Military or Blue and Gold?

jkirby

Jun 29, 2011
First I want to start off by saying I Know there is already a post on here with this question but almost all of the reply's were directed to age and I am not a youngster so I need honest advice lol.

My wife and I are in our early 30's and our youngest kid is 16 (today as a matter of fact) and we cannot have any more kids (We started early lol). Anyhow I have recently became disabled due to seizures and I am looking into getting a Macaw to keep me company during the day and to stop me from plucking my hair out :).

Anyhow here is the thing. Before becoming disabled I was a professional clown in the Salt Lake Valley and now I only do very few clowning events such as fundraisers, charity events and some local school fundraisers. The reason I share this with you is because I want my bird to be able to go with me and not get stressed out around others to easily (I have done tons of research and find some types like the African Grey stress easier then others).

What I want in a bird:
I want my companion to be playful, clowny, fun, cuddly, cute, family bird, smart, easy to train (I know it needs to be done correctly).
I would like my bird to possibly (If he/she doesn't its not a big deal to me) help me with a performance here or there such as a trick or maybe talking. I think this would help with the bonding process having him/her with me at all my events and it would help socialize him/her even more.

I would appreciate any and all advice including video's, pictures and websites to do even more research. We have made this decision in almost a year of talking and researching as we know its a HUGE Lifelong commitment and we want to make sure we do it right the first time. We have already read Parrots for Dummies, The Parrot and The Parrot Companion.

I am aware of the time, space and money that goes into being lucky enough to have one of these birds own me but I am so willing to do so. It will be a few months before the final decision is made as we are in the process of moving to a home with 5 acres of land and we will be building an outside aviary for him/her to fly.

Thank you in advance for you time!

Lokums

Jun 25, 2011
Colorado Springs, CO
Parrots
B&G, Senegal
Any of the macaw species will fill your want list. I have seen both B&G and Mils be part of a professional act before. People like the B&Gs because they are so colorful, but mils are just as trainable. Mils are a bit more "stiff" in personality than B&Gs, which tend to be more playful, but this is really general trend and you can't really rely on it.

Macaws are good birds because they are lovable, family oriented, and very trainable. Of course they are big, their beaks are big, and their needs are big. A nice thing about macaws is even though they may prefer one person, they generally won't become aggressive to all others, which is what makes them good for family and professional uses.

So to answer your question, either B&G or Mil would be perfect. It comes down your own personal feelings. Now for me I prefer a B&G, but I am biased. :)

Mike

wibitywab

Jun 4, 2011
Southern California
Parrots
"Kiwi" My Hahn's Macaw and R.I.P. Buddy the GCC-2009 - 2011
Ok, a macaw sounds cool, but I would definitely recommend a Caique.......A caique sounds PERFECT for you and your family...they are VERY playful, they aren't great talkers but they are great whistlers!! They are literally called the clowns of the parrot world!!! It seems like you have experience, and a macaw would be perfectly fine for you, But if you want an extremely playful bird, in a smaller package, I would get a caique! The only macaw experience I have is being with them everyday at an exotic bird store, and owning a Hahn's macaw...I am not too educated with the big guys, but there are so many people on this forum who can answer your question! Good luck!

OP
J

jkirby

Jun 29, 2011
Thank you for the quick responses...

I have looked into the Caiques and they are very very cute playful clowny birds for sure. But they are quite small and I kinda want a larger bird. I also heard that they aren't as cuddly (I am not sure on this but that is what I have been told). I did look into an African Grey at one time but quickly changed my mind upon reading more into Parrots as I found out that they are WAY more into becoming one person birds, more aggressive once they hit maturity and are more prone to stress and tend to feather pluck more often. I know that this holds true to any bird but just from reading it says they are more Prone to it then other birds.

LakotaBeauty

Jun 28, 2011
Not all greys stress my little guy is a clown and fantastic... it depends on the individual bird and I feel imho you can find it in any breed.... My Friend has a Severe Macaw who is CLOWNY he is hysterical and has such a vast personality (Just please no posting photos of you in clown makeup I am VERY terrified of clowns!) But if you want the bird to really stand out if you plan to take them, I would think a Blue and Gold... they are bright colored playful and large. and would get you the attention and them as well! I did the same thing I decided I wanted a Macaw but was not set on a color just that I wanted a large one not one of the minis...I wanted the bird to choose me I looked at scarlets catalinas Blue and Golds and finally was picked by Cheveyo who is a Green Wing Good luck with your choice I would say if you are going Macaw go Blue and Gold!!!!

OP
J

jkirby

Jun 29, 2011
Well so far its B&G in the lead lol. As far as the clown pic I haven't posted any except for my little guy Puck (Senegal) I will try to resist posting a pic of me in Clown lol. I'm not a scary clown though I am not a Whiteface (they are the scarier of them all cause the colors tend to stick out more) I am an August but I do not use a base. I have a simple face due to me working with small children which is why I have been chosen to work with the South Salt Lake police department, Make a wish Foundation and Safe Kids lol. But I wont post any :).

