Meet my new baby, Davy Jones!

OP
Grash0perC

Grash0perC

Jul 16, 2019
Parrots
Davy Jones - An African Grey
Little head can’t flap his wings very much in his area under my desk so he’s in there less now. I mostly cut out patches for my business (Mutiny Shop) so now he hangs out on the couch with me most of the time while I work - I’m going to bring my laptop down to answer emails and what not so he has more time with open space.

HPlPko0

Hm. I can’t get the picture to work right now because I’m on mobile. I’ll try later.

Last edited:
OP
Grash0perC

Grash0perC

Jul 16, 2019
Parrots
Ok! I finally got the video edited. He get's super playful: growling, rolling around, etc. He also says "I Love You" perfectly and makes some other good tries.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpQkpjuURuw"]Baby African Grey parrot goes crazy! - YouTube[/ame]

OP
Grash0perC

Grash0perC

Jul 16, 2019
Parrots
This morning he would barely eat any formula (maybe 15cc) and I just fed him his lunch and he'd only take about 15 cc. Yesterday he was happily eating around 50 cc at each meal. He is eating a lot more solid food, but is he really weaning at 3 months and five days? I'm just concerned because the change happened suddenly. I'm going to call the vet. His poop is still good and he has the same behavior and demeanor.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
This morning he would barely eat any formula (maybe 15cc) and I just fed him his lunch and he'd only take about 15 cc. Yesterday he was happily eating around 50 cc at each meal. He is eating a lot more solid food, but is he really weaning at 3 months and five days? I'm just concerned because the change happened suddenly. I'm going to call the vet. His poop is still good and he has the same behavior and demeanor.

Do you have a scale? If not you should acquire one. It is a good idea to weigh Davy EVERY DAY and keep track of his weight. At his young age (and as he gets older) its good to know for a baseline when he goes visit his doctor for a wellness check or if he got ill. Do you have a CERIFIED AVIAN VET for him? NOT just an "exotics" vet,but someone who specializes in birds?

Jim

OP
Grash0perC

Grash0perC

Jul 16, 2019
Parrots

Do you have a scale? If not you should acquire one. It is a good idea to weigh Davy EVERY DAY and keep track of his weight. At his young age (and as he gets older) its good to know for a baseline when he goes visit his doctor for a wellness check or if he got ill. Do you have a CERIFIED AVIAN VET for him? NOT just an "exotics" vet,but someone who specializes in birds?

Jim

I got a scale but it says he is 14 ounces lol so I don't think that's right. It's a pretty expensive scale so I don't know what that's about. I guess I'll get another one.

I used the website to search for an avian vet. Only one came up and when I called them they said that she wasn't an avian just exotic that will see birds. I'm surprised there isn't an avian vet in Las Vegas.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Sounds like your scale is set on OZ and not G's (grams) There are roughly 28g's to make an ounce so multiply 28 times 14 (oz) and you get 392g's. You REALLY should find an AVIAN vet :) Would you bring your $100,000 Porshe to a "regular" mechanic or would you bring it to someone who specializes in Porshe? Just sayin'....

Jim

OP
Grash0perC

Grash0perC

Jul 16, 2019
Parrots
He flew for the first time! From the couch to the sink. I'm so proud!

OP
Grash0perC

Grash0perC

Jul 16, 2019
Parrots
He's becoming all grown up! Davy Jones is very healthy and doing wonderful.

fiaAgNI.jpg

He ate formula for the last time yesterday. He loves everything I offer him: fruits, veggies, etc, but mostly eats pellets. I'm trying to figure out what would make a good treat right now to start training him.

He's barely old enough now to start to understand the difference between food and a treat. I'm thinking sunflower seeds, because most of the other treats seem too hard for him to eat. I haven't tried it yet though.

I made up a song with just the lyrics "I Love You" over and over again a week ago because it's some of the few words he understands. He sang it with me earlier today and it was pretty much the best moment of my life :D he is just too cute!! I can't stand it.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Try shelled pine nuts as his training treat. Cut them in half or thirds. My Salty would build me a Volkswagen for a pine nut. Get them at your supermarket.

