my cockatiel has had an accident

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
ok, this is nothing serious but I wanted to run it by some of you to get your thoughts.

one of my cockatiels got out of the bedroom today, without us knowing, and seemed to fly into something, and now has a bloody,bleeding beak.:eek:
She must have flown/smashed into something to get a scrape/cut like that.
It miraculous that she didn't get eaten as we have four cats.
2 were asleep, one was on the climbing post, and the other one was no where to be found,so I don't think it was any of them that caused this.

Luckily all three dogs were out side at the time

I brought Angus back into the bedroom and all she wanted to do was cuddle with me. After a bit I put her back into the cage, and all she has done is sleep and is very quiet when she's awake.
The bleeding has stopped thank goodness.

I have metacam here if need be for cockatiels, can you think of anything else I can do for her or put on to ease her discomfort??

IMG_3295_zps74c9c8a4.jpg Photo by bmckellar735 | Photobucket

IMG_3291_zpsf6efc8e3.jpg Photo by bmckellar735 | Photobucket

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Ruby- Solomans Island Grand Eclectus ***
Flora- Panama Amazon
It could possibly have suffered a head injury in the crash or could be in shock from the injury. I would recommend a vet visit to be on the safe side.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
OMG, I'm sorry that happened to you!!!!! I've seen that happen before years ago with one of my tiels. He flew into something to cause it but he healed in no time. Could you clean the blood off to see the extent of the damage done??? It could be a cause for concern so a visit to the vet can give you a peace of mind.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Ouch!!!!

Looks like the cere or nose is bleeding, not so much the beak itself, but hard to say for sure. Wouldn't hurt to have a vet visit. Short of that, keep her calm and comfortable. If she's not up to eating much then give her whatever it is that she is willing to eat!

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
thanks everyone....she is sleeping, and watching her closely

stupid budgie got out of his cage and my daughter was trying to catch him, which sent all of my other birds that were out into a state of chaos....I wasn't in the room, and heard all these noises, I opened the bedroom door to see what was going on and that is when angus flew out not realizing she had gotten out. It wasn't until 15 minutes or so later did my daughter spot her flying around our living room!!

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
**update**....I've been checking on Angus every 1/2 hour or so, now the poor thing has a bruised beak, and she had not eaten.
so I decided to give her some Metacam that I had left over from another cockatiel, and gave her a little less dosage than what was on the bottle, just to be on the safe side.

then I hand fed her with some formula, and she readily stepped on to my hand, and took maybe 1cc.....walked off, then came back for a little more

She seemed to perk up a little after that moving around the cage which she has not done since her accident. I know her beak is sore and could be why she is not eating.

lets hope she is better tomorrow, at worst case I have metacam and formula, to get her thru the worst of it, if not were off to the vets

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
I hope she's feeling better tomorrow!!!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Me too, I hope she feels better tomorrow!!!!

Pajarita

Banned
Banned
Jul 11, 2013
Put her in a cage by herself, put the perches low, cover three sides of it with a towel (or whatever) leaving the front open for light and put a heating pad under it (warmth comforts them when they are not feeling well and they like to 'hide' when they are vulnerable). The metacam will help with the pain so you did good. Give her soft food and keep her quiet. You can take her to the vet if it will give you peace of mind but, in reality, the only thing she could have is a concussion and there is nothing a vet can do for that (they can't even tell if the bird is suffering from one or not) except recommend peace, quiet and warmth.

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Put her in a cage by herself, put the perches low, cover three sides of it with a towel (or whatever) leaving the front open for light and put a heating pad under it (warmth comforts them when they are not feeling well and they like to 'hide' when they are vulnerable). The metacam will help with the pain so you did good. Give her soft food and keep her quiet. You can take her to the vet if it will give you peace of mind but, in reality, the only thing she could have is a concussion and there is nothing a vet can do for that (they can't even tell if the bird is suffering from one or not) except recommend peace, quiet and warmth.

agreed, she is in a cage with my other baby cockatiels, so it's fairly quiet.

I think her neck is sore, she attempted to try eat, but stopped abruptly when her neck started to extend outwards to eat, so I hand fed her, she ate about 3cc's.

I'm going to put a different cup in the cage right in front of her so it's right there if she wants it, and fill it right to the brim so she doesn't have to extend her neck

she's still puffy, her beak is bruised(blueish)but not sleepy like yesterday.
my poor baby:(:(
I'll give her some metacam now, we were at wal-mart shopping for back to school things....$160.00 later---OUCH!

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
she is still not eating, except with hand feeding formula, it's not that she doesn't want to eat, I think it pains her to stretch her neck out, and I'm beginning to wonder if her upper mandible(maxilla) is quite sore.

I have filled two different types of dishes full to the brim with food, but nothing.
this is frustrating, she seems a bit better today, and is moving around a little more.

I got her out of the cage today for some cuddle time, and in the half hour I gently stroked her head, she did not move a muscle.

you can see in the pic. how her beak is bruised, geez I just wish I saw what had happened!!!

http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/bmckellar735/media/IMG_3313_zps28b7f1a6.jpg.html

Last edited:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
AAAWWW...the poor bub. :( Is there still blood on her beak, Beth? Did the upper beak crack open, or are my eyes playing tricks on me? :eek:

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
AAAWWW...the poor bub. :( Is there still blood on her beak, Beth? Did the upper beak crack open, or are my eyes playing tricks on me? :eek:

funny you should mention that, my daughter said she thought it looked cracked.

I'll have to take a closer look at it, I didn't want to handle her much today except for some tlc, and just let her be.
I can't seem to locate my glasses to get a good look at it, everything close up is blurry which doesn't help me much.....it stinks as you get older :(

...just checked with my daughter and I found another older pair of glasses, yup it's a crack....now what?? how serious is that??
when we came home she was on the bottom of the cage eating!, we have a large plate of food on the bottom for my baby cockatiels and she was chowing down.

Last edited:
OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
thanks for the link, you just saved me about 15 minutes!!, it's been such a busy crazy day, I've been out a lot, and have a mild migraine :(
according to the link, I think it's a mild crack, there is no bleeding, swelling or oozing of any kind, and she's now eating and moving around the cage.
By tomorrow, there should be more of an improvement.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
I know that an a-vet could glue the cracks on a beak to prevent further damage...

Does she have access to millet?

Glad she's finally eating some on her own!

Pajarita

Banned
Banned
Jul 11, 2013
If she is eating, everything is OK. I have a tiel with a split mandible (lower jaw bone) which makes his beak be separated into two halves and, unfortunately for him, they move a bit when he eats but he eats soft food very well and is now a normal weight (he was skin and bones when I got him), a miracle considering that he has both advanced liver and kidney damage AND a split beak but they are much hardier than we think they are. Continue feeding soft food (cooked brown rice/barley/wheat kernels) and monitor the new growth to see if it comes up whole or split.

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
good news, she seemed much more perky this morning when I woke up, so I let her out of the cage by herself,,,,she proceeded to do her 'rounds' in the bedroom, celebrating free flight, then wanted to come in with me when I had a shower. I put her on her shower perch and she dosed, which told me, she's better but still tires easily.(normally she loves getting wet and pruning)

....and best of all she's eating regularly!!....I think she got off lucky this time :)

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
Poor Angus ! I had a similar accident that happened to Pepsi . His cere had a scrape on it and there was a hint of blood. It wasn't serious , though I was worried about damage to the head . I kept him on a close guard for a week , for dizzyness and unusual behavior but he was fine after a good long nap .

Most Reactions

Latest posts