my egg is broken HELP!!!

danika3g

Aug 24, 2015
Parrots
Blue-headed pionus and 2 Sun conures
my sun conure female tried to eat her egg and now its got a hole in it but the albumen isn't cracked. I put sticky tape over the hole to stop infection but i need a long term solution.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
How old is the egg?

In your other thread you said it was the male.

I have only ever heard of tape as a solution for cracked eggs, but I could be wrong.

The bigger problem here is, why did the egg get cracked in the first place?

OP
D

danika3g

Aug 24, 2015
Parrots
Hello, it was actually the male AND female who were cracking it. If I put it in the incubator will it live and how do I stop them from doing this again? The egg is a day old

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Incubation of a parrot egg is a fine art even if the egg is damaged, and especially if the egg is under two weeks old, so I would say no, it will not survive. In order to help try to determine why it happened we would need to know a lot about your set up.

Mekaisto

Jan 8, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Zookeeper who has worked with many bird species, and owner of a cheeky red-tailed black cockatoo (Ash)
Put a non-toxic gum type glue over the tape/crack before you incubate it. Make sure you don't get too much glue on the rest of the egg, or it will affect the rate of respiration in the egg.
If you need any help with incubation, let me know. Do you have an incubator?

OP
D

danika3g

Aug 24, 2015
Parrots
I don't have an incubator and I removed the normal tape and put micro-pore paper tape instead. The egg is currently in a cool dark place.

I have put fake eggs in place of the real ones.

Shes now stopped laying and we were only able to save the one cracked one from being totally destroyed. Should I put it back in the box since its only one(we don't even know if its fertile).

Last edited:

Mekaisto

Jan 8, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Zookeeper who has worked with many bird species, and owner of a cheeky red-tailed black cockatoo (Ash)
It should not be in a cool place - it needs to be kept at around 37.5'C or 99.5 F to develop. If it is too cold for too long, it will die.

You could put it back if you wanted to, but I don't think it will hatch. Does the male try to go into the box often?

Most Reactions