My baby Ringneck

Safira

Sep 27, 2011
Aberdeen, Md
Parrots
Safira (B&G Macaw)~~ Gracie (CAG) ~ Lucy (CAG)
I have no advice, Pedro gives good advice.. But I wanted to say that he is sooooo cute.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I think if he was older, Pedro would have mentioned it. It's been a looonngg time since I've had a baby that I went to visit at the breeders every week, but I think Briana looked similar at that age, maybe less feathers overall. I think she was about that age when she first started trying to climb onto my arm. She couldn't, but she tried.

He is awfully cute!

OP
M

Marty

Mar 12, 2012
Marty's growing up! 5 and a half weeks old!

2a0kxz6.jpg

Are there any signs to know whether he's going to be a pet or will he just bite me, I spend every minute I'm home with him.

OP
M

Marty

Mar 12, 2012
My IRN is always on one foot in his plastic habitat, is this a good or bad thing? Also he still nibbles on my fingers while I pet him and he's frightened of my mother. He's 6 weeks old now. He's also getting very pretty I think all his feathers are in.

Ria

Jun 6, 2011
Media
Albums
Uk, Hampshire / Gosport
Parrots
Indian Ringneck: Damien

RIP: Dempsey & Winston
My IRN is always on one foot in his plastic habitat, is this a good or bad thing? Also he still nibbles on my fingers while I pet him and he's frightened of my mother. He's 6 weeks old now. He's also getting very pretty I think all his feathers are in.

I heard when birds rest on one foot it is a good sign that they are comfortable. It's good he sounds like he will make a lovely pet as you have had him from so young. Keep petting him and letting him know that 'hands' are good and he doesn't need to be scared of them. :)

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I don't know about babies as young as yours, but in older birds it's a good thing to see them sleeping or resting on one foot. He is a very cute baby!

OP
M

Marty

Mar 12, 2012
He is already weaned, he has a diet of wheat bread, golden apples, and pellets. Today he took flight out of his habitat, I wonder if it's time to be moved in the big cage? It's meant for a Grey IRN so he might be too small for it. He's also very scared of my mom but not me. What can I do to change this.

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
The only difference between a grey, blue, green, yellow, or white IRN is the color, they should be roughly the same size. If he is fully feathered and flying he should be old enough to go into a cage, just make sure the room is kind of warm and you may want to keep the perches a bit low until he is a bit more sturdy.
Also, I would ditch the bread or only offer it as a treat. You want to offer him a wide variety of vegetables and fruits everyday, and he should be getting more veggies than fruit.

Most Reactions