Mismatched personalities

khaiqha

Sep 19, 2012
Lewisville, TX
Parrots
Alexandrine Ringneck,
about to be getting a Jardine's
It's coming close to it being one year since I got my alex, and while I like him I think I got the wrong species for me. He's quiet, calm, sweet, low maintenance, and silly. I know this is exactly what many people want from their birds, but I can't help from constantly comparing him to an IRN that I lost.

Bro is my alex, Ace was my IRN. Ace was smart, assertive, demanding, and aggressive. She liked humans enough, but hated other animals. She could figure out any puzzle, learn any trick in minutes, knew how to open locks and tupperware and latches. I miss her personality, and when she died I got an alex thinking it was the closet thing I could get to her.

Bro is slow to learning. He gives up when get can't get something. His favorite past time is to stare out the window or a mirror. If I'm gaming instead of fighting for my attention he just nests on my foot. I'm trying to appreciate him for the qualities he has, but I just find myself wanting more.

Case in point, there are IRNs at the store. One is pretty aggressive, and desperately wanted out of its cage. It would run through the other birds and headbutt the cage, straining its neck to get a better look at me. I was so tempted to get it, but I don't really want another IRN. I would like to get a second bird at some point in my life though.

I'd want something that won't bully Bro, which might be hard to find. I mean, Bro is terrified of my friend's cockatiel, and all it does is fly up to him and sing.
I was thinking mini-macaws, as they're close to the same size as Bro but have more outgoing personalities.

I'm not going to give up on Bro, because I feel pets aren't collectibles that should be traded around. In the end though, I don't even know if I should get a second bird. If I can't be happy with one, I'm not sure that I'd be happy with another. I might end up being upset with the second bird and wish it was as easy to take care of as Bro is.

Anyway, I've ranted long enough. Just wanted to share something that's been on my mind.

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
Sugar the Blue Crown Conure♂, Merlin the Camelot Macaw♂
I know how you feel thats how it was for me when I got my Blue Crown after I had to get rid of my Sun Conure they were totally different! I love my Blue Crown very much but it wasnt the same I was in love already though so I wasnt gonna give him up so I got a Lovebird who is a lot like my Sun was and that was perfect cause I still got my snuggly BC and also got playful very demanding Lovebird which I was missing :p Whatever bird you go with I say make sure you spend some time with it so you know its the one you want.

coral3

Aug 4, 2012
Australia
Parrots
'Ringo' - alexandrine, hatched 2012 ~ 'Prinny' - princess parrot, 1992-2012 RIP
Given that you loved your IRN so much I wonder why you don't want another IRN? Is there a particular reason? ANY second bird you get would have to be kept separate from your alex, until they learned to like each other - IF they ever liked each other. I do agree with you - pets shouldn't be traded around like used cars.

Last edited:

MrSquak

Feb 14, 2012
GuangZhou China - Hong Kong
Parrots
Tango: Alexandrine
Talon: congo african grey
That's pretty unusual for an alex parrot. They are usually extremely active attention hounds. I can't turn my back on Tango for two seconds before he's into something; and god help anyone in my house who tries to eat a potato chip or drink a soda.

I have mixed feelings about rehoming, but i'd think a calm, docile alex parrot might be the perfect pet for someone else. I dunno, if you have a friend over and they seem to take really well to each other maybe its something that should be considered.

I met an Illiger's mini macaw at a pet store once and he was definitely really cool. Definitely wanted to be part of the action!

Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
sounds like a mini macaw would be right up your ally.
smart, vocal, nippy, quick trick learners, and silly.

As mentioned, with any bird you buy, expect your alex and the new bird to hate each other. They may get along, but always expect the worst.

MrSquak

Feb 14, 2012
GuangZhou China - Hong Kong
Parrots
Tango: Alexandrine
Talon: congo african grey
Here's the mini-macaw I saw. He was really cool. We went to the shop to buy an african grey but this guy really made us think twice. We could tell this guy really wanted to be the center of attention!

Attachments

• minimacaw.jpg
    minimacaw.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 149
OP
K

khaiqha

Sep 19, 2012
Lewisville, TX
Parrots
Alexandrine Ringneck,
about to be getting a Jardine's
I couldn't get a second IRN because I would just constantly think about my first one. I think that's where the mistake I made was in getting Bro, no bird, not even another IRN, would be the same as Ace. I should of gone in with the mindset of getting a new bird and enjoying everything about the new bird.

I'm gonna hold off on a second bird for quite awhile, mostly because of financial reasons. I do appreciate Bro all the more each time I visit my friend's birds though, which are a sun conure and a cockatiel. Sure the conure is way more cuddly and the cockatiel is an amazing mimic, but they make soooo much noise. Bro actually gets upset at the amount of noise they make lol.

coral3

Aug 4, 2012
Australia
Parrots
'Ringo' - alexandrine, hatched 2012 ~ 'Prinny' - princess parrot, 1992-2012 RIP
I can't turn my back on Tango for two seconds before he's into something; and god help anyone in my house who tries to eat a potato chip or drink a soda.

:D I'm hearing you! Can't sit down to eat anything in our house, without our alex, Ringo, coming after you. lol Even if you hide out of his sight, somehow he just KNOWS if you have food...

Marlin

Sep 21, 2013
Canton Beach Central Coast NSW Australia
Parrots
I have a 9 Month old IRN parakeet and will be getting a Alexandrine Parakeet at the end of November 2013
remember every bird is different. but there could be some factors that are affecting the bird and you just need to identified them and that could bring about changes or it could that the bird is just young and needs a bit more time.

Most Reactions