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
Congrats on the new baby Grey

One suggestion I’ll make is never, ever sleep with your bird , they are easily hurt or worse if you dose off and move the wrong way.

OP
Grash0perC

Grash0perC

Jul 16, 2019
Parrots
He loves flying! A good 30% of the time he decides to land on my head :D I got him a flight harness and he lets me put it on him no problem. Today he started sitting by the window and looking out. Whenever a car drives by he fluffs up and growls.

Try shelled pine nuts as his training treat. Cut them in half or thirds. My Salty would build me a Volkswagen for a pine nut. Get them at your supermarket.

OMG he is obsessed with them! Amazing recommendation, thanks!

Congrats on the new baby Grey

One suggestion I’ll make is never, ever sleep with your bird , they are easily hurt or worse if you dose off and move the wrong way.

Of course! I won't do anything to risk hurting my baby.

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Oh what a sweet little guy. Love him :heart: He is so tiny.
Levi was 4 months old when I got him. Your guy is still such a baby, oh my goodness.

OP
Grash0perC

Grash0perC

Jul 16, 2019
Parrots
Davy is 102 days old!

He can now say:

I love you
Hello
Outside
What ya doing?
Oo-oo-aw-aw
Pine nut
Food
Come here

Not super clear of course. He has said I love you perfectly a few times but he forgets how between sessions a lot. The other words we can understand but other people probably couldn't. He started talking like crazy the past few days when he picked up all these new words, but he is still very amateur on them and will only repeat them right after you (he will randomly say oo--oo--aw--aw throughout the day and I love you, his two best phrases).

He knows step up but won't do it most of the time unless you have a treat. He usually flies to me on command.

I bought this big lesson plan that supposed to teach baby's how to speak and read English. It's really cool because it comes with several songs designed to teach them how to talk. Then there are flash cards, books, etc. It hasn't come in the mail yet but I'm really excited to try it on him.

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
Enzo - adopted Female CAG circa 2004. A truly amazing young lady!
He knows step up but won't do it most of the time unless you have a treat. He usually flies to me on command.

African Greys, are very stubborn birds (and clumsy!), they will do things when they want to and only if they want to..... unless of course you have a treat ;)

I dont usually give Enzo treats unless its my meal time and Enzo likes what I have and its safe for her. Because of this I accept the fact that I have to respect her when she desnt want t do something. I quite like this tbh as I know Enzo has a say in things, unless of course she has to do something....going back in her cage if im going out etc.

Its a learning curve I suppose, a very very enjoyable one. :grey:

OP
Grash0perC

Grash0perC

Jul 16, 2019
Parrots
Got a lot of his talking ability on film :) also some clips of us playing!

[ame="https://youtu.be/eE7a4N25a18"]The cutest baby African Grey parrot of all time! 👏🏼 - YouTube[/ame]

Aves99

Aug 12, 2019
So. CA
Parrots
Red-Bellied Parrots, Senegal, Amazons, House Sparrow, Cockatoos, Cockatiels and a Dusky conure
Davy Jones is very cute. I used to have my baby red-bellied parrots watch the Baby Einstein videos.

OP
Grash0perC

Grash0perC

Jul 16, 2019
Parrots
Davy Jones is very cute. I used to have my baby red-bellied parrots watch the Baby Einstein videos.

I wanted a good kids show for him to watch, thanks for the recommendation!

OP
Grash0perC

Grash0perC

Jul 16, 2019
Parrots
He wasn't a big fan...

[ame="https://youtu.be/CMkrieka2E4"]African Grey Parrot’s Reaction to Watching iPad for the First Time - YouTube[/ame]

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Carefully vet the videos you show to Davy, you don't want him picking up bad habits from parrots on screen, things like screaming or cursing. And he very well could do that - Salty learns a lot of words and songs from watching youtube videos. He usually introduces him self, and asks 'Are you a bird? A pretty bird?'. Try looking at videos with one specific type of parrot, you might find Davy likes only them - Salty loves videos with Indian Ringnecks and learns fastest from them. Oddly enough, videos of Amazons only get him excited and African Greys leave him flat and he will wander away.

Most Reactions

Latest posts