Mental illness and owning parrots

eagle18

Banned
Banned
Jan 25, 2018
Missouri
Parrots
I have one Umbrella, a Bare Eye, and two budgies.
I honestly don't think people who have severe mental illnesses should be owning a parrot.

I say this, because I have suffered from depression for most of my life and now have anxiety on top of it. It may pass as I get older, or it may get worse.

Owning a parrot is stressful enough with the vet bills, spending quality time with the bird, and figuring out the bird's body language. You put an aggressive bird in that mix and the anxiety only gets worse. Plus, with depression it is hard enough to take care of one's self at times much less a bird.

However, I do feel that an animal companion adds happiness, self worth, and unconditional love to a person's life. Just not from a bird.

Iā€™m glad you feel able to express that opinion and of course you are welcome to believe it, but I whole heartedly disagree. My birds have DEMANDED that I come up with effective strategies do even the worst days, and they bring my average day up by miles. If you are able to care for them and/or able to come up with strategies to be sure they are cared for when you cannot do it, there is no reason why you shouldnā€™t have a bird. Also realize that each personā€™s experience is his own; you may be unable to preform a task that others are able to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am glad it has worked out for you, but each individual is different in how depression, anxiety, etc... affects them. Birds are demanding and combine that quirk with somebody on the verge of a nervous breakdown and I am pretty sure the bird will end up suffering.

The suffering could come in the form of suicide which will leave the bird traumatized as well as homeless, or it could be in the form of neglect or emotional/physical abuse.

I would rather somebody would surrender their pet before it gets to that point but that rarely happens.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Yes, one needs to be mentally ill to own a parrot. At least it helps. J/K , but pet ownership has defiantly been shown to help in many type of illness.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I honestly don't think people who have severe mental illnesses should be owning a parrot.

Severe being the operative word here. Most individuals with severe mental illnesses probably shouldn't be the primary caretaker of any animal. If someone who helps take care of them is willing to help care for the animal too that provides them comfort etc... that is fine IMO. But a mentally sound/responsible party should be around to make sure the animal is getting proper care or providing care.

That said, none of what any users here have described their mental status as sounds like it would be severe enough to make them unable to be sole care provider for an animal (or animals) on their own. I think there is a fine line between an animal being beneficial to helping with a mental illness and being unable to care for any dependent due to your mental status.

NightEule5

Apr 4, 2017
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Phillip - Green Cheek Conure (RIP)
Having Social Anxiety (probably more like GAD now), depression, and suspected OCD (will get an official diagnosis on that soon), I can say the budgies I care for have definitely been benefitial.

Like others have said, with anxiety/depression it can be near impossible to get out of bed and face your day. This is bad because on top of avoiding responsibilities, you need to get out of bed to take medication.

The budgies help because if I don't get out of bed, they'll be without food and water (I'm now the only one that takes care of them, even though they aren't mine). Once out of bed, I feel better able to face the day ahead because just getting up is an obstacle in and of itself.

As far as the notion that the mentally ill shouldn't have parrots, while I think people can have their opinions, I don't agree either. For most people, as has already been mentioned, they're more beneficial than they are detrimental.

reeb

Oct 23, 2017
Media
Albums
Cape Town, South Africa
Parrots
Berry (ā™€ Cockatiel) hatched June 2017
Opal (ā™‚ Budgie) hatched 13 August 2017
Pearl (ā™€ Budgie) hatched 15 August 2017
+ an aviary of 16 other budgies! all hatched 2014-2017

Severe being the operative word here. Most individuals with severe mental illnesses probably shouldn't be the primary caretaker of any animal. If someone who helps take care of them is willing to help care for the animal too that provides them comfort etc... that is fine IMO. But a mentally sound/responsible party should be around to make sure the animal is getting proper care or providing care.

That said, none of what any users here have described their mental status as sounds like it would be severe enough to make them unable to be sole care provider for an animal (or animals) on their own. I think there is a fine line between an animal being beneficial to helping with a mental illness and being unable to care for any dependent due to your mental status.

