Missing bird

NYparrot

Jan 2, 2010
Well guys, I don't even know where to begin... I really don't know where this thread belongs but that's the least of my concerns right now.

Today my bird had escaped from the house and out the door because he tried to land on my brother, who was leaving.The thing I'm most worried about is that I live in upstate NY and it is Winter and very cold up here. My bird has never been outside before and when he got out the door he was very frightened and I tried to grab him but he got away and he was too scared to know what to do. Once he got up into the air and was above the house level I lost sight of him because it's night time and it was too dark too see. I figured that it being night time that he would try to land somewhere close but I'm worried that he got caught up in the wind(It's very windy today) and couldn't get anywhere safe to land. I looked everywhere, the sides of houses, bushes and I just don't know what to do any longer

I'm very upset as I'm sure you guys can imagine because I'm scared for my bird. I hate trying to imagine what he's going through right now. If it was summer and daytime I'd have strong hopes of someone finding him,but it being night time and very cold out I just don't know what too do. I want to continue looking despite being practically frost bit at this point but another part of me is saying that it's just going to be a waste of time and I should just pray and hope someone, somewhere will find him to keep him warm.

I know you guys can't help much, but does anyone have any suggestions or advice?
My bird is a little senegal by the way.

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
Fill out a notice here: 911 Parrot Alert- Lost & Found Parrot & Bird database, Report a Lost Bird or Found Bird it involves going through a few links, and getting a (free) yahoo account if you don't have one. But it's the best one-stop shop for lost parrots.

Of course put up fliers and the like, call the local vets and pet shops in the morning as if he is found whoever finds him will probably call or go there.

It's a bad time of year to be out at night, but birds are smart, and in a populated area there are plenty of opportunities for a bird to get out of the elements and stay warm. Good luck.

OP
N

NYparrot

Jan 2, 2010
Thanks a lot for the advice. I'm going to do another search outside and then do some flyers. I will update if I find him

Again, thanks for the link and advice I'm really just trying to keep my hopes up at the moment. I've heard some crazy stories about parrots and about some owners who were lucky enough to be reunited with their friend, I'm really praying that I can have a good happy story to tell at the end of all this

Riley's mom

Banned
Banned
Dec 17, 2009
Holiday, Florida
Parrots
Military's, African Greys, Blue and Gold, Goffin, conures, quaker, lovebird, senegal parrot
Good Luck and praying for you and that the bird will find his way home safely.:green1:

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Praying for a safe return !!!!
AD has given great advise.
You mentioned the bird is young, how young?
This is a long shot I would certainly try it.
Place the cage outside, during the day, whistle and call him.
He might recognize the cage, your voice or your whistle.
Please keep us updated
Praying for a happy ending.
Take care
:green1:

Last edited:

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
We are all hope for the return. Were the wings clipped? I have heard of birds with wings clipped flying away too. Keep in touch.

OP
N

NYparrot

Jan 2, 2010
Still no luck.

To Antoinette, thanks for the advice. I put the cage out and tried calling for him. He's 3 so he isn't that young and to SpiritBird, his feathers weren't clipped so he could fly but he's never been outside before because I never wanted to take the chance of him flying away. The thing I'm most worried about is the freezing temperatures and the winds were so strong today and especially last night when he escaped. I tried looking all around the area in the trees and in the woods. I was hoping to find him close by because it was so dark and the trees are pretty thick so I thought maybe he hit into one and fell down on to the ground but I could not find him.

The wind is really bothering me as well because even if he tried to comeback towards my house, the wind would be blowing against him and he's not experienced enough to get through it. When I last saw him last night when he escaped I had him sighted for a little while when he was above my house right below the tree line and I could tell he was trying to fly to the direction of my house but he was going against the wind which was too strong for him and as he got pushed further back I lost sight of him.
I'm thinking the wind swooped him up above the trees and just carried him away somewhere. I just hope he found shelter and maybe someone found him and took him into their house.

Again thanks to everyone for the help and advice, it's keeping my hopes up for him

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old

A PRAYER FROM BIRDIE

MY LORD GOD,

I have no idea where I am going. I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end. Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think that I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so. But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you. And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing. I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire. And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road though I may know nothing about it. Therefore will I trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death. I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.

Last edited:
OP
N

NYparrot

Jan 2, 2010
Did another search but still nothing. It's so weird because it's so quiet outside and I don't even here the local birds. I've been calling for him and there is nothing but I can't give up. Yesterday I put up flyers in the supermarket, gas stations, local pharmacy and handed them directly to the people that live near me so, people are informed and on the look out. He really shouldn't be hard to spot due to his vibrant colors I just hope the weather hasn't taken its toll on him. I still strongly believe he is out there though just waiting for someone to pick him up.

OP
N

NYparrot

Jan 2, 2010
Well I guess I got a little bit of good news. Now I still don't have my bird but my cousin, just tonight, while driving through the development over from me saw a bird on the side of the road on a snow bank and he's almost certain that the bird was green but, before he could get out to catch it the bird flew off back behind a house and out of sight again. So I'm almost perfectly sure that not only is my bird still doing well but that he is really close to my house, since what are the chances that a local wild bird would be sitting there on a snow bank at night. Now this however brings up other worries such as predators. If he's just staying out in the open somewhere then that really isn't good. So I hope for his return soon since I could not locate him after I searched that area but if he made it through those last two nights, which must have been the coldest/windiest days in the last year then I think he will be fine since, while it's still cold it is much warmer then the other nights. I just want him to stay off the ground and away from the road

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
That is some good news. They aren't (quite) as fragile as we sometimes think. Definitely leave out plenty of his food, perhaps even in that area where he was spotted - he's likely quite hungry, and needs energy to stay warm.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I have heard of setting out a trap for a bird with food inside. Kinda like the ones for dogs and cats. Has anyone else heard of this? We will not give up hope for a return to home.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Hi SB
The only "trap" I know of here in South Africa, is placing the cage outside, with food in and around it.
NYparrot has tried that.
I agree with AD place food near where he was spotted.
At the same spot, whistle and talk, you never know.
Keeping our thumbs crossed and praying.
Good luck
Take care

OP
N

NYparrot

Jan 2, 2010
Hi there
Any new on your Senegal yet?
You are always in our thoughts and prayers
Take care:green1:

Unfortunately no, nothing yet. I'm still searching everyday though. And also more people seem to be involved and really being helpful. I mean a lot of these people I don't even really know and their willing to take a few minutes out of their day to search their yards and trees.

I really appreciate you and everyone else(both my neighbors and people on these forums) who have taken concern to my bird, Thanks

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Your most welcome,
Just wish there was something more we could do.
Amazing how wonderful and helpful people can be when in the time of need.
Always praying and hoping for a safe return. :green1:
God bless

Most Reactions