Molting & Aggression

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
Would molting cause aggression? Merlin is going through his molt and noticed a little more aggression than normal. I remember a friend saying that is does. Just wanted some other opinions.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Yes it can, makes them more irritable then usual. Plus petting them can irritate them to cause it might be uncomfortable for them to be petted under that condition. I know bathing helps though!

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I don't know if aggressive is the right term, maybe more irritable, is a better choice of words. You're more likely to get a nip if you don't do it right or hit one that's not "ripe" yet. I know i'd be irritable with those things popping though my skin.

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
Yep I definitely conure. Kiwi has been a lil monster. She is very irritable. I will be glad when her molt is over. :)

OP
M

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
Oh good. I am finding feathers at the bottom of the cage and Merlin is just not a happy camper lately. The way he has been acting is the same as when he is going through a hormonal stage. I don't see a lot of pin feathers though.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
A lot of pins are the downy feathers that you can't see. They're small and you really have to dig to feel them. They get lost under the larger contour feathers. Most of my pet zons here in Fla are covered with pins now.

OP
M

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
You must be right because I am finding a lot of down feathers too.

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
Oh good. I am finding feathers at the bottom of the cage and Merlin is just not a happy camper lately. The way he has been acting is the same as when he is going through a hormonal stage. I don't see a lot of pin feathers though.

Kiwi is covers in pins right now too. Don't worry to much it will pass.

Most Reactions