I still regard my illnesses as severe, particularly my anxiety. My panic attacks are erratic, unexpected and terrifying at times. It's just the nature of Panic Disorder (look it up if you are interested in the symptoms). I have also been in such a severe state with my Bipolar that I have been hospitalised a few times.

That being said, the severity of my Bipolar is pretty well-controlled by medication, and has been for a few years now. However, the anxiety is incredibly difficult to deal with. I struggle with it pretty much every day.

Sure, if you consider someone who has an illness that results in them being hospitalised for most of their life, then they probably shouldn't have dependents. This isnā€™t the majority though. Many people with chronic and severe mental illness are stable and capable. But even if you suffer "severe" symptoms (like I do), it doesn't mean you aren't strong enough to carry on and care for others. Many mentally ill individuals are the strongest people I know. Sometimes it's difficult to function, and that's what friends and family are for - I know I will always be able to rely on my family and friends to care for my birds in the event that I am struggling to function.

So to me, even if your symptoms are severe, you can still have pets, you can even have children. You just have to surround yourself with a support structure. Saying that people with chronic mental illnesses can't have dependents is the same as saying that someone with a chronic physical illness can't have dependents.

Just my opinion. I am very passionate about breaking the stigma and misunderstandings surrounding mental illnesses. It's literally my life's mission. Because I stand as proof of someone who continually overcomes many, many "severe" struggles. Yet here I am, caring for my animals, and doing a pretty good job of it. Plenty of people with severe mental illnesses are just like me.

Last edited:

Amadeo

Mar 29, 2018
UK, North West, Lancashire
Parrots
Sherbert (Male Cockateil, Grey with Emerald/Olive),
Moth (Female Budgerigar, Pied),
Melia (Female Budgerigar, Dilute)
This is an interesting topic to think about.
I hear plenty of stories about people with mental illness or disorders having their life become better with animal interaction and pets but I don't see much about parrots specifically.

I can give my own stroty on this as I have ASD, high functioning autism (formally aspergers) and the presence of a parrot, of animals in general, has been helpful.
It gives my life some routine and animals don't judge, so if I'm weird (like I usually am) they won't turn around and make fun of me.
On the other hand it can be overwhelming sometimes and I just need to shut myself away for a day, in which case my family take over looking after the animals for a day.
It has been both good and bad for me,mostly positive though.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Sometimes it's difficult to function, and that's what friends and family are for - I know I will always be able to rely on my family and friends to care for my birds in the event that I am struggling to function.

So to me, even if your symptoms are severe, you can still have pets, you can even have children. You just have to surround yourself with a support structure. ]

You speak of family and friends, which is nice for people who have that in their life, but not everyone has a supportive, tight knit family or good, reliable social circle. Many families of mentally ill people (some of the family members showing symptoms of mental illness themselves) do not believe mental illness exists, much less be supportive of a parent, spouse/partner, child or relative with one. A lot of mentally ill people have absolutely no one, some may not even have a stable place to live. If they have severe mental illness, especially the kinds where they are not fully engaged with reality (such as unmanaged schizophrenia, dissociative identity disorder) or those with borderline personality disorder, those who frequently fall into dissociative states or even those who are self-medicating with drugs and/or alcohol, they probably shouldn't be the primary caretake of themselves much less other sentient beings until their illnesses are being managed and/or addictions treated.

You also forget about those individuals with more dangerous forms of mental illness. Have you ever dealt with a true narcissist? They use and abuse with no ability to empathize with those they bring harm to. They don't care what they do so long as it benefits them. It's not me being mean saying these things either, it's actually recognized symptoms of the disorder: https://psychcentral.com/disorders/narcissistic-personality-disorder/. What about someone with true antisocial personality disorder, some of whom can be violent and also do not possess the ability to empathize? Should people with those issues really own an animal (or have children, for that matter)? They may not be able to help the disorders they have, but due to their illnesses, the harm they can bring to other living beings is too great to justify them being in charge of care of another being.

Also, in the past, my anxiety was much much worse as was my depression. I don't discuss publicly what started it or just how bad it got, but I assure you, I do understand.

