Misinformation about seeds

LoveMyFids

Aug 19, 2023
I can 100% tell you. I had a budgie for 5-6 years named Petals and fed her seeds for 3 or 4 years yes it was stupid, yes, I screwed up blame it on tween stupidity. I can 100% guarantee that contributed to her early death. I'm not saying seeds are bad heck I use them as training treats, they work amazing BUT. In some birds' diets, they do need seeds in their diet not a bunch. But hey if you want comparisons how's this for you? It's the equivalent of a human eating potato chips for breakfast lunch and dinner is it healthy? Certainly not, but is it going to kill you super-fast? No ofc not, is it going to decrease your life span and make u feel super crappy sluggish, and fat? Yeah, probably personally I wouldn't want that happening to my babies they are everything to me it's just weighing the pros and cons, and honestly feeding all seeds has way more cons than pros. But hey I'm just a teenager what do I know right? I'm so sorry for getting so riled up but this is something I'm passionate about after what happened to my baby girl. So, from someone who learned the hard way you're better off doing it right the first time before you have to put yourself through stupid depressing grueling heartache all because you refused to feed your birds anything other than seeds. Because it was so-called "natural".
YES. Let's all be honest though-we have probably ALL done this, especially years ago when there wasn't info. going around about seed diets! We all assumed seed diets were fine, because look at all the seed mixes available that every pet store carries. We all assumed this was what we are supposed to be feeding our birds. I did the same as a teenager when I had a Nanday Conure. Sure, we gave it veggies daily (but not a huge variety honestly) & it's diet was a seed mix that included some pellets in it, but it was predominantly seeds. I knew no better. My parents knew no better. Nobody told me otherwise. Most of us were never informed & just did what we assumed was correct. All the seed mixes back then had sunflower seeds in them too. I don't think they even made a safflower one that I ever saw. So, to shame those that did this is kind of silly IMO. These days, the info. is out there & we know better (if we choose to get educated on it), so that's a good thing. A high carb/high fat diet (predominantly seeds) will raise cholesterol over the years just like in people & cause arterial & heart disease & high blood pressure. It usually doesn't present until they are well into adulthood, as you won't see symptoms. It's a silent killer, just as it is in humans. Once you begin to see symptoms (like being winded on flying/exercise), it is usually progressed. That's why it's so important to get a full blood panel & check up on your bird w/an avian vet. Yes, it is expensive, but if you have a bird that is several yrs. old & you never have-DO IT! Catching it early is key & you can actually lower their cholesterol with an adjusted diet & additional exercise. That worked for one of my birds. His cholesterol is still high, but it's getting closer to borderline high now & has improved quite a bit. His high cholesterol is a result of too many nuts & high carb foods like corn, pasta & potatoes in those heat up mash treats & perhaps a bit too much seed over many years. It didn't present until he was around 14. As birds get older, their metabolisms change just like in people. SOME species seem to not be able to burn off & process things efficiently like they did when they were younger. I am seeing this now with all of my older birds. I am adjusting their diets now & they are doing better & visually feeling better from what I can tell. They are doing better on less seed, less pellets & more veggies.

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
YES. Let's all be honest though-we have probably ALL done this, especially years ago when there wasn't info. going around about seed diets! We all assumed seed diets were fine, because look at all the seed mixes available that every pet store carries. We all assumed this was what we are supposed to be feeding our birds. I did the same as a teenager when I had a Nanday Conure. Sure, we gave it veggies daily (but not a huge variety honestly) & it's diet was a seed mix that included some pellets in it, but it was predominantly seeds. I knew no better. My parents knew no better. Nobody told me otherwise. Most of us were never informed & just did what we assumed was correct. All the seed mixes back then had sunflower seeds in them too. I don't think they even made a safflower one that I ever saw. So, to shame those that did this is kind of silly IMO. These days, the info. is out there & we know better (if we choose to get educated on it), so that's a good thing. A high carb/high fat diet (predominantly seeds) will raise cholesterol over the years just like in people & cause arterial & heart disease & high blood pressure. It usually doesn't present until they are well into adulthood, as you won't see symptoms. It's a silent killer, just as it is in humans. Once you begin to see symptoms (like being winded on flying/exercise), it is usually progressed. That's why it's so important to get a full blood panel & check up on your bird w/an avian vet. Yes, it is expensive, but if you have a bird that is several yrs. old & you never have-DO IT! Catching it early is key & you can actually lower their cholesterol with an adjusted diet & additional exercise. That worked for one of my birds. His cholesterol is still high, but it's getting closer to borderline high now & has improved quite a bit. His high cholesterol is a result of too many nuts & high carb foods like corn, pasta & potatoes in those heat up mash treats & perhaps a bit too much seed over many years. It didn't present until he was around 14. As birds get older, their metabolisms change just like in people. SOME species seem to not be able to burn off & process things efficiently like they did when they were younger. I am seeing this now with all of my older birds. I am adjusting their diets now & they are doing better & visually feeling better from what I can tell. They are doing better on less seed, less pellets & more veggies.
You couldent have said it any better šŸ‘

