My birds tail is broken... Oh no.!

Linkto4

Apr 16, 2013
Hi everyone,
My conures tail is broken, seems to be over pruning and by hopping around the cage. What's going to happen? Will it grow back or it's permenant?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 4,850

HalfInsane

Dec 23, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Pixel: female senegal, hatched Dec 15, 2011
Yes, it will grow back when he/she molts out their tail feathers next. However, since your bird does appear to be chewing on its feathers a trip to the vet is also in order to avoid the problem becoming worse.

OP
L

Linkto4

Apr 16, 2013
Yes, it will grow back when he/she molts out their tail feathers next. However, since your bird does appear to be chewing on its feathers a trip to the vet is also in order to avoid the problem becoming worse.

How does a trip to the vet help?

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)

How does a trip to the vet help?

So they can figure out why the bird chewed / barbered his tail feathers to begin with. It could be an irritation due to diet/dry skin, a coping mechanism from boredom, a cramped cage, stress, etc. If they figure out why the bird is doing it, you can help the bird work towards stopping future incidents. The problem could get worse and he could harm himself if it is not addressed quickly.

Hope all goes well with your birdie, keep us updated!

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
Please do bring your birdie to an Avian Vet. It is very important. The mutilating of feathers is a sign of someting -- a message from your bird to you.

Most Reactions