Last edited:
OP
itzjbean

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I will agree that those with severe or unstable mental illness with no support system (no spouse, no relatives living with them, no close family or friends) should not have animals or children. If you need to be taken to the hospital and there is no one to care for your animals or children while you are away, or if you physically cannot get out of bed and are crippled into paralysis, if there are zero people around to help out, then no I don't think animals or children should be in that situation. It would be very dangerous to put dependents in the care of someone unstable like that.

But mental illness is not black and white as many may think it is. Many have good days and bad days. How exactly do we define what is severe enough, and what is not? How can we define what a crushing depression feels like in one person to the next and determine who's more stable and fit to have an animal? It goes up and down and all around.

Just my thoughts.

Inger

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Back to the original question: how has owning a parrot affected your illness/disorder?

I have lived with anxiety (mild to moderate) for a very long time (probably my whole life I realize now), and it's pretty well controlled with medication. I have also had depression on and off for about 25 years. When I stopped taking birth control, the depression went away (darned hormonal birth control!!).

Then, after living with my boyfriend for 15 years, we decide to separate households but not lives. I moved into a tiny little apartment and discovered that I love living alone. We share custody of the Chihuahuas (was two at the time; we've since lost one to heart disease). Everything in my life had changed and, although it was mostly for the best, there were a lot of feelings of rejection and failure that went with it. Throw in a lot of changes at work and work stress, and it was the perfect storm. I still went to work every day, but beyond that, I wasn't really managing very well. I slipped into a depression and while I knew it was happening on some level, on another I had no idea so I didn't do anything about it. Tiny dogs are perfectly happy to cuddle in bed all day long, so my weekends often meant getting up only to feed and walk them or me.

I also realized that for the first time in my life, I didn't have an animal in my home 24/7, and that was intolerable, so I started thinking about what kind of animal would suit my new lifestyle. I settled on a bird, and got little Bumble. Suddenly I had to get out of bed on weekends to take care of her and play with her. Training her was so fun and rewarding - my brain needed that little bump of reward chemicals so badly. And as she and I become more bonded, I look forward to coming home in the evening and hanging out with her. She is a way better family member than I ever expected and I'm so blessed.

She wasn't enough - when I felt my anxiety rising again, I went to my doc who recognized that my current problem was actually the depression. New meds, life is back to normal, but I absolutely rely on Bumble (and my part-time dog) for that "hit of happiness" and also that wonderful feeling of calm I can only get from them.

The flip side is that my anxiety likes to point out every horrible thing that could happen to my loved ones - mostly my furry/feathered family and (weirdly) my brother - so that can be a challenge. Remember when I took Bumble to Virginia for Christmas? The main reason was that it was causing me horrible anxiety to think of NOT being with her - because she would have plucked herself bare and then died, according to my broken brain.

TL;DR: Mostly my bird (and dog) are really, really, helpful for my anxiety and depression, but sometimes my brain is a jerk.

reeb

Oct 23, 2017
Media
Albums
Cape Town, South Africa
Parrots
Sometimes it's difficult to function, and that's what friends and family are for - I know I will always be able to rely on my family and friends to care for my birds in the event that I am struggling to function.

So to me, even if your symptoms are severe, you can still have pets, you can even have children. You just have to surround yourself with a support structure. ]

You speak of family and friends, which is nice for people who have that in their life, but not everyone has a supportive, tight knit family or good, reliable social circle. Many families of mentally ill people (some of the family members showing symptoms of mental illness themselves) do not believe mental illness exists, much less be supportive of a parent, spouse/partner, child or relative with one. A lot of mentally ill people have absolutely no one, some may not even have a stable place to live. If they have severe mental illness, especially the kinds where they are not fully engaged with reality (such as unmanaged schizophrenia, dissociative identity disorder) or those with borderline personality disorder, those who frequently fall into dissociative states or even those who are self-medicating with drugs and/or alcohol, they probably shouldn't be the primary caretake of themselves much less other sentient beings until their illnesses are being managed and/or addictions treated.

You also forget about those individuals with more dangerous forms of mental illness. Have you ever dealt with a true narcissist? They use and abuse with no ability to empathize with those they bring harm to. They don't care what they do so long as it benefits them. It's not me being mean saying these things either, it's actually recognized symptoms of the disorder: https://psychcentral.com/disorders/narcissistic-personality-disorder/. What about someone with true antisocial personality disorder, some of whom can be violent and also do not possess the ability to empathize? Should people with those issues really own an animal (or have children, for that matter)? They may not be able to help the disorders they have, but due to their illnesses, the harm they can bring to other living beings is too great to justify them being in charge of care of another being.

Also, in the past, my anxiety was much much worse as was my depression. I don't discuss publicly what started it or just how bad it got, but I assure you, I do understand.

As a preface, I would like to state that I am very knowledgeable on this topic. I am not only studying to become a psychologist, but I have an entire blog dedicated to mental disorders and breaking the stigma surrounding them. I would like to mention that I have dissociative episodes, so I actually have personal experience with that.

I have also interacted with many mentally ill people. I dated someone with Borderline Personality Disorder, I have a friend who has severe Schizophrenia, one of my best friends has Bipolar Type 1 and Anorexia. I've also met multiple different people in mental hospitals (where I was admitted), including people with Histrionic Personality Disorder, Narcissistic Personality Disorder, Autism and a few others, as well as people with horrible drug addictions.

I mean hell, I even own a copy of the DSM-V, which I regularly refer to when I write, and I'm not even a psychologist yet. So I know a lot about mental health, not only through my own reading and research but because I have had hands on experience.

As I said, this is literally my life's purpose, I am always trying to help those with mental disorders, educate others and to bring to light many of the stigmas surrounding mental disorders.

My point is that, under the right circumstances (such as my own), it is alright for someone with a mental disorder to have pets as a primary caregiver. If someone doesn't live within this circumstance, or is undiagnosed, or is a danger to others (such as ASPD) - YES, they probably shouldn't have pets. But to broadly say that anyone with a severe mental disorder shouldn't have pets just isn't right - because it is entirely dependent on individual circumstances. I am medicated and stable, but I still have two severe mental disorders that have greatly impaired my life.

I have neither forgotten about or disregarded the circumstances or disorders that you mentioned. I had assumed that your argument was made on the basis that those who have severe enough illnesses (for example, to be hospitalised or unable to function) should just never have any pets. Of course, as I said, people who have no one to support them, or are a danger to living things, probably shouldn't have pets. But that wasn't what I was arguing against initially.

What I was saying is that it is 100% possible for someone with a "severe" mental illness to care for pets, when the right circumstances are in place. You brought up some circumstances were it wouldn't be advisable, such as those with Narcissistic Personality Disorder and Anti-social Personality Disorder, or those who lack any support. I agree with this, but you initially didn't specify which disorders you were referring to, only mentioning "severe" mental disorders. Severity in and of itself does not automatically imply incapability.

In my mind, "severe" symptoms such as dissociative episodes, panic attacks, manic episodes or depressive episodes does not automatically make a person any less able to care for an animal under the right circumstances. Yes, it helps to have support structures and stability - and as someone who has been to hell and back, I feel strong, capable and responsible despite my struggles, and there are so many individuals like me out there. Often mentally ill people feel like they are incapable, and it's a terrible feeling. Hence why I try to uplift and inspire as many people as possible.

I would also briefly like to mention that a majority of mental illnesses do not have any outwardly violent thought patterns or symptoms. The only few are in the personality disorder group, which you mentioned. People with Schizophrenia and Bipolar (for example). aren't inherently violent or irresponsible.

Initially, I felt that it was a generalisation, hence why I made my post to give a counter argument. I do appreciate that you specified further on what you were arguing in terms of specific disorders. My point is that "severity" in and of itself does not automatically mean that someone shouldn't have pets - It depends on diagnosis, treatment, support structures - it is multifactorial.

This is the gist of my argument:

1) Severity does not make someone incapable;

2) Severity does not imply "violent"

3) Severity doe not imply "irresponsible"

4) Broad statements shouldn't be made. Rather specify first so as to avoid confusion or misunderstanding.

Anyway, this discussion is making me a bit stressed. I hope I haven't offended anyone. Also, sorry if itā€™s a bit repetitive or long, Iā€™ve had a long day so I was just typing like a stream of thought.

Last edited:

OutlawedSpirit

Apr 12, 2016
Northern Illinois, USA
Parrots
Bo - DYH ~ Gus - CAG ~ Twitch - Linnie ~ Apple - Pineapple GCC ~ Goliath - Quaker ~ Squish - Peach face Lovebird
Reeb and April, I agree with both of you. Severity of mental illness and outward support systems both have to work hand in hand in order for an individual to be able to be the primary caretaker of pets, especially ones as demanding and with such specific needs as parrots. Myself, having an anxiety disorder and bipolar 1, do have to have an outside support system in place due to the chance that things could go downhill quickly with my mental health.

There is great stigma still with mental health in the general population, so most people are hesitant to speak openly, but I have no problem. I have never been admitted as an inpatient due to the depressive side of my bipolar disorder, but I have been due to a manic episode. However, I have my wife that obviously is home and able to care for my birds. Right now, we are also staying with my in-laws, and my mother-in-law could take care of the birds in a pinch I needed her to.

I also have the benefit that my best friend is a breeder. She has a key to our house so that if anything were to ever happen, she has access to my birds at all times. I also regularly bring all three of my birds around her so they are comfortable with her if she ever had to take them long term for any reason. That way it would not be as stressful on the birds. I don't ever plan on that being the case, but knowing that the plan is in place offers me peace of mind.

Yes, you could say my illness is severe, but I am realistic about it. I have a very good outside support system that I am willing to use if I need to. My birds are part of my support system.

They keep me focused. They give me a routine, a reason to get up at the same time every morning because sleep regulation is incredibly important when it comes to managing mental illness, they give me a reason to get up at all on the mornings that are really hard to. They also give me the motivation to make sure I stay on top of taking my medication because it keeps me stable enough to ensure they are properly taken care of. Because I have to take care of them, I take much better care of myself.

Everyone has their own opinions on whether it is a good idea for people with mental illness to have pets or not, but I can say without a doubt, my birds have saved my life.

reeb

Oct 23, 2017
Media
Albums
Cape Town, South Africa
Parrots
Reeb and April, I agree with both of you. Severity of mental illness and outward support systems both have to work hand in hand in order for an individual to be able to be the primary caretaker of pets, especially ones as demanding and with such specific needs as parrots. Myself, having an anxiety disorder and bipolar 1, do have to have an outside support system in place due to the chance that things could go downhill quickly with my mental health.

There is great stigma still with mental health in the general population, so most people are hesitant to speak openly, but I have no problem. I have never been admitted as an inpatient due to the depressive side of my bipolar disorder, but I have been due to a manic episode. However, I have my wife that obviously is home and able to care for my birds. Right now, we are also staying with my in-laws, and my mother-in-law could take care of the birds in a pinch I needed her to.

I also have the benefit that my best friend is a breeder. She has a key to our house so that if anything were to ever happen, she has access to my birds at all times. I also regularly bring all three of my birds around her so they are comfortable with her if she ever had to take them long term for any reason. That way it would not be as stressful on the birds. I don't ever plan on that being the case, but knowing that the plan is in place offers me peace of mind.

Yes, you could say my illness is severe, but I am realistic about it. I have a very good outside support system that I am willing to use if I need to. My birds are part of my support system.

They keep me focused. They give me a routine, a reason to get up at the same time every morning because sleep regulation is incredibly important when it comes to managing mental illness, they give me a reason to get up at all on the mornings that are really hard to. They also give me the motivation to make sure I stay on top of taking my medication because it keeps me stable enough to ensure they are properly taken care of. Because I have to take care of them, I take much better care of myself.

Everyone has their own opinions on whether it is a good idea for people with mental illness to have pets or not, but I can say without a doubt, my birds have saved my life.

^^^THIS!!
I relate to this so much! ā¤ļø

I hadnā€™t mentioned the type of bipolar I was diagnosed with yet, but Iā€™m type 2 if anyone is interested.

where you said ā€œbecause I have to take care of them, I take much better care of myselfā€ - that is exactly how I feel about my birds! The whole time I was reading your post it felt like I was reading something written by myself.

Thank you for sharing! Itā€™s so wonderful meeting people who share your experiences.

And thanks to Jackie for starting this thread, I think itā€™s lovely.

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
... where you said ā€œbecause I have to take care of them, I take much better care of myselfā€ - that is exactly how I feel about my birds! The whole time I was reading your post it felt like I was reading something written by myself.

Thank you for sharing! Itā€™s so wonderful meeting people who share your experiences.

And thanks to Jackie for starting this thread, I think itā€™s lovely.

I think this is the heart of it for a lot of us. Yoda is free flighted. He hangs out on his playgym near my desk while I work, unless he wants to cuddle on my shoulder. Anytime he wants to he flies over and sits on my lap or my shoulder. If I leave the room he flies after me and lands on me, refusing to be apart. Every SINGLE time he does this, I feel so special, so loved, so happy. Here is this beautiful, smart, wonderful little bird that WANTS to be with me always. That makes me feel like I must have done something right to earn that, I must be special myself because he doesn't do that for anyone else (except my husband). It makes me feel better about myself, and makes me want to be better for him.

I think all of you can relate to that, right? :)

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Wow, I have no idea on how to respond to this! I have zero issues, the multiple posters through out my house, conferm this!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
ANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNND...

Let us not forget that physical illnesses are greatly remedied by our feathered darlings!
I have a number of challenges that are much relieved and redirected by the Rickeybird's antics.
Oh, REALLY, the alllllliterations!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
In the early 1980s, my mom was choosing a thesis for her Ph.D in clinical psychology and dearly wished to research the many benefits of human/animal interactions. She constructed an outline an had a working relationship with a large animal shelter as a conduit. Sadly, her committee chairman, a certifiable moron nixed the plan, stating "what would that prove, everybody should have a pet?" So, on recommendation of a few other folks, she researched and published something along the lines of "the effects of relaxation on herpes simplex virus. Not exactly her plan! At least others have subsequently taken the lead and the connection is commonplace.

While I grew up in a family of psychologists, and have my own issues for sure, I have tremendous empathy for those living with mental illness.

Carl_Power

Oct 3, 2017
England
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
Awww im sorry about Peaches :( /Hugs.

I have had my share of depression and anxiety over the years on and off due to things happening and the way i view the world. I want everything to be nice and perfect and all people to be the same and i question everything daily, especially why things happen or why someone is bad ect. It really gets me down. I can be put off a person really quickly if they have no good in them and I take things really hard. I always struggled figuring out who i was because of depression and ive had many dark days lasting months at a time feeling less than everybody else and disconnecting myself from the world. Some of you will know what thats like i guess when you just feel that low and curl up in a corner for months. Depression certainly stopped me from reaching my full potential in life. Ive always been either really happy and confident and then the complete opposite and its like a few months on and off at a time. Its not the best feeling when you feel broken or less. You learn to hide it well though dont you. Last January i got severe anxiety for 6 months. I had usually 4 panic attacks daily lasting about an hour each for 4 months. The worst time of my life for sure and id much rarther endure any physical pain than go through that again. It cost me my job at the time but i tried to work through it for 2 months but i just couldnt remain strong. After it went away it was the same routine when you start feeling good again. Rebuild yourself for 9th time. I havent suffered with major depression or Anxiety since i got better this time. I did get Xander shortly after i was better but i dont know if its because of him ive gone so long feeling well but i think it has helped. I like the innocence in him and the gracefulness and he doesnt judge me. I feel mostly like me around him and i dont have to hide from that. When he is his normal self (non hormonal) i feel really at peace around him and calm. I like to lay down sometimes with music on and watch him play or whatever he is doing for an hour or 2. On stressy days it helps me unwind so maybe he is helping me and the responsibilities of being his care giver keep my mind more occupied and i dont have to feel so alone if im having a more anxious or down day because i do have the odd one still but its rare now. I really do feel for those of you that suffer from depression or anxiety, its horrible but you just have to fight and try hard to be happy in yourself as hard as it is. Last time around i just said enough is enough and tried hard to change my thought process and learn about myself and its going ok. I find its the nicer people with big hearts that suffer the most from depression but if your one of those people then feel good about yourself in this world with how some things are and god bless you x

