Meeting a possible rescue today - need advice

Cheri

Jul 16, 2015
We have owned parrots in the recent past but are currently “empty nesters”... a neighbor who knows our history brought to my attention that an elderly patient of hers has a 17 yr old B&G and is no longer able to care for it. In fact, she HASN’T been able to really interact with it for about 2 years. From what I understand, this poor bird has been basically left alone in another room - always out of cage, out of site of owner.... very sad. Beak and nails are overgrown but feathers do not seem to have been plucked. Screams for attention that never comes. The woman’s son comes a few days a week to feed the bird.

Obviously this bird needs to be in a better situation. I have not met the bird yet (meeting scheduled for today)..... so....

How do I even BEGIN to approach this poor baby?????

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
First...take a deep breath. This bird needs help and you have been presented with the opportunity to take over its care. What an excellent way to get back into the bird ownership game than taking in a bird who needs a better life. I would highly suggest you read all of Birdman666's posts abo9ut macaws to really get more of a feel for their language and the way they operate.

Plan to visit the bird a few times if you can. Bring tasty treats - nuts, fruit, something it likes. It really will be questionable how it will take to you but a treat offering may help put you in the right direction. I hope others with more large bird rescue experience will chime in here. Good luck!!!!

OP
Cheri

Cheri

Jul 16, 2015
Thanks. Planning to bring treats and just chill in the birds’ presence. Will get a feel for how fearful or attention seeking she is.... hope we can help.��

OP
Cheri

Cheri

Jul 16, 2015
Went and met poor little Jadey.

Hopped right onto my arm and practically begged me to take her home.

Zero manners, poops EVERYWHERE, smells like cigarette smoke, terrible, cheap diet, few toys. :(. Could use a shower (Has never had one)

So what should I do? This is a much bigger bird than I’m used to... what is the best way to transition her and how do I get her cleaned up?

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Sounds like a bird wanting you to take her now!!! I don't blame her.

First make sure you and everyone in your family is ready for this commitment.With such a big bird, know that the expenses do go up. A vet visit will be in order for her. The vet may be able to clean her up for you. She will most likely need a new sturdy, well made cage, new perches, toys, and of course you'll want to establish a new diet for her. After you have the things necessary to house her then you can begin working (with the help of your avian vet) on improving her feather condition with baths and working to improve her overall health to where it should be.

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
Went and met poor little Jadey.

Hopped right onto my arm and practically begged me to take her home.

Zero manners, poops EVERYWHERE, smells like cigarette smoke, terrible, cheap diet, few toys. :(. Could use a shower (Has never had one)

So what should I do? This is a much bigger bird than I’m used to... what is the best way to transition her and how do I get her cleaned up?

Speaking from several years as an Adoption Coordinator for a parrot rescue, I would suggested meeting with Jadey again at least a second time. A bird starved for attention may be very wonderful on the first visit, but not so friendly the next time.

If things go well the second visit and you are committed to bringing her home, obviously get the cage, perch and toys ordered. I would schedule a vet appointment and take her from the house direct to the vet for a full checkup, bloodwork panels including CBC and liver function, let them do the beak and nail grooming. Then it's just take her home and love, time and patience. Pick up a shower perch and let her sit on the perch in the shower and see how she responds to water, she may be a macaw that loves to play in water, otherwise, take your time gently mist if you have a handheld shower head. If she is on a crappy diet, just try offering her healthy pellets and lots of fresh food.

Once you have her in the house, take it easy so you do not overwhelm her with attention and such. Let her set the pace for interaction, if she wants lots of snuggles and affection, then give it to her, if not, work on target training with treats and building up the trust. But very often a macaw that picks their person, and if Jadey has decided you are her new parents, will go happily go home and adapts to your home as if she's been there forever. My Max was left at the shelter at 25 years of age, he decided I was his new mom and he came home with me right out of quarantine. And there was no settling in period, we joked he pretty much packed his bags and moved in like he owned the place :) And still the same 4 years later!!

Same thing happened with my daughter, Victoria (riddick07 screen name here)... she bonded with a blue and gold, and if you look up photos and video, you would never guess that Titan had only just come home for most of those videos and pics.

Hope all goes well and Jadey has picked you as her new family and you have a wonderful transition with bringing her home!

OP
Cheri

Cheri

Jul 16, 2015
Thank you so much for your replies! Hubby is a vet (small animal only) and his partner is Avian, so not worried about vet bills - thank gawd for small favors! - just want to be sure I can make this transition smooth for her. I’ve never had a bird that had not been used to taking showers, so I don’t want to freak her out..... I guess I’ll start by misting her.

