 2 months old! Lol! He's definitely the Han Solo to her Princess Leia! Haha!

Oh boy...those two are going to be best buds!!!

[emoji445]Maya and Bixby sittin in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G!!! [emoji445]

Hahahaha! I'm hoping you're right, Shirre! Because they each get pretty jealous whenever the other is taken out. (Even when the other is beyond their range of sight! They just know!)

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Oh, and today I learned that Maya harbors a deep and abiding phobia of... brooms? It's weird. I bought all of these humongous and weirdly shaped new perches and whatnot for her cage and she handles me passing by her without missing a beat. But when I approached slowly and carefully with a broom to clean up the mess she'd made? All I saw was a streak of red and purple as she rounded the corner and did a nearly complete lap around the interior of my home! Lol!

No broom action while Maya is out and about? Check!

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Oh, and today I learned that Maya harbors a deep and abiding phobia of... brooms? It's weird. I bought all of these humongous and weirdly shaped new perches and whatnot for her cage and she handles me passing by her without missing a beat. But when I approached slowly and carefully with a broom to clean up the mess she'd made? All I saw was a streak of red and purple as she rounded the corner and did a nearly complete lap around the interior of my home! Lol!

I was giving the birds their afternoon treats. Well the sennies and linnies love pomegranate. This time I decided to serve them in sections in the skin for foraging. Well, as soon as I dropped a piece in Zoe's cup on her tree she flew off. I put her back and she flew off again and again. Turns out she's afraid of pomegranate in the skin. When I "peel" it she's fine.

Birds are weird.

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Amen! Hahaha! You know, I've considered doing that but never tried it. Guess that's a reaction I'll have to look out for as well. (Bixby is a pomegranate fiend!)

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel

She's such a sweetheart!!! :D
Sounds like perhaps in her previous home someone beat/hurt her with a broom?

Our Eclectus Tai used to get tapped on the head by a piece of bamboo, so whenever i use our stick if bamboo to get rid of spider webs in the aviary he goes into that ready to take off at any moment, alarmed state.. :/ fine with sticks of other woods, but he knows bamboo.. But he knows we're nice and likes getting pats from me. But still, that look of fear always gets to me.

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Thankfully, I can be reasonably certain in this case that Maya wasn't mistreated in her last home. Remember that I got her from one of the members, here, and I could tell that he took good care of her. So no, this seems to be just a case of Maya being a bit... eccentric. Lol!

As for your eclectus, (Tai is such a cool name, btw!) it's terrible that he was once treated like that. To the point that he can differentiate bamboo from other types of wood?!? Wow. I'm just glad you were able to give him a better and more loving home.

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
Oooh yes! Haha, in that case, Maya really is just eccentric ;)

Oh thank you! :D his previous owner didn't have names for them... Not even his original owner who raised him as a chick.. So I had the opportunity to give him a name. ^^

Oh yeah, he's VERY perceptive and watchful. Yeah, me too! :) I thought he was in pretty reasonable condition when we got him and his mate Sen, but now that they've been with us for well over a year their feather colours are more vibrant,his beak is smooth (was all flaky in that unhealthy way when we got him) and he's packed on weight... He's not fat hes just a good size now. Funny how you don't see how bad things are until they improve immensely! Nutrition: so underestimated.

They don't have a big enough aviary to fly properly so now that other things are built, my husband Loki and I are starting to think up/draw plans to attach a big flight to it, that way they can stay in their comfy spot, same aviary, just additional space so hopefully they won't stress.

How is Maya doing today??

Last edited:

BreakinNewz

Jun 1, 2013
Hey Stephen isnt the vet appointment today? If so let me/us know how everything went! Cant wait to see them together!

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Oooh yes! Haha, in that case, Maya really is just eccentric ;)

Oh thank you! :D his previous owner didn't have names for them... Not even his original owner who raised him as a chick.. So I had the opportunity to give him a name. ^^

Oh yeah, he's VERY perceptive and watchful. Yeah, me too! :) I thought he was in pretty reasonable condition when we got him and his mate Sen, but now that they've been with us for well over a year their feather colours are more vibrant,his beak is smooth (was all flaky in that unhealthy way when we got him) and he's packed on weight... He's not fat hes just a good size now. Funny how you don't see how bad things are until they improve immensely! Nutrition: so underestimated.

They don't have a big enough aviary to fly properly so now that other things are built, my husband Loki and I are starting to think up/draw plans to attach a big flight to it, that way they can stay in their comfy spot, same aviary, just additional space so hopefully they won't stress.

How is Maya doing today??
Hey Liana, any pics of Tai and Sen? And of their aviary? I'd love to see!
Hey Stephen isnt the vet appointment today? If so let me/us know how everything went! Cant wait to see them together!
Yup! Today is indeed the day, John! And I can't wait to see them together, either! Though there'll likely be a wait of an additional few days for the blood test results. Grrrrrrrrrr!

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
Hey Stephen, I'll see if I can get some shots today for you when I go give them their veggies/fruit. :) I need some more recent photos of Tai anyway, Sen at the moment is only showing her face haha.

Oh yay! I hope the vet visit goes well! *craving more photos of Maya*

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Hey Stephen, I'll see if I can get some shots today for you when I go give them their veggies/fruit. I need some more recent photos of Tai anyway, Sen at the moment is only showing her face haha.

Oh yay! I hope the vet visit goes well! *craving more photos of Maya*

Thanks, Liana! The pics of Tai and Sen were beautiful! And as for your craving for more Maya pics, see below!

How did Maya's appointment go??

Hey, Shirre! Let's put it this way. I have a FAR greater appreciation for both Maya's sweet nature and her fastidious preening skills after today's visit! Hahaha!

I've had Lady Maya for a full week, now, and prior to today she's been nothing but a complete sweetheart. And all was going well at the vet... until he toweled her! Wow. Want to talk about straight rage? I've never seen that side of her! She seemed like she'd have wanted nothing more than to rip their faces off! Biting and lunging any time a hand other than mine came within approximate reach of her beak, she was a feathered bundle of fury! Lol!

The vet said that she's in good feather and seems completely healthy from the physical exam. He also said that given her history, (2 years old, now, and in her prior home since 4 months old; and exposed to no other birds during that time) she is at extremely low risk for most of the disease groups... as most would have at least presented symptoms by now.

The exception, however, is Avian Borna Virus, which can remain hidden for years before rearing its ugly head. So, in addition to her regular blood tests, I ordered a DNA test for the presence of that disease as well. (These tests are criminally expensive, aren't they?!? But worth it in the end.

It's good to know that even the vet was looking at the test as more like a peace of mind formality than anything else. In just one week, we've already grown so attached to her.

K, here come the pics:

Maya back in the car and ready to return home.
20140908_163817_zpscde859e4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Maya preening on the way home from the vet's office. (Wish I'd gotten a pic of how disheveled she looked right afterward. She was giving Bixby's patented "perpetually tousled" look a run for its money! Lol!)
20140908_163847_zps409a6188.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Full out rage makes a girl HUNGRY! Lol!
20140908_191852_zpsa159c638.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hanging with my wife.
2014-09-09041543_zps7a679395.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

2014-09-09041720_zpsf953f975.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Boy did I crack up laughing at your description of Maya's reaction to being toweled.

I'm sure you, your wife (AND Maya) are happy that the physical is over and done with, and that the early 'prognosis' is great.

How long did it take her to get her feathers back in place? Looking at the photos of your wife holding her, Maya was really forgiving, no? :D

I can clearly see how the young Miss stole your heart already. ;)

Most Reactions

Latest posts