P.s, Ive just read some more of this thread and as bad as i was at times i still would of been able to care for Xander and i pray it never comes back bad but if i got ill again id still put him before myself or my need to disconnect or curl up in a corner but with a different mental illness for e.g black outs or anything like that where i couldnt give him less than 100% then ive already got a fail safe in line and a lovely family member who would take him in. They are often trying to birdnapp him. He is very popular with the females is my little boy. Im not experienced on other mental illnesses much so i cant really say much on this in all honesty. Me being ill in the past certainly made me realise i cant risk getting a bigger Parrot or one that requires more care than a Quaker needs though just incase. I just wish you all the best and hope things get better for those of us that do struggle. Its an interesting topic and i admire everyones bravery for talking about it and sharing their storys x

Last edited:

eagle18

Banned
Banned
Jan 25, 2018
Missouri
Parrots
I have one Umbrella, a Bare Eye, and two budgies.

Unfortunately in this country even those with schizophrenia have a hard time qualifying for a caretaker.

I agree that severe is the key word, but I would rather somebody who is suffering from depression or anxiety and really wants a pet, take in a dog or a cat.

But I understand your point about not being around any animals or babies for that matter.

reeb

Oct 23, 2017
Media
Albums
Cape Town, South Africa
Parrots

Unfortunately in this country even those with schizophrenia have a hard time qualifying for a caretaker.

I agree that severe is the key word, but I would rather somebody who is suffering from depression or anxiety and really wants a pet, take in a dog or a cat.

But I understand your point about not being around any animals or babies for that matter.

People with Schizophrenia may have a hard time being caretakers because they are ostracised by society. I know two wonderful young women with schizophrenia who are independent, capable and strong, and they both have pets and do a really good job of taking care of them. Yes, they are medicated and stable, but having schizophrenia doesn't automatically mean that someone is irresponsible or unable to do things. That is just a stereotype and a misunderstanding.

In western society there is a general trend to diminish and misunderstand the mentally ill, and through that process many people don't feel able to speak up and get the help that they need, or they are straight up rejected by the people around them. Mental disorders like schizophrenia can be treated and people can live stable and full lives on medication and treatment. They are fully capable human beings, capable of love, capable of care, and more than capable to have responsibilities.

I'll say it again, I have a severe mental disorder (Bipolar II) and I take very good care of my parrots and they have really helped me. Just because I have severe symptoms does not mean that I'm irresponsible, dangerous or incapable, and the same goes for people with Schizophrenia and other mental disorders.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, MaximilianĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
...That is just a stereotype and a misunderstanding.

In western society there is a general trend to diminish and misunderstand the mentally ill, and through that process many people don't feel able to speak up and get the help that they need, or they are straight up rejected by the people around them. Mental disorders like schizophrenia can be treated and people can live stable and full lives on medication and treatment. They are fully capable human beings, capable of love, capable of care, and more than capable to have responsibilities.

I'll say it again, I have a severe mental disorder (Bipolar II) and I take very good care of my parrots and they have really helped me. Just because I have severe symptoms does not mean that I'm irresponsible, dangerous or incapable, and the same goes for people with Schizophrenia and other mental disorders.

WHAT REEB SAID!
-we are people
-we are adults
-we are not our illnesses
-we have rights
-we have strategies
-we have treatments
-we have tools.

I know you are not TRYING to be nasty, but it FEELS like you are. You donā€™t know us, you donā€™t know what our strengths or weaknesses are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions