How to gain large bird experience

FreddyCheeks

May 8, 2013
Media
NJ
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure-Fred-Hatch date 3/5/13 --- Bourke parakeet- Pinky - home date 11/27/17---CAG-Chicken Lily-home date 12/1/17
Hello all.

I have wanted a large macaw for a very long time but keep running into a large road block. I have 0 macaw experience. I really don't want to just buy one as I do see them pop up for adoption quite often. I have looked into rescues to let me socialize with them to build confidence and to maybe find a bird in need, but the closest one is 90 miles away, so I would only be able to visit once a week if that. Another thing I realized is after my wife's grey tagged me, I've been a little more cautious around large birds at my local bird store. I know having this can give large Macs the wrong idea, so I want to get past that first. Any suggestions would be great, as I really do want a large macaw.

Fyi, I do not know anyone with a large macaw.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
even once a week is more than most people get before going in on a macaw. There's a thread at the top of the macaw page called "Big beak-o-phobia" written by birdman. It is an incredible source of info on the big beaks and does strangely help with confidence around big beaks.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Perhaps plan a visit to the rescue just to meet some of the macaws there. It doesn't need to be a weekly thing. If you like some of the birds at the rescue, perhaps they know someone in your area who owns a macaw who'd be willing to let you come interact with their bird to gain experience or you could put the word out locally that you're wondering if anyone will let you come meet and interact with their bird to gain experience before looking into buying/adopting one for yourself:)

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
May I just say that... I like your style!?
Good for you, for researching, and reaching out, as opposed to diving in and daring fate? I like your open-mindedness, and I admire your integrity.

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
I know it's a long drive, we had that ourselves the first time we adopted. But in my previous life as an Adoption Coordinator for a large parrot rescue, weekly visits is fine for working with birds. If you are serious about adopting, I would suggest completing an application, do the basic screening and make your first visit to meet birds. If you are dealing with a good rescue, they will be happy to offer hands on experience and education, learning not only about general care and handling, but reading macaw body language and such. And adopting an adult macaw is the way to go, let the bird pick you, if you got that route and an adult macaw picks you as his/her person in life, the relationship is amazing and eliminates so many problems people try when they are working to 'win over' a macaw's affection, which may never happen. Macaws are notorious for liking who they like, and if you are not one of those people, it is often a long difficult (and bloody) road to even have a relationship of tolerance. But a macaw that picks you, well different story... look up videos and pics of me with Max or my daughter Victoria (riddick07) with her new adopted macaw Titan.

But definitely reach out to a shelter and make at least one visit, will give you at least a bit of reality being around the big guys outside of a pet store.

Good luck!

OP
FreddyCheeks

FreddyCheeks

May 8, 2013
Media
NJ
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure-Fred-Hatch date 3/5/13 --- Bourke parakeet- Pinky - home date 11/27/17---CAG-Chicken Lily-home date 12/1/17
I know it's a long drive, we had that ourselves the first time we adopted. But in my previous life as an Adoption Coordinator for a large parrot rescue, weekly visits is fine for working with birds. If you are serious about adopting, I would suggest completing an application, do the basic screening and make your first visit to meet birds. If you are dealing with a good rescue, they will be happy to offer hands on experience and education, learning not only about general care and handling, but reading macaw body language and such. And adopting an adult macaw is the way to go, let the bird pick you, if you got that route and an adult macaw picks you as his/her person in life, the relationship is amazing and eliminates so many problems people try when they are working to 'win over' a macaw's affection, which may never happen. Macaws are notorious for liking who they like, and if you are not one of those people, it is often a long difficult (and bloody) road to even have a relationship of tolerance. But a macaw that picks you, well different story... look up videos and pics of me with Max or my daughter Victoria (riddick07) with her new adopted macaw Titan.

But definitely reach out to a shelter and make at least one visit, will give you at least a bit of reality being around the big guys outside of a pet store.

Good luck!

Yeah I filled out the volunteer application, so hopefully they get back to me. The rescue nearest to me (lonelygrey) is a good one from what others in the local FB bird forum have said and also encouraged me to come and volunteer to see how they would act around me and vice versa. Probably won't hear anythi g about this weekend since it is a holiday, but hopefully next weekend. We shall see.

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)

Good luck!

Yeah I filled out the volunteer application, so hopefully they get back to me. The rescue nearest to me (lonelygrey) is a good one from what others in the local FB bird forum have said and also encouraged me to come and volunteer to see how they would act around me and vice versa. Probably won't hear anythi g about this weekend since it is a holiday, but hopefully next weekend. We shall see.

Dan and Ria at Lonely Grey are a wonderful couple. Definitely worth the drive! I believe Dan does require you to volunteer and get hands no experience working with a big bird before adopting, an excellent routine or process, and when you meet the right macaw, you will know it because the bird makes it clear they are going home with you :)

It's a joke I never wanted a macaw, but Max decided I was his new mom and he was coming home with regardless of what I thought or wanted!!

I hope you have the same experience and end up with a wonderful addition to your family!

Cas27

Jul 27, 2017
NewJersey
Parrots
Blue and gold macaw,green wing Macaw,goffins cockatoo,Congo African grey
Hi,
I got my B&G when he was 8 years old at a pet store. I consider him a rescue I visited him every day for a month before bringing him home...he was the first macaw I ever had experience with.
I just learned on my own he took too me and know one else he was a biter but with me because I showed know fear when he would act up he took too me.
Maybe you just have too take the leap and adopt one that takes too you.

Most Reactions