Going back to visit again in a few days and then will bring her home a week from today.

Will keep you posted.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Thank-you, for considering this MAC.

Please ensure that your husband goes on the next visit!!! The want is for those two to at least like each other. Out and out fear or serious dislike is a tough place to start from. Can be done, I do it all the time, just better to know about it before hand.

Reading!

- Yes, look at the MAC Forum and search for Birdman666 targeting his threads and posts. FYI, Birdman666 is not the only MAC expert that hangs-out in the MAC forum, so nose around a bit!

- In the Amazon Forum is Sticky Thread (light blue at top of page) Titled: I Love Amazons - ... Take the word Amazon and insert MAC for near everything in that Huge Thread (over 30 Segments). The diet is much the same only that a MAC can handle a bit higher Protean in their diet.

Transport Cage!

I love the plastic Cat Carriers because they come apart in three pieces. They come in larger sizes (dogs). Clearly, you will want a larger dog version! Sizing, target large enough for your MAC to turn around in, yup, the tail will likely have a slight turn to it. NEVER leave a MAC in a Travel Carrier any longer than needed, they will crew it to pieces! Also, the problem with getting the MAC out goes away, since the side snaps allow the removal of the top!

Home Cage, Large Parrot!

I have used "Birdcages4less.com" for years! My number one requirement is a Full Height Front Access Door! This style door just makes everything easier on everyone!!!

They have Stainless Steel, but those cages are just a bit out of my range. This group has a full line of Powder Coated Cages.

At their site: Note the tabs along the top, select: Bird Cages. The drop down will give you several choices: Choose Large Bird Cages. That may give you three choices, choose the second one.

With Cages: Get the larges you have room for in the area that you spend the majority of your time. He will love being the center of things!

- Mauna Kea Mansion, Extra Large Bird Cage - 48"W x 36"D x 76"H Price: 899.99 USD

- Maholo Manor, Large Bird Cage - 40"W x 30"D x 75"H Price: 799.95 USD Note: This would represent the smallest possible cage for a B&G and would require that the perch placement keeps the MAC's tail in consideration.

Both cages have full height access doors and have flat tops with Play Areas. Some people favor the crown tops, but for me, the flat tops clean easier and they add a top place area.

I believe that they have a Sale at this time!!! But, also check the Sale Tab!

I hope this helps!

Again Thank-You!!!!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Great advice!

I hope all goes very well!

We are all pulling for a happy-ending tale here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for doing this, and for letting us share your wonderful adventure.

OP
Cheri

Cheri

Jul 16, 2015
THANKS, ALL, FOR THE ADVICE!

Continuing my reading! Will keep you posted!:red1:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hoping for the best with your possible adoption. Lucky indeed is the family that a B&G falls in love with.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Good for you! Our macaw was rescued from a similar situation - he had been sitting on a perch not being handled for a couple of years. He can't fly - is physically disabled - so there was a foot high mountain of poo under his perch. He's not normal - he has some congenital spine problems which are painful, so his personality is much more reserve and he's not as rambunctious as most macaws. All the advice above is excellent. I second the idea of taking him right to the vet for a checkup, beak and nail trim ... while you get things set up for him at home. You can't know how his personality will be after he settles in, but just in case ... Birdman666 wrote some good posts about how to handle bluffing macaws. They do this thing where they charge at you to see if they can make you jump, and if you do it becomes fun for them, and they can start to think they are in charge. So you want to give them loving guidance. Love and acceptance and also firm boundaries so things don't get out of hand.

There is a good book, called The Second Hand Parrot, which is a good intro to this world of rehomed parrots. I like the Dummies parrot book also.

OP
Cheri

Cheri

Jul 16, 2015
Thanks all! I went to meet her. Very sweet, but no manners, has had free run of a dirty mobile home - no cage. Very dirty bird, horrendous diet.
I decided she needed someone with much more macaw experience than I. Contacted a friend who is very experienced with macaws who has agreed to take her.

She will be in a much healthier environment with someone who can get her back on a healthy track.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I'm deeply concern that in a matter of hours you are looking at two different Large Parrots (B&G Mac and a YN Amazon).

The members of Parrot Forums are happy to help, when you settle of specific species.

It is very important that when 'shopping' that you remember that the Parrot choosing you is far more important than you choosing.

Last edited:
OP
Cheri

Cheri

Jul 16, 2015
As stated above, Sailboat, we met with the macaw & her owner. After the meeting we realized that this bird was in pretty bad shape and needs more specialized help. A friend with tons of macaw experience has agreed to take her. She’ll be in great hands! Our search continues!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts