Mistreated bird

eliholtman

Sep 13, 2017
Cincinnati
Parrots
Kiwi the 'keet
Yako the 'keet
So today me and my family went to the pumpkin patch and at the entrance they had like a little shop or whatever and my family was calling me over to a bird Bc they of course know I'm obsessed with them and when I went over to this I was heart broken this bird had 1 toy that he couldn't do anything with and 1 perch and he had no water in his bowl. I believe he is a yellow naped amazon. This was at a farm so what boggles me is that they don't know how to take proper care of this bird in surprised that it hasn't started plucking from what I saw.
5f1c036dee08c8d2e4d5097ef9293a12.jpg
f7194ca8dab0b7b8a645946fc5e79635.jpg
6956c09050debbd29480a68f18ecffe7.jpg

You can see in the pictures that it's probably been a while since they've cleaned it and it's really a beautiful bird I wonder how long they've had it Bc I couldn't imagine it living a long time there which is really sad to think about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
you'll probably find the other animals are mistreated too.

I would be inclined to ask your local authorities to inspect the place. Maybe go back and get some more pictures to give to the authorities

OP
eliholtman

eliholtman

Sep 13, 2017
Cincinnati
Parrots
Kiwi the 'keet
Yako the 'keet

I would be inclined to ask your local authorities to inspect the place. Maybe go back and get some more pictures to give to the authorities

That's a good idea thank you but the thing was that there was police there the entire time to act as "security" I'm guessing. So they probably saw all the animals including the bird which they probably think is just fine because he was alive I'm not sure they understand

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots

That's a good idea thank you but the thing was that there was police there the entire time to act as "security" I'm guessing. So they probably saw all the animals including the bird which they probably think is just fine because he was alive I'm not sure they understand

If there's an animal welfare group like the UK's RSPCA they normally take over from the police when it comes to animals. How this place managed to get police there is beyond me. Doesn't sound right at all unless it's government run. I'd be worried those are closer to private security who can often look a lot like police officers

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
The only thing I wonder, devils advocate, is if it's just a day cage and the commute the bird with them so he's always around and as an attraction.

STILL I WOULD EXPECT MUCH BETTER CONDITIONS AND TOYS!

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
being that there wasn't even water I would say that's his normal cage with neglectful owners

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I certainly agree neglectful, but how would he be alive without water? Has to have another cage, maybe just not right by the entrance.

If I showed up I'd be like WTF? to the owner...

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
On a farm you say? Doesn't shock me a bit. Most farms these days have 0 respect for life, just a healthy respect for profit$$$. That bird is lucky it hatched a parrot rather than a chicken or it would be living in far more dismal conditions. And the local authorities won't help. They turn the blind eye to animal abuse on an industrial scale at farms, why would they care about one bird? Within the scope of the law, looking at that picture, that bird isn't even being mistreated, technically.

If I were you, I might write a friendly-toned note about how you saw their beautiful yellow nape amazon while visiting the pumpkin patch and were really taken with his beauty and how funny he was etc... and that you're including this toy as a gift for him because you thought he would appreciate having something to keep him busy when things slowed down after pumpkin picking season. Something along those lines. Keep it friendly and like you just really liked him and wanted to do something nice for him because you were so amused by him. People do not respond to threats or accusations about their poor care of animals, regardless of how true it may be. But by including a toy and a nice note with a positive overtone, he will get a new toy and it may make them think about how they've been treating him and how much paying cu$tomer$$$$ like him (i.e. if they take care of him better, customers who spend $$$ with them will be happier). The point is to help the animal in whatever way you can, no matter how small, and maybe even get the abuser to think about their actions, NOT to rile up the abuser so they get their back up and feel the need to defend their actions (even if it is just to themselves). As my grandmother always said- you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

Last edited:

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
Actually Kiwi....that is super good advice....you get more with honey......

but if things don't change after that....call in he A-TEAM. or Jack Reacher, or Chuck Norris, or dare I even say it.....PETA. I'd make that bottom of the list though ASPCA is a much more credible organization.

jm0

Aug 6, 2017
Denmark
Parrots
Tux (Blue Throated Parakeet) - 2 year.
Sneak in with a police uniform on, sound the sirenes! *whooop* and yell to the owners:

"Hands up where we can see them! by the laws of parrotforums.com, i demand you to give that amazon some fresh water, fruits, and veggies! You will be required to read the stickies of the amazon forum, and sentenced to do 10,000 hours of hard forum community labour. Disobedience will be punished, and we will use force! Resistance is useless!"

... *biiiip* "Ahem... Also! Is this bird available for rehoming? YUMgrinder asks! He'd love to get ahold of a beautiful amazon. Thank you! Over and out! "

Last edited:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Actually Kiwi....that is super good advice....you get more with honey......

but if things don't change after that....call in he A-TEAM. or Jack Reacher, or Chuck Norris, or dare I even say it.....PETA. I'd make that bottom of the list though ASPCA is a much more credible organization.

Yea. I wouldn't even include PETA on any list of who to call in about an abused animal. They'd probably steal the bird then kill it. They've changed over the years, a lot. A bunch of for-profit hypocrites now who tarnish the ARA community as a whole. But that is not a rant for this forum!

I think the OP should try a nice letter and a toy. I'm sure if it's that kind of farm, they'll have public winter or spring events too, so they can go back and check in to see if conditions have improved and if he's no longer on display, ask about him then. It is very possible the bid has another cage elsewhere with better conditions and he was just out to enjoy all the people. If so, the owners may need to think about their public presentation of their bird and how the public may perceive his care conditions, if he is in fact otherwise well cared for. Also possible he's permanently parked at the entrance as an "attraction" and barely cared for and if that is in fact the case, try a positive engagement of the owners first to get them thinking before reporting bad conditions to an animal welfare group.

Last edited:

YUMgrinder

Mar 20, 2017
Cheyenne, WY
Parrots
-Jazz, Normal Grey Cockatiel /

-Chessie, Pearl Cockatiel /

-Perry, Black capped Conure /

-JoJo, Pineapple GCC /

3 little busy Budgies
I will also play devils advocate.

1. parrot is beautiful, looks healthy from the pics, no plucking, etc
2. cage isn't dirty. birds are really messy and It doesn't look like that's it's it's full time cage. If it was neglected the cage would be FILTHY I would think.
3. there's no context, you didn't ask the owners anything? I agree it might be his cage for when they are busy and it allows him to be outside while they work.
4. okay, no water, I agree that's a bad sign, BUT you weren't there all day so you don't know if it was just placed in the cage and they were too busy to fill it's bowl right away. It's not cruel if the parrot was well hydrated and didn't have access to water for a little while. I took my parrot to the vet a couple weeks ago and she went without water for a few hours and the vet saw no issues with her hydration.

beautiful bird, ask them if they would be willing to rehome! I'd love to get ahold of a beautiful amazon.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
very good point Kiwi

at the same time I like jm0's idea but that may be the anti-social side of me speaking!

just keep sending anonymous letters/parcels with hand me down toys and perches and stuff. May not be much but it's more than that bird currently has and he'll be much happier

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
good point yumgrinder. As much as I am judgmental you need to hope that on the other side they are doing and meaning well to this bird. I spoke in another thread about a CAG at the pet store my grandmother went to. His cage there was smaller than the one I have for my conure. It was only there for when the bird wanted to be away from people and to go get food and drink. If the owner had to run out to get some water or go to the toilet they would shut the cage up with him in for a few minutes or if she wanted her lunch on a summer's day he would come out the front with her in the cage. There was clearly no abuse there but without seeing the interaction you would think it was abusive

OP
eliholtman

eliholtman

Sep 13, 2017
Cincinnati
Parrots
Kiwi the 'keet
Yako the 'keet
The only thing I wonder, devils advocate, is if it's just a day cage and the commute the bird with them so he's always around and as an attraction.

STILL I WOULD EXPECT MUCH BETTER CONDITIONS AND TOYS!

That's the only thing I can think I've emailed the place and told them

MangoMuttonChops

Oct 15, 2017
NY
Parrots
Lala is a 4+/- year old Goffin's Cockatoo rescued from the shelter October 13th 2017. Beautiful, spunky and loves love! 💘

I agree with this action

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
I hope the email sent was pleasant, informative and non-accusatory. I don't think theres anything that will come of calling the authorities either. Here's the thing, lets just say you could convince authorities to go out and take a look (doubtful) and this was in fact the birds only cage and toy, all the owners would need to do is put water in the dish and they would now be within acceptable care guidelines as per the law. You've already given them a heads up, I'm sure, through your email that they can expect a visit from authorities giving them plenty of time to clean up and feed/water the bird. The issue is, in the US an animal is considered property, the same as a bike or car and has virtually no rights as a sentient individual under law. A parrot in the US is not required to have a expansive enclosure, pristinely clean conditions, organic diet or toys galore. Nothing about that cage, the overall appearance of the bird or the amount of mess around it is actually illegal and the water thing becomes a he said/she said as it is unclear from the photos if the water dish was in fact empty at the time. The authorities have no reason or ability to act based on the photos you've provided.

I also want to say, I certainly hope I'm never judged by Kiwi's patio cage by someone who doesn't know me or my bird! This thread got me to thinking about that. His patio cage is smaller than the one in your photo, one or 2 toys and one or 2 perches is all that fits and he LOVES being out there *for a few hours at a time*. Indoors, he's free roaming all day (never caged), has a macaw-sized cage (which he does spend time in, of his own choosing), play stand, swing, boing hanging from the ceiling and a never ending supply of toys. Am I an animal abuser for not being able to fit a second macaw sized cage brimming with perches and toys on my tiny 3rd story patio so he can get some fresh air and sunshine in the summer?

In my many, many years as an ARA, I have become more distance from the "community" in recent years for this very reason. I've learned that an unchecked emotional response to a situation of an animal who appears to be in need often causes more harm than good. Logical, measured responses and positive engagement as a first line of action, always!

Last edited:

Carl_Power

Oct 3, 2017
England
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
That's awful how he's stuck in that tiny cage with a useless toy and no water, breaks my heart. How can people sleep at night and not even care about an animal. Id ring someone for sure who deals with cruelty to animals :(

Most Reactions