My first conure!!

Lovelyloribeth

Jul 15, 2012
Georgia
Parrots
💙ChiChi~GCC~2 yrs.💙
💚Red~IRN~4 mos.💚

💛Houdini~Sun Conure~2 yrs.💛
Tomorrow I'm picking up my first parrot. He's a green cheek. I have a lovebird which I adore. But Chi-Chi (conure) is a whole new world. I have experience with birds but not parrots. I've read a lot but I wanted to know other people who owned them as well. :) any advice besides obvious things would be great!

I can't wait to pick him up tomorrow!! Here is my Chi-Chi!!
13e83c36.jpg

:green2:

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Senegal: Oliver ~~
Yellow-Sided GCC's: Bella and Zora ~~
R.I.P Tweeters the Cockatiel<3
Congrats! I have two GCCs (the short term for green cheek conured) Bella and Zora. They are the most playful, sweetest, and loyal birds I've ever seen. GCCs actually almost remind me of dogs. They are SO energetic and playful, loyal to their owner (mine will follow me everywhere if I'm 5 feet away, and wake me up when they come and look for me at the other end of the house in the morning.) and love to be in the middle of things!
My girlies love shreddable toys like chinese finger traps, and the only wood they will play with is popsicle sticks... That's their preference.
Fave treats:apples, strawberry (super messy), bell pepper, unsauced pasta, and dried cherries and cranberries (no added sugar)
Most conures LOVE Happy Huts, mine do, but be VERY careful because on the rare occasion a conure may die by getting tangled on the two loops at the top... inspect regularly.
No dowel perches. One may be okay, but it's important to exercise feet with different sized perches..
Give 'em baths regularly 2 or 3 times a week, if you want, everyday. GCCs are called 'water birds', they love water. Find their favorite way to be washed. (misted, in a bowl, in the shower, etc.)
Just some tips and things to try... Think I got it all LOL. And correct me, but isn't a lovebird a parrot too...?

OP
Lovelyloribeth

Lovelyloribeth

Jul 15, 2012
Georgia
Parrots
💙ChiChi~GCC~2 yrs.💙
💚Red~IRN~4 mos.💚

Thanks for all the great advice. I bought a water bottle today. And a happy hut!! So glad I did now.

Yes lovebirds are parrots. The smallest breed of them too. However not as interactive as larger parrots. Sebastian is abnoxiously cute. Haha. And I think he knows it. He does mimic whistles and tunes. He can be taught words but he's only 4 months old and hasn't learned any yet.

I was thinking of buying a shower perch. Have you seen these?? To take them in the shower to etch on and let them shower lol. They are really neat looking.

Also I have lots of chewable and real wood perches. So I think I'm good there. Can I give him rolls of paper like you can give larger parrots?? Like a receipt paper roll. I have a friend who hangs these on their play gyms. They chew them to bits!

Parrotmamma

May 2, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Crackers ~ a Green cheek conure , Cosmo~ a Timneh African Grey
He is adorable !!! you are gonna love being owned by a GCC.... LOL

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Thanks for all the great advice. I bought a water bottle today. And a happy hut!! So glad I did now.

Yes lovebirds are parrots. The smallest breed of them too. However not as interactive as larger parrots. Sebastian is abnoxiously cute. Haha. And I think he knows it. He does mimic whistles and tunes. He can be taught words but he's only 4 months old and hasn't learned any yet.

I was thinking of buying a shower perch. Have you seen these?? To take them in the shower to etch on and let them shower lol. They are really neat looking.

Also I have lots of chewable and real wood perches. So I think I'm good there. Can I give him rolls of paper like you can give larger parrots?? Like a receipt paper roll. I have a friend who hangs these on their play gyms. They chew them to bits!
Oh okay. I LOVE the name Sebastian! :)
I have seen shower perches! I think they work very well and I am thinking of getting one because at the moment my girls only allow me to shower with one hand. :p
Rolls of paper are great! You can try these toys:
Shred Master Bird Toy: Bird preening toys at Drs. Foster & Smith

Pet Bird ShreddableToy: Super Bird Creations Tape Dispenser Bird Toy

Um, I hate to say this, but most receipt paper contain BPA which is what makes it smoth and glossy, and it is slowly harming birds everywhere. :11::( It is toxic but doesn't take effect immediately, I would consider getting one of the toys above which isn't toxic and is the same texture as construction paper, and (I really do hate to say this) have your freind stop giving receipt paper to her birds. Newspaper is better, in fact, I give my senegal the whole phonebook and he loves it! :D

Kern2012

Jun 9, 2012
Pittsburgh,PA
Parrots
Cinnamon GCC and GCC
ConureCrazy is exactly right on everything especially about the dog thing! Mine reminds me of a dog too! They are awesome birds!!!! Congrads and enjoy every moment cause they are unpredictable but well worth it!!!! :rainbow1:

choreokyeelove

Jul 16, 2012
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure named Cho-Rok or can be called Baby
Yay! Welcome to the GCC family!:) you will love fall in love with him right away! I have never owned a parrot either but after getting Cho-Rok (my GCC) I can see why everybody loves them!

OP
Lovelyloribeth

Lovelyloribeth

Jul 15, 2012
Georgia
Parrots
💙ChiChi~GCC~2 yrs.💙
💚Red~IRN~4 mos.💚

I'm so glad I asked about the receipt paper. She puts a rope thru them and just ties them up. and boy them birds shred them to bits!! So so glad I asked.
That's great about the shower perch because I read how much they I've water and seen it but didn't know if other owners had one or considered it.
I will gladly be owned by him! I'm so super excited to pick him up I'm having trouble sleeping. The sad part is I have to drive 2 and a half hours to get him. We live in southeast Georgia and he is in north Florida. The truck will be cooled by the time we get there. But what can I do to make his long trip home more comfortable? I'm having a friend drive me since I wanna play with him on the way back. Hehe. Should I take any snacks or anything for him? Just want to be sure he's not crazy stressed from the drive.
I ordered first paper shredding toy. It does look a lot safer than the receipt paper.
Also, should I leave him in his cage for a day or so to get used to his new surroundings before taking him out? Or will he be ok to play when we get to the house?
So sorry for all the questions and long replies!
Yall have a been a great help. I know a lot of the basics but the things I'm asking I think can only be answered by fellow GCC owners!

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
hey no problem about the questions! You should have seen me when I first joined here LOL. Yeah, the shower perch is great! I keep on forgetting to order one, lol. ;)
And as long as the truck is cool he should be fine. You can bring along things that he might like (berries, grapes, pasta, etc.) to make him happy about being in the car.
I forgot the bag of treats I had when I brought my senegal home, so we stopped by McDonalds just for apples LOL.
Well, I read about leaving your new bird in the cage for a night, but my girls did not want any part of it. When getting put in the cage, they happened to see the amazing playgym on top and wanted to be playing on it ASAP. However, when I first got my sennie Oliver, we was freaked out so I gave him his space. I guess you just have to decide depending on how your bird reacts.

Grenage

Jun 1, 2012
Portsmouth, UK.
Parrots
Aizen: YS-GCC
should I leave him in his cage for a day or so to get used to his new surroundings before taking him out? Or will he be ok to play when we get to the house?

As usual, it depends on the bird; a day or two to adjust is a good idea if he looks nervous and shies away. Ours was/is a fearless merchant of doom, ho was more that happy to be out, within 5 minutes of being through the door.

OP
Lovelyloribeth

Lovelyloribeth

Jul 15, 2012
Georgia
Parrots
💙ChiChi~GCC~2 yrs.💙
💚Red~IRN~4 mos.💚

Aw! I hope he's fearless too!! I'm leaving now! I'll post pictures and let everyone know how he's doing! Thanks for all the advice I'm sure I'll be back before the nights over with more questions! Lol

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Forrest -Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure, Nacho- Sun Conure
As far as shower perches go, I have seen pics of the birds actually getting under the water stream and flapping their wings. This might actually scare them. My Gcc sits on his shower perch until I finish showering, then I move him to my finger and let the water fall into my other hand and splash on him. I turn him all the way around so he can get nice and wet. That is the way he likes it and he will sit remarkably still until I am ready to shower him. He loves the steam I guess. I always turn on water and we step in with the water running. He loved it from day one and we do it every day. Make sure the water isn't too hot.

Trina

Jun 23, 2012
Nashville tn
Parrots
Screech - Sun Conure
Gitana - Eclectus
you can make your own shower perch or window perch I did using the DYI guide on the boards, very simple u just need vetwrap and PVC which is cheap. most shower perches for sale or PVC anyway. You can make one for your bird and even add a toy hook to the top. I made 2 i one for my conure and one for my eclectus it was cheap I spent around 11 bux total to get all the materials and I still have material to make more if i wanted to or make a Tstand..

I would make sure u keep word blocks on hand or even a wooden dowel cut into pieces. my conure tore is perch up shredded it. so to keep him from gnawing on the perches I put different lengths of dowels in his play area so he can chomp those instead

DebsFlock

Banned
Banned
Jul 19, 2012
Los Angeles County, near Palmdale
Parrots
Scooter -- male Green Cheek Conure "Normal" but that's a matter of opinion! Hatched in March 2010

Scotty -- Male Cape Parrot hatched somewhere between 2007-2009 we think

Caballo Blanco -- male C
Mine loves bathing in the sink, he was not overly impressed when I took him into the shower. I've heard that other GCC like to splash around, so you might try that as well. Scooter's favorite scenario is a sink with the drain closed and a soft stream of water making an increasingly deep puddle. Just make sure he can climb out if it gets too deep!

OP
Lovelyloribeth

Lovelyloribeth

Jul 15, 2012
Georgia
Parrots
💙ChiChi~GCC~2 yrs.💙
💚Red~IRN~4 mos.💚

Y'all are fabulous!!

First I picked him up and he was so so soooo brave! It was a long ride but he did remarkably well!! We've been home for a few hours and I'm folding clothes on my bed and his cage is on my dresser for now. (I don't want my boys to bug him yet) every time I leave the room He squawks at me and I comeback to a fluffed up, head turning conure. Lol. I'm not doing too much right now since he's getting used to everything. He comes right to me tho and sits on my shoulder when I do play with him. :) he's sooooo sweet too. He lauded back in my hand and let me rub his belly. Sweet ill guy. I just love him. :D I'll get pictures tomorrow. But hubby is getting PVC like you said. Anyway, I thank y'all so much!! Oh and he's picking out all of the sunflower seeds from his food and eating just them lol. I got him Healthy Select. It seemed like the best one?

OP
Lovelyloribeth

Lovelyloribeth

Jul 15, 2012
Georgia
Parrots
💙ChiChi~GCC~2 yrs.💙
💚Red~IRN~4 mos.💚

ChiChi dances!! Holy crap!! He says "dance" and bobs up and down to music!! And he loves Cheerios! Here is a pic of his Cheerios crumbs on hubby's shoulder!

2012-07-25214713.jpg

Sweet dreams y'all!:green2::D

Trina

Jun 23, 2012
Nashville tn
Parrots
Screech - Sun Conure
Gitana - Eclectus
watch those seeds, preferably get him on a pellet that has no color zupreem or harrison those are the best IMO. Conures love sunflower seeds and just pick those out and toss the rest of the food..I learned this the hard way..when i got my bird the store have me 1lb of seed 1/4lb of pellets this isnt ideal i learned, mine became a seed junie quick and he wasn't on a seed /pellet diet but 30 days after i had him. he gets no seed anymore just sunflower seeds as treats when i want to teach him tricks....conures love fresh fruits and veggies to.

On the top of his cage he has a play area that has his bowl off veggies and fruits, I have to fill this every morning and open his cage so he can get up there.. He does not go for his pellets first in the morning. If that veggie/fruit bowl is empty ohhh goodness he will screech until someone fills it LOL

Trina

Jun 23, 2012
Nashville tn
Parrots
Screech - Sun Conure
Gitana - Eclectus
LOL Try lady gaga poker face omg mine goes nuts kinda stomps and bobs the head, he even makes a screech during certain beats of the song

OP
Lovelyloribeth

Lovelyloribeth

Jul 15, 2012
Georgia
Parrots
💙ChiChi~GCC~2 yrs.💙
💚Red~IRN~4 mos.💚

I don't think he ever had fruit and veggies? I'll cut him up a bowl of chichi salad tomorrow :) I should get him off of seed all together? I can buy bags of plain unsalted sunflower seeds. I'll try to get him off seeds. My lovebird is a seed junkie. I took seed away and gave him a salad and didn't eat Any of it. So I gave seed back cuz I wAs scared he'd starve. Tips on switching him??

Most Reactions