LakotaBeauty

Jun 28, 2011
lol I wanted a blue and gold it was what my Grandmother Had but well my Greenwing chose me so be open, oooooh google the hybrid "Flame Macaw" sorry that one is absolutely STUNNING though macaws are stunning in general...I had a bad experiance compliments of clown and clown makeup I was really little but even as an adult it is the white face clowns that scare me (Ronald McDonald TERRIFIES me) but an "Autumn clown"??? Never heard of that!

OP
J

jkirby

Jun 29, 2011
I am pretty open to the macaws in general but I have been more into the Military and the B&G's for some reason. As far as the clowns go it is actually an Auguste sorry spell checker fixed it.. Anyhow it is a clown that "Normally" (which I do) has a white Muzzle (around the mouth) and white around the eyes (which i do as well) Very exaggerated eyes and mouth just meaning larger then normal. And typically an Orangish colored base (which I do not do) and of coarse the Red Nose. I do have red lips and a little blue in my eyes. I am actually a very friendly looking clown most people that are scared of clowns are not afraid of me as I normally get complimented by those people saying "I'm terrified of clowns but your really not that scary" etc.

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
About a year and a half ago, I was blessed with a trip to volunteer at Give Kids the World Village in Florida. It's where the Make a Wish kids stay when they go to Disney. Anyway, there was a man at breakfast with the kids with a blue and gold macaw. He said it had been a rescue, found in a basement of a drug dealer with no food or water. He brings the macaw to Give Kids the World, hospitals, etc to visit people. This bird was awesome! It would lay on its back, and he could then lay it onto the hands of anybody, or onto their head and it would lay still!

Lokums

Jun 25, 2011
Colorado Springs, CO
Parrots
B&G, Senegal
Those professional posing birds are amazing. My wife and I have several pictures of ourselves with them. In Honolulu there are people just walking the street with their macaws, and they will take your picture (with your camera) and put their birds on you. They swing them around, they hang by one claw, hold them like a softball. I didn't see them put the birds on their shoulders, I am guessing that is probably not safe.

I do know they put A LOT of work into those birds to get them that socialized, then keep them that way. And since it is their livelihood I feel confident the birds are well taken care of.

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
It's especially wonderful that the bird had gone from a horrible beginning (locked in a basement) to a life of being loved, and bringing happiness to children. :)

mellykyitus

Oct 22, 2010
Media
south wales UK
Parrots
Angel the blue and gold macaw, mimsy the lesser sulphur too, rocky the galah & willow the blue crowned conure.
b&g macaws are known to be little clowns and have great personalities!

Jubileeray

Jun 29, 2011
Media
United Kingdom
Parrots
1x Harlequin macaw
2x Greenwing macaw
1x Blue and Gold macaw
1x Jubilee macaw
All macaws like humans have their own personality's and moods.
I have never owned a military so cannot comment on that type though they are a Cities listed macaw :green1:
Blue and golds are a good choice very lovably and easy to come by but for intelligence though a bit on the larger size l would choose a Green wing also readily available,l have a Green wing that talks in excess of 30 sentences and knows the meaning of what it mimics ;)
Look for a well socialized bird as they can become attached to one person and can generate in excess of 2000psi with their beaks so not very pleasant if you have one biting at you as it prefers another member of the family :(
Also do not be put of by an older bird they come ready trained but look out for inherited bad habits a young bird can take a long time to train and may not necessarily talk it all depends on the individual macaw.
Good luck and hope you find the ideal family member :D

OP
J

jkirby

Jun 29, 2011
Wow, Not one vote for the Military. Thank you all for your thoughts and input. I appreciate all of the advice and information. :)

OP
J

jkirby

Jun 29, 2011
Question on the Blue and Golds... Are they "Nippy" like I have been told that the Military's are?

Lokums

Jun 25, 2011
Colorado Springs, CO
Parrots
B&G, Senegal
I would call Loki more "beaky" then nippy. Although he hasn't beaked/nipped me in quite some time. With some training and handling you can make that not a problem at all. To clarify being "beaky" is he will use his beak for everything, to get your attention, to get a toy, to climb around, to step up, etc etc, but not leaving a mark. Nippy is he is squeezing enough to leave a mark or draw a small bit of blood. (IMO anyway).

Mike

OP
J

jkirby

Jun 29, 2011
I am so up in arms on what one to get now lol... It sounds like they are so similar except for colors. Correct me if I'm wrong!

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
Okay, here's my usual vote for a red-front macaw. Sounds like an RFM would fit the bill for you. Our Jade is very playful and cuddly. She doesn't talk much, but she has enough personality to get you to forget that. Here's some information about them from the breeder we got her from. I can tell you the RFM Meltdown she decribes here is pretty cool.

Most Reactions

Latest posts