Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Trish's post was well stated - I was wondering the exact same thing!! That it is SOMETHING ELSE bothering him, and he is using the bird as an excuse. It just doesn't make any sense otherwise. That was my FIRST impression when I first read your story, that he's covering up an issue. I just didn't know how to put it so eloquently as Trish ;)
So, I don't think it's about the bird. I DO believe there will still be a day you will get your B&G Macaw! Just maybe much later on after all is settled with the family, your husband is comfortable with the financial situation and kids are a little older. :) I am willing to bet he changes his mind back again at that time!!

Last edited:

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
That was also my first impression- that he's got something else bothering him and he's taking it out on your birds....which isn't fair IMHO. Sounds like you should have a heart-to-heart discussion with him about what's really going on....

I also don't think you should give up on your dream- it may get postponed a bit, but I don't think you should give up on it :)

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
I think in time your husband will understand how important a macaw is to you. It is not like you are wanting to get pregnant after the 6th child. No wait..I guess it is like having a child that lives for a LONG time.

For now I would back off and continue breeding and working with your art and raise your family. I bet it will not take that long either.

After Diego passed away about 6 months later I began to think about getting a RFM. At the time my partner was dead set against it because Diego's death was so painful. I think she was terrified to love another bird and just didn't want to deal with it. It took me a while to convince her getting the RFM would be a good thing and help us heal.

Eventually she gave in because she saw how miserable I was and was having trouble moving on after Diego died. I do NOT think your dream is crushed but just put on hold.

OP
Kinny

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
Sorry i haven't replied, laptop died officially and typing on this phone is annoying *eye twitch*

Thank you for all your input peoples, it's been very helpful!

I wrote EVERYTHING down for my husband to read when he had the time. And then we had a big talk.

He's stressed because of his UC (Ulcerative Colitis) flaring up. And apparently he just wants us/me to have more then enough money before we buy a BG. So money for the purchase, in case we have an emergency vet visit, cage/toy supplies..etc. And he just wants to keep breeding birds because, even though he denies it most of the time, he likes them.. But he's been wanting more pairs to increase income so i can get my Macaw. He said he was just having a very off few days.. And he didnt want to spend money on a macaw when we have a baby on the way... O.O But i dont want the macaw right now, for that very reason..

He's finally realised how badly i need birds around (inside moreso, as pets). Lots of reasons.. Main one is helping me manage and think more positively.

Funny how a lot of people say "You have 2 kids.. How could you handle raising baby birds AS WELL!?" ...Quite simply. I am actually far less stressed and far more organised when I've got birds/a bird inside, and the birds always get loads of attention, as do my kids. But they prefer their toys , the birds themselves, and Daddy lol. I'm just the Food Giver.

So nice to have it sorted out *sighs in relief* My dream of the Macaw is back on track and closer than I thought it would be.. It seems my hubby is wanting to get one for me soon, but i should earn it myself.. Which is actually probably a far better thing to do than getting 'gifted' the funds. So Yay!

Dream is back! :)

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Outback Western Australia
Parrots
Alex- Eclectus, Ariel- whiteface, Junior- pied, Custard-lutino, Ziggy- pearl cockatiels, Kermit- Princess parrot, Jade- Plumhead parrot, George- budgie, Coco- Rainbow lorikeet, Corey-Little Corella.
Good news, Kinny, I'm glad for you :blue1:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Yay!! See? I thought it was only something like that. Good news... Back on track! :)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I'm glad it all worked out!!! See what I mean about happy wife happy life!!!! :D

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Mikey there are some times when it only takes one sentence from you to have me rolling on the floor laughing. This is one of those times. :D :D :D

Most Reactions