my cats taking a turn for the worse

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
my cat cant urinate and hes crying in pain:(, were taking him to the vet at 3:45, i just wanted to let it out around animal lovers. ill keep you posted.

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
Awwww I hope he will be ok! Hugs to you!

OP
ann

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
thank you, it looks like we cought on earlier then last time (see signiture), so he might fair better. maxie died of invasive kidney cancer, but this looks like UTI, which is more treatable.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
My partner says it might be bladder infection and that's common in cats! I hope he's feeling better soon, good luck at the vet!

OP
ann

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
thank you im pretty nervous because hes really skittish and doesnt usually like to be pet but he still has a bond with us, if it does come down to the end i want to say good by to him but i dont want him to be scared

OP
ann

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
well were getting ready to take him now, im so nervous about him and money, i tell you how it goes. thank you all for your kind replies.

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
Poor kitty! UTIs (and kidney infections) are pretty common in cats, and easily treatable with antibiotics. Hopefully that's all it is. Keep us updated! <3

mele

Jul 26, 2011
California
Parrots
Lotty- Umbrella Cockatoo,
Scarlet- Scarlet Macaw,
Paco- Lilac Amazon, Josh-blue front amazon
Good luck my thoughts are with you both.

Last edited:
OP
ann

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
its either a mucus plug or bladder stones, but he has an enlarged bladder. they put him on a catheter and will keep him over night to see if he can urinate on his own. im releived but still worried. the vet bill is verry big...thank you for your kind words and support so far so good.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
I hope he turns out ok!!! Prayers be with you!!! We love our kitties and would very upset if same thing happens to us.

Last edited:
OP
ann

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
hi every one, thank you for all your support. it turns out he has crystals in his urine. they put him on a catheter and removed it in the morning. the vet thought it was a blockage or bladder stones. we took him home yesterday and he peed on his own, i have never been so happy to see a cat pee in my whole life lol! he slept like never before and is letting me pet him a little bit. this is rare because him and his sibblings used to be strays but he was the only one who didnt really get that tame. the hard part is the pills....he has a very small apetite right now so sneaking it in his food isnt working great and no one wants to help me force it down like the vet said im still working on getting him the pills

Last edited:

mele

Jul 26, 2011
California
Parrots
Lotty- Umbrella Cockatoo,
Scarlet- Scarlet Macaw,
Paco- Lilac Amazon, Josh-blue front amazon
Im glad he's feeling better. My cat had the same problem he too is better but he has to eat a special diet sold at the vets. Now he has a weight problem :) I still have to keep a close eye on him because of his age, the vet said the problem might return.

OP
ann

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
we also have a special diet now, im glad your cat was ok. we ended up crushing the pill and mixing it with water and wet cat food juice (eeew o.e) and put it in a needle-ess syringe and pushed it down.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Im glad he's doing better!!! I feed my cats grain free food since one have allergies and so far 4health indoor formula been great!!! Both of mine were strays too but one was very young when I rescued him but the girl grew up outside, she's a super sweet feral cat considering she was raised outside. She came to me from day one but is shy towards other people. She asks me to hold her and give her love all the time. For someone like me whose never been a cat person to love these two, im a changed person!!! I had to give pills to Pearl at the beginning cause she was very ill when I took her in, I had to force her to take them and she did just fine. Fiyero my boy have never been sick so I never had to give him any pills. They're both are about the same age at 2 years old. So we'll have them for a very long time!! :)

OP
ann

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
rescue cats truly are differnt in a good way ;), i love mine! we also call him scaredy cat. i know what you mean, from the beggining maxie, the one in my sig :(, took a likeing to me and i was allways his favorite. he used to role on his back for belly rubs like a dog, and come to see you when you got home. if i meowed out loud (i sound crazy right now lol) he would come running from the other room to me. i love all my cats the same but he was just so sweet. we have my sick cat in our bathroom (hes in quarintine so we can monitor him). i thought the temporary isolation might help him bond to me but it seems the better he gets the less he wants to be pet lol. i love him for who he is though so its ok :), pluss in the morning all the cats get really happy to see us, even after they have eaten, we can usually pet him then :)

Most Reactions