Mr. Pickles Diet - Am I doing this right?

PicklesParrot

Feb 25, 2013
Florida
Parrots
Male SI Eclectus
I've now had Mr. Pickles for a little over a week. He is 1 year old Eclectus male. I just want to make sure that I'm feeding him the right things because I want to avoid any health issues. Im honestly surprised he didnt come to me with issues already because his previous owners fed him some not so great items daily. His previous diet was a bit of fresh fruit in the morning(unspecified - they only mentioned he liked banana). They left this fortified seed product in a dish all day for him to snack on constantly along with as much millet as he wanted. I threw that seed out immediately when I read the ingredients - TERRIBLE! He wouldnt touch any kind of a pellet then or now. At night they gave him a frozen veggie mix(green beans, carrot, peas, corn) and sometimes a whole ear of corn on the cob. They let him eat whatever he wanted from their plates and said he loved french fries and garlic noodles. He even had a half chewed french fry in his dish(the kind with all the seasoning on it) when they brought him over. They had a bunch of kids in the house and after meeting and talking to them I could tell they were the typical budget shopper, meaning a lot of food from boxes or cans. Over the past week I have gradually tried to introduce new fresh items to him. He was stubborn the first few days and wouldnt touch any type of fruit. However, I have finally gotten him on a routine these past few days and he seems to enjoy it and is more talkative and playful. Below I have lined out everything he likes and doesnt like, along with feeding schedule and what he eats now. I just want to know if I should add anything, take away anything, try something new, ect. All comments and suggestions are welcome and happily received.

Pickles Diet:

Pickles will eat these items:

- Will eat plain
* Will eat only if mixed
-* Will eat plain and Mixed

Veggies

-* Zuchini
-* Sweet Potatoe
-* Carrot
-* Broccoli
-* corn on the cob
* Cilantro
* SPincah
* Kale
* Celery
* Cucumber
* Bell Pepper

*- Frozen Veggie mix - Green Beans, Carrots, Peas, Corn

FRUIT

- Banana
*- Pomegranet
*- kiwi
*- apple - yellow
*- pineapple

NUTS, GRAIN, Ect

- Sunflower(use for TRAINING ONLY, NOTHING else)
- Peanut(no shell - treat 2 a day)
- Almond(no shell - treat 1 per day)
- Whole Wheat pasta (no white - 4 pieces a day)
- Brown Rice(no white - mixed in with veggies)
- Steel Cut Oats (organic - mixed in with fruits uncooked)

Pickes does NOT like:

PEar
Berries
Citrus
Mango
Hot Peppers

I generally give him some plain banana peices and a mix of very tiny chopped kiwi, yellow apple,

pineapple, and pomegranet with some uncooked steel cut oats mixed in first thing in the morning.

Also a little bit of sweet potatoe/carrot mash(includes tiny peices of all the other veggies listed

mixed in). Sometimes he doesnt seem to want any fruit, thats why I include the SP/C veggie mash.

In the evening I just serve him his sweet potatoe/carrot mash (with tiny peicesof allthe other

veggies listed mixed in), a little bit of the frozen veggie mix(green beans, carrots, peas, corn)

and either some brown rice or wheat pasta.

During the day he gets about 1 almond total(no shell- cut in slices so he thinks hes getting more),

2 peanuts(no shell), and no more than 20 sunflower seeds(used for training ONLY because he loves

them the most.) Also, in the afternoon I string up about 2 inches of corn on the cob and he goes

nuts on it.

I give him 1 sprig of Millet about an hour before I put him to bed.

*He seems to like this routine as Ive had trouble getting him to try new things since he got used to it.

sodakat

Jul 15, 2009
Sounds pretty good! I'd replace the peanuts with walnut pieces. It's okay to give 2 almonds.

Keep offering the stuff he doesn't like as much. Some day he'll probably eat it. This is assuming you buy it for yourself anyway. I'll be he will like papaya, btw.

Most Reactions