My African grey prefers to be on the ground

tbg299

Feb 24, 2014
Hello I recently adopted an adult male grey who is a ground bird , as he prefers to stroll around my house and go exploring rather than be content to perch up high. I have a metal playstand with toys to transport him around the house with me during the day, but he insists on diving to the ground. He as also dived off the top of his cage several times which resulted in cuts on his keelbone. Fortunately they were minor but I need to prevent him from seriously hurting himself while outside of the cage in the future. My vet agreed that the most logical thing to do is to keep him low to the ground for interacting and playtime. Is this behavior common in greys? This is my first time owning one and I have never had a bird who is like this. I am planning to set up a play gym in the living room where his cage is to put on the ground or on the coffee table which is close to the ground. I also have yoga mats to place around his cage and play area . Any suggestions are appreciated

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I'm not sure about Greys, but some species naturally do go on the ground a lot such as Australian parakeet species and Aussie Cockatoos for example.

Just make sure you (and everyone if you don't live alone) are conscious at all times when the bird is out to make sure not to step on him!

That is the reason I discourage the birds from going on the ground. It's too dangerous, especially when they're not large and flashy like a large macaw.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
:D So does mine. In the wild they are ground feeders. Like pigeons! :D

It's normal to some extent. Mine forages around the macaw cage while Maggie is eating. For some reason stuff tastes better if Maggie drops it.

The odd thing is, so does my lilac crowned amazon. (They are best buds.)

Last edited:

Phlox

Jun 16, 2014
Sounds like he's got a too short clip on his wings if he's hurting himself though. I think you need to let those feathers grow in. He should glide to the floor, not crash.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Sounds like he's got a too short clip on his wings if he's hurting himself though. I think you need to let those feathers grow in. He should glide to the floor, not crash.

Agreed.

Although CAGS are notoriously clumsy...

Mine was flighted, believe it or not, and flew STRAIGHT AND LEVEL into the second story of the building across the street, bounced off it, and crash landed...

It's like TUSK you couldn't see that great big building directly in front of you?!

When he was younger he had constant scrapes around his nose from crash landing into the bushes. It's like he didn't have the confidence that he could actually slow down enough to land, so he panicked at the last second, and then BOOM!

We used to tease him "You oughta see the other bird!" :D

Asur

Aug 12, 2014
Mine are both fully feathered and love walking around on the ground all the time, they just fly down and then spend there time walking around and foraging. They have been doing this for the last 17 years.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Mine are both fully feathered and love walking around on the ground all the time, they just fly down and then spend there time walking around and foraging. They have been doing this for the last 17 years.

Yep. Can't break them of a natural behavior so why try?! Just make it safe for them.

And as I type this, someone just crash landed... gotta go!

Erniebird8

Aug 7, 2014
I own a Congo Grey. In the wild Greys feed and mate in the ground. Maggie my grey, loves to walk around in the house, goes up the stairs and hides under coaches and cabinets specially when is nesting time. You should see him (it's a "he" long story). I just watching making sure he dies not in trouble. :)

erniebird8

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 132

Lintini

May 5, 2012
Bay Area California
Parrots
Margret-Mealy Amazon 28 (family parrot), Petri- Peach Front Conure 4, Chloe- Congo African Grey 24 and Rio- Blue Crown Conure 4 !! :D
My five month old grey loves to play under the coffee table and taste toes! Then he puts his foot up and says ehhhhh! when he wants back up!

Most Reactions

Latest posts