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
I've put my conure on a diet of unlimited veggies, 1 tsp pellets and 1 tsp of seeds a day, plus some of one of those veggie and rice mixes with egg and herbs and spices once a week and she's been thriving. Before this she was extremely hormonal for three years, and I tried everything but it didn't work. I had to completely cut all seeds from her diet and give her only pellets and chop to calm her down and now I've reintroduced some seeds and she's fine with them now, but I'll never give her more than what she's getting now.

I'd love to time travel ten years into the future to see what people are feeding their birds then. There's not nearly enough research in avian diets at the moment I don't think, especially when compared to the amount of research that cats and dogs have had. But even with all of their research you still get arguments in their diets so maybe more research won't help at all!

OP
Free as a bird

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I'd love to time travel ten years into the future to see what people are feeding their birds then
By then humans will be eating processed foods like pellets in the belief that it is better than organic food as well...
Who knows šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø

Last edited:

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
By then humans will be eating processed foods like pellets in the belief that it is better than organic food as well...
Who knows šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø
I'm about to upset you because I actually drink those huel shakes about twice a day and have done for about five years now! I eat a main meal of organic meat and then as many vegetables as I can fit in along with a smoothie as well each day, and then something smaller with some fruit if I'm hungry. I just don't have the money and time to be able to cook all of my meals from scratch as I work a full time job, a part time job and then look after my birds on top of that, and I don't live with my boyfriend so I have to make time for him, and I'm close with my family so I have to make time to see them and do things with them too, and I have to make sure I eat well as I have celiac disease and even on a gluten free diet I have ongoing problems with anaemia and other vitamin deficiencies. Having the huel shakes means I don't have to take loads of extra supplements daily, or go crazy trying to cook three meals from scratch. I also have a slight eating disorder (because food made me sick for so long, literally everything I ate made my stomach and throat ache from the gluten), and sometimes I can't force myself to eat so those shakes are very handy.

Ideally I would love to eat a fully organic and made from scratch diet, and I have tried it many times over the years, but I just can't keep it up unfortunately, and even when I had the time it wasn't working that well and I still had to take loads of supplements to feel okay and be able to do things.

LoveMyFids

Aug 19, 2023
I've put my conure on a diet of unlimited veggies, 1 tsp pellets and 1 tsp of seeds a day, plus some of one of those veggie and rice mixes with egg and herbs and spices once a week and she's been thriving. Before this she was extremely hormonal for three years, and I tried everything but it didn't work. I had to completely cut all seeds from her diet and give her only pellets and chop to calm her down and now I've reintroduced some seeds and she's fine with them now, but I'll never give her more than what she's getting now.

I'd love to time travel ten years into the future to see what people are feeding their birds then. There's not nearly enough research in avian diets at the moment I don't think, especially when compared to the amount of research that cats and dogs have had. But even with all of their research you still get arguments in their diets so maybe more research won't help at all!
Yes, now that my birds are older (18 & 15) I have done the same. Twice as much veggies & greens, & only 1 tsp. seed & a couple tsp. of pellets. I only give them the pellets in the evening, so by late morning they are gone. Then it's just veggies during the day, so they eat most of that. I have definitely seen improvement in them both when it comes to hormones & overall behavior.

TulsiBlueVana

Oct 17, 2023
Media
Parrots
Tusli= Black-Capped Conure x1
5) The vast majority of pellet diets consist largely of corn and soy and have sugar and artificial flavors and colors. These are not a natural part of the diet for most of our pet birdsā€™ wild counterparts. Interestingly, the highest quality pellets like Tops and Harrisonā€™s actually contain large amounts of ground seeds, including the often vilified millet and sunflower seeds.
Everything you wrote is spot on but I found #5 epic foods in a way because (as a new black-capped conner owner) I keep reading "do, don't" when it comes to foods. And millet and sunflower seeds are the most often (and soy) vilified, but like you said, the top pellet companies recommended everywhere literally have them as their first few ingredients.

LoveMyFids

Aug 19, 2023
Everything you wrote is spot on but I found #5 epic foods in a way because (as a new black-capped conner owner) I keep reading "do, don't" when it comes to foods. And millet and sunflower seeds are the most often (and soy) vilified, but like you said, the top pellet companies recommended everywhere literally have them as their first few ingredients.
Yes, & I really wish more companies would create a better pellet! I assume this is because corn & soy are cheaper filler ingredients, but it's not something to feed a bird daily for the rest of their lives IMO, nor would it be for any animal or human.

OP
Free as a bird

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I've read the arguments and threads of people trying to starve and force feed their birds pellets and I've come to this conclusion regarding granivore parrots.

Forcing them to eat pellets and withholding grain from them is barbaric. It is an inhumane act of cruelty of the highest order, people who practice this dont deserve the joy of owning a parrot.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I provide a variety diet for all of my parrots. I feed my parrots their least favorite things first thing in the morning. Itā€™s when they are most hungry, and are more willing to eat these things (veggies & fruits). They get seeds & nuts as treats (primarily when they are out of their cages, or for training). They get pellets whenever they want. They get nutri-berries with their pellets. I only give these once a day. At the end of the day my parrots will eat what they feel is edible. If they arenā€™t going to eat something I really cannot make them. I will say for a seed/nut diet my Ekkie cannot open a lot of seeds, and nuts. The shells are too hard for him to open. He couldnā€™t get an almond shell open if his life depended on it. Itā€™s one of his favorite treats. I donā€™t think his beak, or bite strength is like my conures. My assumption is that he wasnā€™t built to open these seeds/nuts. I think a lot of these diets would depend on the specific parrot, and their species. My conures beaks can go through everything! They think they are macaws.

LoveMyFids

Aug 19, 2023
I've read the arguments and threads of people trying to starve and force feed their birds pellets and I've come to this conclusion regarding granivore parrots.

Forcing them to eat pellets and withholding grain from them is barbaric. It is an inhumane act of cruelty of the highest order, people who practice this dont deserve the joy of owning a parrot.
Not sure why you would post such a ridiculous & immature comment as this. I have seen no evidence of anyone on here attempting to starve, let alone force feed their birds! Given the fact that birds can easily regurgitate, how would a person go about force feeding a pellet? By grounding them up into dust & making a slurry & using a gavage needle? Give me a break! If you have accusations against people, WHERE ARE THE RECEIPTS? WHO is doing this? Where is the evidence? NAME THE PEOPLE & SHOW THE EVIDENCE THEN, instead of making blind, blanket accusations such as this. Do you have cameras on these people in their homes monitoring how people are feeding their birds? Your accusations are judgmental & absurd & really go against the whole mentality & purpose of what a help group forum is supposed to be. IMO you should be banned from the group for trying to imply people are being abusive to their birds. Totally out of line & disgusting! Shame on you!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Obviously this is a highly emotive subject for all involved, so the Mod team would like to remind all respondents to please abide by community guidelines, conduct themselves in a respectful manner and not descend into personal insult, always remembering that the welfare of the birds in our care lies at the heart of everything we do here.

Thanking everyone for their understanding!

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Absolutely agree with LaManuka above. People come to our forum for many reasons, but most commonly to ask questions and learn without fear of of being ripped apart, when they're trying to do better for their birds. If they get attacked, they won't come back, and that bird is the one who suffers for it. If people want to be rude or disrespectful, there's other forums or FB groups where that behavior goes unchecked. We ask everyone, please, not here. We're all better than that, and our birds deserve our very best.

LoveMyFids

Aug 19, 2023
Obviously this is a highly emotive subject for all involved, so the Mod team would like to remind all respondents to please abide by community guidelines, conduct themselves in a respectful manner and not descend into personal insult, always remembering that the welfare of the birds in our care lies at the heart of everything we do here.

Thanking everyone for their understanding!
I fully agree & since this isn't the first post I've seen in the short time I've been here, I've decided to no longer look at this page anymore. Too much toxicity on here & I have to admit some posts are very upsetting. Especially the ones where people have very sick birds, but aren't taking them to vets & instead expect to treat them at home. As an animal hospital worker, I find it really disturbing. I'd really like to delete my acct. here, but it appears there is no way to do that, which doesn't make sense. People should have the right to do that if they want to.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I fully agree & since this isn't the first post I've seen in the short time I've been here, I've decided to no longer look at this page anymore. Too much toxicity on here & I have to admit some posts are very upsetting. Especially the ones where people have very sick birds, but aren't taking them to vets & instead expect to treat them at home. As an animal hospital worker, I find it really disturbing. I'd really like to delete my acct. here, but it appears there is no way to do that, which doesn't make sense. People should have the right to do that if they want to.
I'm very sorry you feel this way, @LoveMyFids. I will send you a PM shortly so we can discuss this matter privately :)

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
While I do agree with you. There are people on here looking for advice on parrots that definitely do need medical attention. I too have a substantial amount of experience with parrots. My Ekkie really changed everything for me because he definitely doesnā€™t fit the a typical standards. Try your best to think of helping the parrots not the owners. Advocate for the parrots!

People have all different financial situations, and some people canā€™t take their parrots to a vet. There are people in countries that appear to not have vets. Circumstances are all different.

Iā€™ve been here with you though. There really are great people on here though that mean well. Even if I disagree with someone if I go back, and read what they had posted they meant well, and they truly want to help.

Sometimes I let my stubbornness get the best of me. Especially when it comes to feather pluckers, and Ekkieā€™s. Their situations hit home for me. When people ask me whatā€™s wrong with my parrot because he feather plucks itā€™s hard for me to not ask someone whatā€™s wrong with their face šŸ˜‚ however I know they are coming from a good place. They just donā€™t understand. I do my best to explain.

I hope nothing in here is offensive! Just always think about a parrot you may be helping.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
been away for awhile, nice to be back, but the seed issue... might as well talk about clipping wings and free range vs cages. :p

LoveMyFids

Aug 19, 2023
While I do agree with you. There are people on here looking for advice on parrots that definitely do need medical attention. I too have a substantial amount of experience with parrots. My Ekkie really changed everything for me because he definitely doesnā€™t fit the a typical standards. Try your best to think of helping the parrots not the owners. Advocate for the parrots!

People have all different financial situations, and some people canā€™t take their parrots to a vet. There are people in countries that appear to not have vets. Circumstances are all different.

Iā€™ve been here with you though. There really are great people on here though that mean well. Even if I disagree with someone if I go back, and read what they had posted they meant well, and they truly want to help.

Sometimes I let my stubbornness get the best of me. Especially when it comes to feather pluckers, and Ekkieā€™s. Their situations hit home for me. When people ask me whatā€™s wrong with my parrot because he feather plucks itā€™s hard for me to not ask someone whatā€™s wrong with their face šŸ˜‚ however I know they are coming from a good place. They just donā€™t understand. I do my best to explain.

I hope nothing in here is offensive! Just always think about a parrot you may be helping.
I see nothing offensive at all in what you wrote. I totally agree & Ekkies, along w/other birds all have different dietary needs & such-mainly because of what area they originate from that dictates (even when hatched in captivity somewhere else) still is a part of their natural biology. Just like how Australian predominantly seed & grass eating/ground foraging parrots like Regents, etc. won't necessarily thrive with too many big nuts & such & feeding them the same kind of diet as a macaw for example will cause them issues later-usually after several yrs. I saw that happen myself & think it's more common than people realize. I think some bird owners (esp. multiple bird homes) can sometimes tend to feed everyone the same stuff because let's face it-it's easy. It can def. backfire though yrs. later & leave people scratching their heads on why the sudden the bird is plucking, or has polyuria, etc. There's SOOOO MUCH to know. One could just devote their lives researching bird species & their specific needs. I literally never stop learning & am constantly surprised. I think birds are similar to reptiles or other "exotic" pets like sugargliders & stuff, where people get them impulsively without proper research of how to really care for them & to make sure you have a vet nearby that can see them before purchasing. I mean, look at all the bunnies bought for kids at Easter time that end up at rescues or the street every year! I personally, have a hard time giving a pass to people who impulse buy without understanding what is involved. The mortality rates of reptiles for example are ridiculous. I agree w/you that most on here are coming from a good place & honestly just looking for much needed advice. It's when people attack others & have the nerve to accuse someone that they are abusing & starving their birds, then I have to speak out. That is so rude, wrong & uncalled for. I just don't understand that sort of mentality pointed towards complete strangers. How would anyone have proof of that? It's just awful. The behavior is gross. I don't intend to let 1 bad apple ruin the whole bunch though & I absolutely encourage people to share their thoughts productively like you are doing here.

Most Reactions

Latest posts